Buying Don Bradman Cricket in UK

Isnt it strange enough from trublu that we (lets say most aware of the lot due to PC and bigant involvement) are even unsure about where what when to order and when we will be able to get the game.

Now forget about educating anyone or to market it to new potential buyers and to convince those who are not sure if they want to buy it or not.

Cricket is a very, very, very niche game in the UK. Loads of people go to test matches if it is exciting but that's about it. Added to that that most of those people wouldn't dream of playing cricket on a computer or a console. Just because you like cricket doesn't mean you want to play it on a console or computer. I love the Tour de France but cant imagine ever sitting behind a computer playing it....

I just got this from my local game, ''I've just checked our new release schedule and its not in there. It is however on our till system but i cant guarantee its the correct pre-order codes''

I just spoke again to leeds store manager about the above. Hes speaking to headoffice to get truth.

They are taking pre-orders at the till tbough so u would think they are selling it??

I just spoke again to leeds store manager about the above. Hes speaking to headoffice to get truth.

They are taking pre-orders at the till tbough so u would think they are selling it??

My thought exactly. But it seems the wheels are turning in the uk :)

Last edited:
Cricket is a very, very, very niche game in the UK. Loads of people go to test matches if it is exciting but that's about it. Added to that that most of those people wouldn't dream of playing cricket on a computer or a console. Just because you like cricket doesn't mean you want to play it on a console or computer. I love the Tour de France but cant imagine ever sitting behind a computer playing it....

True...but cricket fans are the only ones who are going to buy the game! Better to reach out to cricket fans than no-one at all.

Very true and by this understanding it is highly risky to develop a cricket game but when it is done already and seems like it is done brilliantly then why sit back and not market it like hell and show the world that it is done and up for grabs. If not possible to market with big budget do it with cheaper means that are so possible now.

Added to that that most of those people wouldn't dream of playing cricket on a computer or a console. Just because you like cricket doesn't mean you want to play it on a console or computer. I love the Tour de France but cant imagine ever sitting behind a computer playing it....
How much of that is just bad experiences though? Playing through the rubbish of the past 20 years and just giving up on the idea?

I enjoy sports games for sports I don't play when they are really well put together. Sure cricket has a higher learning barrier than other sports, but I think there's a lot of peripheral interest in cricket in the UK - we saw it at the height in the 2005 Ashes.

My only concern with the slow-burn word of mouth campaign is that a lot of sports games seem to survive by their online base - while I know Chief has mentioned it's a tiny percentage that actually play online, I think it's still an important measure for people buying - whether there's an active community around for it.

It's also at odds with the 'steelbook for pre-orders' strategy. Why not just a simple, slightly more expensive 'limited edition'?

I just hope whatever happens over the next two weeks, the result is a sustainable cricket series.

@MattW Absolutely. The end net result that is the best for us is that the game is a financial success. Tru Blue have been around for a long time. I am sure they have the strategy and resources thought out that they think will work for them. I cannot believe that they are not akin to what works or not. They will have done their research, used their experiences, weighed up the options. I think we will see a flood of stuff coming very soon.

optimism is good thing but last 2 weeks are not how I was expecting them to be in terms of publication and marketing.

We saw one gameplay video coming from IGN in near past which was not planned for now as far as I know so no active media from any official source.

Well Tru Blue are going for the word of mouth track: they haven't the budget and there isn't necessarily the enthusiasm for cricket games that allows for anything else without spending masses of resources on it. The game will get out there, people will love it, talk about it on forums, social media etcetera and get the word out there. More people will walk into shops and want it......whether it is a sound strategy I know not.

@MattW Absolutely. The end net result that is the best for us is that the game is a financial success. Tru Blue have been around for a long time. I am sure they have the strategy and resources thought out that they think will work for them. I cannot believe that they are not akin to what works or not. They will have done their research, used their experiences, weighed up the options. I think we will see a flood of stuff coming very soon.

i disagree with this...
@Ross has mentioned previously too word of mouth as a post release strategy, but also pre-release, stating he would prefer the play sessions to generate word of mouth than e.g. review copies.

the fact is they had one play session months ago... and squandered any buzz they may have generated there by the fact that a)most of matt's videos were played on the buggy build, and b)there was radio silence after.

surely by generating pre-release buzz and word of mouth it's easier to demonstrate to distributors and retailers there is heavy demand and maybe get better deals. instead we get "we don't have the budget to educate the masses"

budget schmudget... nobody is suggesting they advertise at the world t20 or pay KP to get the box tattooed on his back... they have already created a bunch of collateral that they should be tweeting and fb-ing repeatedly, revisiting and re-releasing for anyone who missed it, and occasionally releasing new content, managing a #dbc14 hashtag and retweeting/sharing sensible relevant posts by others etc. this is minimal cost advertising, smart advertising since it can be easily targeted to generally interested parties and everybody has does it except trublu and bigant because "this is how we've always done it".

worse, they have utterly squandered the possible momentum of actually having a release announcement by following it with radio silence. no re-posting of the trailer, no re-posting of any of the earlier videos or stills... nothing at all.

we keep excusing them with posts like "they've been in business a long time, they know what they're doing etc." when it's clear that they don't understand social media at all, and plenty of business have lasted a long time doing very well, then failed to adapt to a changing environment and suffered.

this looks to be an amazing game, and i can't wait to get my hands on it. the handling of the release and marketing have been very sub-optimal to say the least. and i don't mean the short window, that makes a lot of sense, but the silence before and after have butchered a great opportunity.

i hope it doesn't cost them in the long run because i genuinely hope this becomes a long-running franchise.

Cricketer did a big preview piece on AC13. If that's not your market then who is?

----------

^What he said (blockerdave).

I knew there was a reason we keep you around...

Cricketer did a big preview piece on AC13. If that's not your market then who is?

Their "review" is hilarious looking back. The only negative was that it was tough to master...

Obviously they were being payed to advertise it, but it dented the magazines credibility in my opinion.

Sorry Dutch, I don't agree. When I was at school, many many moons ago, cricket was the summer sport, football the winter sport.
Cricket is still the summer sport in the U.K. with many people (men and women) playing at school and club level and watching at county level. I believe the interest for a game such as DB cricket is large and will attract cricket lovers and people who wouldn't normally be interested. If the game is exciting to play and accessible it will sell well.
It's only got to be advertised at county cricket grounds across the U.K. and word of mouth will do the rest.

Their "review" is hilarious looking back. The only negative was that it was tough to master...

Obviously they were being payed to advertise it, but it dented the magazines credibility in my opinion.

I wish I'd spoken to the Cricketer bloke at the Lord's event. They even used the screen of the keeper with the missing body.

----------

Sorry Dutch, I don't agree. When I was at school, many many moons ago, cricket was the summer sport, football the winter sport.
Cricket is still the summer sport in the U.K. with many people (men and women) playing at school and club level. I believe the interest for a game such as DB cricket is large and will attract cricket lovers and people who wouldn't normally be interested. If the game is exciting to play and accessible it will sell well.
It's only got to be advertised at county cricket grounds across the U.K. and word of mouth will do the rest.

I think the issue is that EA left the market because sales were just too low and right now you feel it would be miraculous for DBC to get as many sales in the UK as C07 did. Long term maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread