Commonwealth Bank Series

irottev said:
Clark is not a world class ODI bowler. Test, he looked like he's almost got there.

He'll eventually get better in the ODI game.

But Lee, Bracken and McGrath are probably some of the best modern day bowlers you'd want in a team. All of them can use the new ball, take wickets and usually bowl those final overs.

MUFC1987 said:
Vettori did bowl well, but I guess it helps when the English batsmen just can't play spin. Our best two players of spin are sat at home unfortunately.

Merlin? Or is it Merlyn?

IloveGilly said:

But Lee, Bracken and McGrath are probably some of the best modern day bowlers you'd want in a team. All of them can use the new ball, take wickets and usually bowl those final overs.
If you wanted someone to go for runs and take the odd wicket then you'd be better off playing Tait.
Clark's bowling average isn't good enough to go with his economy rate but unforunately I don't think Tait is going to get a go in the WC.
He hasn't proven anything at ODI level and if he can for 55 off 10 overs against NZ's bowling attack then I can't bare to imigane what will happen to him in the WC.

puddleduck said:
I think he meant Tresco and KP ;)

I mean, does that bowling machine not help them against spin? I guess they never set it on Daniel Vettori mode, only Shane Warne.

irottev said:
I mean, does that bowling machine not help them against spin? I guess they never set it on Daniel Vettori mode, only Shane Warne.

It's not transportable, and at the end of the day it's only going to help a bit as facing a wily old fox like Vettori in the real pressure situation of a match is very different to just batting in the nets. I think it must have helped a bit though, as we have played spin better lately, including playing Warne fairly well in this series, but if looked at a little closer, it was mostly KP, Bell and Colly who actually played the spin very well, the rest were adequate/poor.

Strauss has always looked all at sea against spin, and I'm starting to worry about him to be honest, if he can't find a way to score runs to anything pitched up and poor balls that stray onto his pads he's going to really struggle from now on. Because that coupled with his inability to play good spin means he is really starting to look in trouble.

wfdu_ben91 said:
If you wanted someone to go for runs and take the odd wicket then you'd be better off playing Tait.
Clark's bowling average isn't good enough to go with his economy rate but unforunately I don't think Tait is going to get a go in the WC.
He hasn't proven anything at ODI level and if he can for 55 off 10 overs against NZ's bowling attack then I can't bare to imigane what will happen to him in the WC.

Ironic how Clark is called a McGrath like player isn't it? How about stop thinking about the World Cup and let Clark continue to bowl and see how he goes then.

I'm sure he's ready to show his critics that he is capable at this level in this game.

I dont think Clark is a one-day bowler...This is only based on the fact of statistics...hasnt taken a bag..and actually isnt that economic

IloveGilly said:
Ironic how Clark is called a McGrath like player isn't it? How about stop thinking about the World Cup and let Clark continue to bowl and see how he goes then.

I'm sure he's ready to show his critics that he is capable at this level in this game.
I think that's a rubbish statement calling Clark anywhere near McGrath because his not. Clark has nowhere near the brains of McGrath.
All I've seen from Clark is him going at 5 or 6 against some of the weaker batting lineups in the world even when Australia are cleary cruising and the opposition is on the verge of being knocked over for 150-200 odd.
To go with that, a match against the West Indies he was on track of breaking Mick Lewis' imfamous record.
You want the class of McGrath? Then go watch Pakistan's Mohammad Asif.

Leicester Fox said:
As if Australians are intelligent enough to understand reverse pschology ;)

*Slaps Leicester Fox* for such a remark lol :)

Can't wait for the next match. I miss the days of the true head to head one dayers, like over the weekend a team would play 2 games in a row. I guess in the past men were more stronger than now? lol now they need rest more :rolleyes: and they still get injured anyway :eek: :laugh

Clark has never performed at State level in the OD form of the game, infact he cost us one game last year when he went for 60 odd including a few big final overs when we looked to have the game in the bag.

wfdu_ben91 said:
You want the class of McGrath? Then go watch Pakistan's Mohammad Asif.
I think Clarke is 80% McGrath, while Asif is 85%. Both can produce the control over the line almost as well as McGrath. However Clarke isnt as clever while Asif lacks the consistency.

m_vaughan said:
I think Clarke is 80% McGrath, while Asif is 85%. Both can produce the control over the line almost as well as McGrath. However Clarke isnt as clever while Asif lacks the consistency.
Clarke?! As in Michael Clarke?! ;)
I've never seen Asif be inconsistant but then again I get the impression that subcontient players are lazy.
We'll just see how Clark goes. I'm not totally convinced about him, definately not at ODI level.
But I think by the time Asif's career is over, he'll be better then McGrath. I tend to think Pakistan produce the most talented bowlers more regulary then other countries.

IloveGilly said:

How long are we gonna give him? He isnt young.

If his basis of selection is on the "he'll get better theory", you may as well pick Tait.

At the moment I see Clark as a great test bowler in the mould of McGrath. But his one day performace has needs alot to be improving. Is it pressure? He needs to have good long talks with McGrath concerning his cricketing brain. I hope he does become a great one day bowler real soon.

Users who are viewing this thread