Commonwealth Bank Series

Doesn't really have much time to improve himself, it should come naturally to you some players just ain't meant for ODI cricket.

The thing is hes meant to have control hence the McGrath clone name. Hes got cutters and slower balls which we saw during the Test series but in the ODI arena they just don't seem to work as well.

Well in the ODI you need a sharp cricketing brain. Now I'm sure Clark has one, as was shown in the Ashes series, but he has to adapt. ODI is helta skelta. He just needs to adapt to the pace of the one dayers is all. The Big question is, will he?

Highly unlikely cause as I said before he hasn't been great in the OD domestic comp we have. If he can't do the business there what hopes he got against ODI teams. He may well still pick up wickets but he will always be one that opposition can go after.

Clark just doesn't look threatening and the other night it looked as if it was a plot to attack him by Stephen Fleming. That was probably the plan Fleming had to defeat Australia and as he said the plan wasn't executed properly.
Clark would probably make it into the ODI sides of some other countries but I wouldn't be supprised if he takes the Brett Lee route in Test Match cricket.

Hooper said:
I dont think Clark is a one-day bowler...This is only based on the fact of statistics...hasnt taken a bag..and actually isnt that economic
hasnt taken a bag? he took 4 wickets in the last game, how many is he to take?....I would much rather have him in the side bowling for my life than Tait who is just as likely to bowl fast as he is to bowl expensive....Clark hasnt bowled badly at all this series just not as good as perhaps the other bowlers but that doesnt mean that qualifies him to be dropped

irottev said:
Clark is not a world class ODI bowler. Test, he looked like he's almost got there.
Stuart MacGill is also world class, he is a better spinner than Panesar and at least as good if not better than Vettori

stereotype said:
hasnt taken a bag? he took 4 wickets in the last game, how many is he to take?....I would much rather have him in the side bowling for my life than Tait who is just as likely to bowl fast as he is to bowl expensive....Clark hasnt bowled badly at all this series just not as good as perhaps the other bowlers but that doesnt mean that qualifies him to be dropped
He'll get eaten alive by a decent batting attack, it's happened before and his bowling to NZ & England who are probably 2 of the lower ODI teams as far as ODI batting goes (especially without Pietersen) and his still going at 5 an over and not looking threatening at all. His suppose to be economical and doesn't really have the ability to rip through a batting lineup like Tait does and the wickets his picking up are coming off the hard work that the other bowlers are doing.

I dont like sounding like Im beating my chest but their is a reason why Australia is head and shoulders batting and bowling wise ahead of NZ and England....

first the batting...Every player from Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and Symonds you can look at them and say they could score a hundred all are very able to do so, they all have high averages and strike rates...

plus the bowling Bracken, McGrath, Lee and Clark all of them are capable of getting 4 or 5 wickets in a match. The only guy without that reputation is Cameron White due to his youth and his "smashing" ability.
You cannot say the same thing about New Zealand or England.

New Zealand have Fleming and Astle...probably the only two who you can feel confident you can get a century out of, Oram did bat well but his average is still under 20.

that and only Bond is someone who you can confidently say will get a bag...Vettori you can confidently say he will be economical, but not a wicket taker.

England are the same.

KP and Flintoff and perhaps an inform Strauss are the only batsmen to have that aura of possible centuries, and bowlerwise they dont seem too intimidating

wfdu_ben91 said:
He'll get eaten alive by a decent batting attack, it's happened before and his bowling to NZ & England who are probably 2 of the lower ODI teams as far as ODI batting goes (especially without Pietersen) and his still going at 5 an over and not looking threatening at all. His suppose to be economical and doesn't really have the ability to rip through a batting lineup like Tait does and the wickets his picking up are coming off the hard work that the other bowlers are doing.
I admit he hasnt set the world on fire but he still took 4 wickets, it doesnt matter how you get your wickets, I think he will find his feet in time for the world cup

stereotype said:
Stuart MacGill is also world class, he is a better spinner than Panesar and at least as good if not better than Vettori
Yes, but does MacGill play ODI's. Because this thread is about ODI's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clark's never been good at OD's. His been more of a FC bowler.
Didn't you see him against the Windies or SA? His got a bit of Mick Lewis in his ODI bowling abilities.
Shaun Tait will go for runs but unlike Clark will take 3, 4 or 5 wickets per innings allot more consistantly.
If not Tait, then Hilfenhaus.
And Johnson's got way better figures this series then Clark but yet he deserves to shafted over Clark?

BTW, Ross Taylor's better then Fleming & Astle. ;)
And Anderson has been bowling brilliantly in this tri-series aswell.

Well if we are just talking about ODI's but do you know that McGrath, Lee, Clark and Bracken all have better bowling averages than Vettori, even Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson....of these only Clark has an average over 30

Bracken (20)
McGrath (22)
Lee (22)
Johnson (23)
Hogg (27)

Thats world class in cricket language

stereotype said:
I dont like sounding like Im beating my chest but their is a reason why Australia is head and shoulders batting and bowling wise ahead of NZ and England....

first the batting...Every player from Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey and Symonds you can look at them and say they could score a hundred all are very able to do so, they all have high averages and strike rates...

plus the bowling Bracken, McGrath, Lee and Clark all of them are capable of getting 4 or 5 wickets in a match. The only guy without that reputation is Cameron White due to his youth and his "smashing" ability.
You cannot say the same thing about New Zealand or England.

New Zealand have Fleming and Astle...probably the only two who you can feel confident you can get a century out of, Oram did bat well but his average is still under 20.

that and only Bond is someone who you can confidently say will get a bag...Vettori you can confidently say he will be economical, but not a wicket taker.

England are the same.

KP and Flintoff and perhaps an inform Strauss are the only batsmen to have that aura of possible centuries, and bowlerwise they dont seem too intimidating

I admit he hasnt set the world on fire but he still took 4 wickets, it doesnt matter how you get your wickets, I think he will find his feet in time for the world cup

I'd say the three teams all have threatening and decent bowling attacks. Australia of course have very good seamers but they aren't looking to pick an attacking spinner, very much like England using Giles in ODI's before Monty arrived. NZ have a decent bowling attack with good variety and England are starting to produce a decent attack with Flintoff, Anderson, Lewis, Monty and the 5th bowler Collingwood/Dalrymple.

Batting on the other hand Australia are well above NZ and England although all three teams top order have struggled in recent times.

John Adams said:
The lot of good it did for you guys. I think we gave him 5 for courtesy's sake only...

Btw, JA, you missed my point completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread