Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

To be fair i don't think Indians care too much about Haddin. Hussey and especially Cowan were more annoying cos they are actually good batsman

Ok, i hope sachin gets out with a wrong decision when his turns come to bat which i think i will cover up cowan and Hussey. :p

Cowan Disimissal was 50/50, otherwise tony greig would have not added "maybe" in his twitter comment.

To be fair i don't think Indians care too much about Haddin. Hussey and especially Cowan were more annoying cos they are actually good batsman

We didn't but now we are starting to care :p. Should have wrapped up the tail within 250.

----------

Ok, i hope sachin gets out with a wrong decision when his turns come to bat which i think i will cover up cowan and Hussey. :p

Cowan Disimissal was 50/50, otherwise tony greig would have not added "maybe" in his twitter comment.
Naah. I would prefer another howler going Australia's way in this inning itself. Haddin's plumb decision has already made up for the Cowan. ;)

50/50 lol. If that was sachin you wouldn't have said it was 50/50.

i am calling Cowan Dismissal 50/50, because sachin has suffererd more wrong decision that any other cricketer in history of cricket.
Bucknor alone has given him 8-10 time out when he has not out clearly.

BTW, Ian Chappel also thinks that Cowan Decision was out and other decision (Hussey and Haddin) were mistake not any howler, which will be same for both team through out the series.

Anyway, i don't want to stretch discussion on this topic further and waste my time. Both Teams played really well and hoping for the same in next 4 days. Match is evenly poised right now.

Last edited:
By the way, does anybody know why star cricket wasn't showing the bowler speed ?? For very first over of match, it was channel 9 info bar and they were showing bowler's speed but from 2nd over they replaced channel 9 info bar with star cricket info bar :(

They always mess up during the start of a big series. During England tour this same problem occurred. They managed to solve it by next day. Lets hope they fix it tomorrow too. :thumbs

Well, India have just blown it away. Although few years back you would have taken a score 277/6 against Australians but this is just not acceptable to let Peter Siddle score.

We need to bowl them out below 300 tomorrow for sure. Also about DRS, you suffer a bit, but what can you do? It is not going to be the part just move on

I expect that it's giving trust to the umpires that they can make the right decision and all, but the game has progressed and technology has ultimately been good for it so it's just ridiculous, if the ICC want DRS, every team should have it.

I think that's spot on. Once upon a time I'd say "it's all part of the game", but not anymore. The game's changed. To be honest I think it probably started changing as soon as slow mo replays were introduced, but now that everyone else has been using UDRS for quite a while the change is complete. I think I've just grown used to umpiring decisions being right. That's why a howler in your favour feels like cheating now (eg Phil Hughes at Hobart), which definitely wasn't the case 2-3 years ago.

It staggers me that "camera-only UDRS" hasn't been agreed as a compromise baseline requirement. Are these people incapable of figuring out what they have in common?

For the DRS, I'd go with Ian Chappell, keep it consistent! In for everyone or out for everyone. I'd like to see it being implemented though.

Well, what a shithouse day of cricket. Two idiotic appeals get rewarded by idiotic umpires and every replay and piece of technology shows it clear as day. I can only hope it gets evened out and then some over the rest of the series, otherwise the BCCI will be patting themselves on the back.

Not to forget how Hotspot was inaccurate when India toured Eng. And the 3rd umpire gave Dravid out based on his own whims. So yes hotspot may or may not have been saved Hussey here based on the whims of the 3rd umpire.

Yes, but it was pretty clear that Hussey didn't even touch the ball. You didn't need hotspot to see it.

1st Test, Day 1: Ed Cowan?s solid focus on debut

Article by baggy_blogger - 1st Test, Day 1: Ed Cowan?s solid focus on debut

Before heading into a basic look at the days play, I would like to express my condolences to Lachy Patterson (Cricket Australia Media Manager) after the devastating tragedy his family will be working through.
The Baggy Greens wore black arm bands following the birth complications of Lachy and Louise Patterson?s twin baby daughters Annie and Millie. It?s just so sad and from the Baggy Green Blog we wish them a sense of comfort as they work through this loss.

Scorecard via Cricinfo.com

Australia: 6-277 from 89 overs.
Ed Cowan 68, Ricky Ponting 62, Peter Siddle 34*, Brad Haddin 21*

Ed Cowan was the debutant (Baggy Green #427) and what a sensational job he did!
He took a while to get nestled into the game and he negotiated some very good bowling from the Indian quicks with the new ball but after his partnership with Ricky Ponting began to take flight, Ed began to express his skills with some cracking drives and putting away 7 boundaries.

