Brad Haddin - Cheat?

Nah I dont think he is a cheat. From the replays it looks like the ball didnt hit the stumps but it all happened so fast . So I don't think even Haddin knew exactly what happened. Maybe he shouldve let the umps know that he wasn't sure about it but its bit harsh to call him a cheat.

Fingers are clearly infront of stumps, where ball enters gloves is behind stumps

But theres no denying he did clip the bails before the ball hits but if u look at flight path of ball an where it ends up in gloves u can see it jumps up high into the back of the gloves definatly hit something to make it jump up.
maybe glove finger tips maybe stump.

It does not take to be an Einstein to deduce that the ball hit the "tip" of the gloves and then jumped up into his palm from the videos considering the bails were hidden from the trajectory of the ball by the gloves.

honest mistake an in celebration simply didnt think hang on we better check this i might of hit them first.

to go out an call someone a cheat is just wrong
just like players cant come out an say yeah that guys a chucker

An with the dussey wicket
Patel didnt even appeal but then he saw mcullum appeal so he decided he better give a small half hearted appeal, they were in shock at first an then started talking an laughing.
There were no noises
Was just mcullum trying to stop the umpire from calling a wide which worked no wide was called an silly umpire actually gave him out.
Mcullum surely should have went up to the umpire an said look mate i was just trying to stop the wide being called there was no knick.

What a cheat symo was right in what he said about him.

If McCullum qualifies as a cheat, then so does Gilchrist as well as Haddin. Gilly for his appeal against Dravid when the ball missed the bat by a few centimetres (ok, i am exaggerating not much), and Haddin yesterday.

Precambrian added 0 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

about Dhoni, he used those illegal gloves to catch gilly last summer.
Old one. Boring.

Thats not cheating. A mistake/error yes, and it happens to the best of players. Although he could have conducted himself better afterwards.

to me appealing for a catch when u know they didnt hit it is a form of cheating
same as if haddin knew he hit bails but didnt bother mentioning it

I think there both just as bad and both forms of cheating

Still not a big deal though an massively blown out of proportion an hey this might just fire the aussies up so thx vettori

Last edited:
to me appealing for a catch when u know they didnt hit it is a form of cheating

Every wicketkeeper in all forms of cricket are cheats then. BAN THEM ALL!

It is a form of cheating. I agree. I'm not sure on the rules of cricket? Does it say you're only allowed to appeal if you know there was an edge?

It does not take to be an Einstein to deduce that the ball hit the "tip" of the gloves and then jumped up into his palm from the videos considering the bails were hidden from the trajectory of the ball by the gloves.

If McCullum qualifies as a cheat, then so does Gilchrist as well as Haddin. Gilly for his appeal against Dravid when the ball missed the bat by a few centimetres (ok, i am exaggerating not much), and Haddin yesterday.

Precambrian added 0 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Old one. Boring.
So either everyone's a cheat if they do something unsportsmanlike, or we leave the word cheat to people who are involved in match fixing, performance enhancing drugs

The fact is, what Haddin did, what Symonds did and even what Trevor Chappell did were not cheating. Chappell exploited a stupid rule, which was unsportsmanlike but not cheating. Symonds chose not to walk, which is his prerogative, it is the umpire's decision not the batsman's, and Haddin accidentally (I do not believe he is that bad a sport that he'd deliberately whack the bails off) hit the bails and chose not to say anything.

Whilst I will not defend Chappell's conduct, I will defend the other two, because all they did was let the umpire decide rather than being honest. It may not be nice but I doubt everyone here has a perfect moral compass and has never lied to get ahead in something or other.

aus5892 added 0 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

It is a form of cheating. I agree. I'm not sure on the rules of cricket? Does it say you're only allowed to appeal if you know there was an edge?
No it does not, otherwise we'd be out of players.

So either everyone's a cheat if they do something unsportsmanlike, or we leave the word cheat to people who are involved in match fixing, performance enhancing drugs

The fact is, what Haddin did, what Symonds did and even what Trevor Chappell did were not cheating. Chappell exploited a stupid rule, which was unsportsmanlike but not cheating. Symonds chose not to walk, which is his prerogative, it is the umpire's decision not the batsman's, and Haddin accidentally (I do not believe he is that bad a sport that he'd deliberately whack the bails off) hit the bails and chose not to say anything.

Whilst I will not defend Chappell's conduct, I will defend the other two, because all they did was let the umpire decide rather than being honest. It may not be nice but I doubt everyone here has a perfect moral compass and has never lied to get ahead in something or other.

aus5892 added 0 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

No it does not, otherwise we'd be out of players.
True, and AWTA fully. Thanks to Greg Chappell, that loophole was exploited and so corrected before it could be used in a major tournament like WC

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

Give bowler and Keeper and umpire goggles eqipped with hotspot and snicko and hawkeye as well.

Still not a big deal though an massively blown out of proportion an hey this might just fire the aussies up so thx vettori

Funnily enough, it weren't the Kiwis who blew this out of proportion. In fact, it was Ponting who used the word 'cheat' while responding to Vettori's comments. Then Haddin acts as if nothing happened. A simple apology would have smothered any debate.

From watching the replay there's no doubt that:
a/ his gloves were in front of the stumps therefore no ball.
b/ his gloves remove the bails.
It's possible to argue about whether the ball would have hit the stumps (and for my money it would) but it's actually irrelevant.

We can also say with certainty imo that Haddin would have known the two things above and maybe he thought that by hoping the ball would have hit the stumps it was possible to ignore them. It is a strong label to call someone a cheat - we've all done things in the heat of the moment and got caught later. The fact is that cricket is a game where the letter and the spirit are not always in harmony. Players are constantly pushing the boundaries with grounded catches, non-existant nicks and not walking when they know they've hit it. A lot of players when asked in those situations will not ask for a third umpire replay either, they'll hope the umpire gives it.
For me Haddin was pushing the rules too in a careless moment. It's worrying that his instinct was not only to do that but also to keep quiet about it and then deny it but I'd still be reticent about labelling him a cheat. I certainly wouldn't stereotype all Aussie players into that or keep bringing up incidents from the past.

I hink Haddin is living in dreamland if he believes people outside Australia will believe that keeper does not know when he has broken stumps. Add to fact he collected ball ahead of stumps. And Mr. Bucknor seems to forgetg third umpire can be consulted. Hes so stubborn and arrogant for such a senior pro.

How about giving Allan Border medal to Haddin.

I hink Haddin is living in dreamland if he believes people outside Australia will believe that keeper does not know when he has broken stumps. Add to fact he collected ball ahead of stumps. And Mr. Bucknor seems to forgetg third umpire can be consulted. Hes so stubborn and arrogant for such a senior pro.

How about giving Allan Border medal to Haddin.
:mad:

AB's name would be tarnished. Suggest Ian Healy medal.

YouTube - Is Dhoni a cheat?

Is it too hard to accept the fact that players sometimes can make honest mistakes , they are only human. :rolleyes:
The obvious difference being that Dhoni didn't go out in the media and claim that he was "100% sure" that the catch was taken. Besides, taking a catch as a keeper, you don't really have the benefit of knowing as well when the ball has hit the ground, because you feel the ball through the glove. I would say, for example, that Slater's catch of Dravid was far worse, especially since had the nerve to abuse Dravid for not walking off.

Finally, it is my opinion, as with others here, that you cannot label Haddin a cheat. And that is why Vettori did not. Ponting just demonstrated his lack of media ruse when he brought that word up at the press conference and opened up this can of worms. What Haddin did was wrong, but the only punishment he can get is in regards to receiving the ball in front of the stumps being against the laws.

On the other hand, I would rather defend Chappell. At least what he did was within the rules and straightforward as in for all to see. Symonds not walking was the umpire's fault (but 3 times is too much, or maybe not). But why did he have to come out with a statement next day and boast about it?

But what Haddin did was totally unacceptable. You can't break the stumps (knowingly or unknowingly) and celebrate after letting a guilty expression coming on your face.

Users who are viewing this thread