He drifted along at a strike-rate of 38.41 before getting out. It was a very cautious innings but this is what I have been wanting to see from one of our opening batsmen. With David Warner capable of blasting any attack around it makes them a balanced duo of what I have wanted to see. A duo with an attacker and a grafter. Ed will be frustrated not just with the fifty/fifty decision regarding the edge behind he may have or may have not had, but also because he didn?t convert all that hard work into a bigger score.
However, to score 68 runs on debut for the Boxing Day Test in a testing time for Australian cricket against India, well that?s good enough in my opinion. He has begun his career and the stability he brought was vital!

Well done Ed, that is a wonderful start and he can be mighty proud. Not many openers get it right and kudos to the Selectors for picking a man based on current form and boasting an urgently needed style of batting.

David Warner played well for his 37 runs but was perhaps a little too eager to carry on with his free range of attacking shots. He didn?t take long to settle into some rhythm with some muscled cover drives and one brutal pull shot for six. It had me grinning because the last opening batsman we had who would have done something like that was Matty Hayden.

After the attempted hook shot to get out caught behind, yes I was disappointing but I still have rock solid belief in David ?Pitbull? Warner?s abilities to be our long-term opening batsman. It wasn?t a technical flaw that saw him walk but rather a shot he just couldn?t resist, an element of his natural game. It will come right in time.

Shaun Marsh played a loose shot which was a little out of character for him and it was a bit costly but I still have no worries about Shaun. He?ll get some serious runs soon enough. It could have just been a serious case of nerves and when the ball looked good to blast as a square drive he probably could have held back to try get off the mark but he tried to take his chance. That was a huge upset as I was so excited to see him graft away in his first Test match innings in Australia. Next time.

Ricky Ponting shared a crucial stand of 113 runs with Ed Cowan.
Punter managed to score 62 runs (Punter?s third half-century in his last 5 Test innings) and got out just before the closure of an important passage of play. He generally delivers a special innings for Boxing Day Tests.
I was gutted to see him not carry on after making yet another start but in the context of a game against India it could prove to be important.
Punter was shaky, he was rattled (that second ball into the grill followed by quick reflexes) and he had some close calls but after seeing it through the testing periods he started to open up his with his epic skills and played some wonderful shots. His dismissal may have brought back some memories from 2007/08 when things began to spiral a little out of control but for our Maestro to hold onto his spot for the remainder of the summer as our veteran player, this is the way for him to do it.

Michael Clarke had been going along nicely until he played one onto his stumps, something he has seen a few times lately as a form of dismissal. The Skipper contributed 31 runs.

Ed Cowan and Ricky Ponting were the stand out batsmen for Day 1 of the Border-Gavaskar series with Ed crafting a debut innings many previous opening batsmen would have dreamt for under the circumstances. ? Getty Images

The DRS debate:

Clarke?s dismissal was followed by a moment that made me livid!
Not because it was the wicket of Michael Hussey but because I am absolutely baffled why the BCCI continues to avoid the use of DRS.
The DRS isn?t exactly 100% effective but it?s a damn sight better than anything else available and I am actually all for it. The journo?s love it because it gives them something spicy to write about but I see it differently.

If you want to avoid the crap we had to endure back in 2007/08 with the Steve Bucknor Umpiring ordeal, the DRS is a solution!
Michael Hussey was ticked off when he was given out with a very optimistic appeal from the Indian players behind the stumps. Huss was given out and there was too little evidence of an edge.
I admit in a bit of a poor sportsmanlike manner that I was quite stoked when Brad Haddin wasn?t given out LBW towards to the close of play when it was pretty much a plumb delivery against Zaheer Khan.
It could have appeared to pitch outside the line of leg stump to Hads or maybe Erasmus thought it was too high?
Only he knew in the moment but it was funny because had the BCCI accepted and not rejected the use of a technological aid (that can only get more efficient) such as the DRS to avoid any ?controversy?, then Hads may have been out and Huss may have not walked away with a duck, which is serious because his Test career is on the line.

These matters need to be seriously assessed and for a day of Test cricket for a series I am so excited to finally see underway with two epic teams, this was a very bleak aspect of the day for me. Very bleak indeed.
The Umpires govern the game and we must respect them but there is always that element of human error.
If we want to minimise this before doing daft things like threatening to boycott a Test series, start looking at logical options!
Even if the aid of hotspot and snicko were used just for clarity from a 3rd Umpire perspective it would turn things around a bit. Anyway, what?s done is done but it must still be brought under consideration.

Read the rest here.

More...

Users who are viewing this thread