Commonwealth Bank Series

If Clark and Hussey had of come into the Aussie team earlier, they would definatly have a worse average. All those years of learning and striving for a place wouldn't have happened. There is no way Clark would of had the same skills now 5 years ago, he he made the team.

Yea definitely, Hussey was never a fast scorer early on in his career so he certainly wouldn't have been a massive hit batting late in a ODI like he is now. He knows his game very well with all that FC experience. Clark went through a phase where he was trying to bowl fast like Brett Lee but that didn't work out too well so he want to his action we see now.

irottev said:
If Clark and Hussey had of come into the Aussie team earlier, they would definatly have a worse average. All those years of learning and striving for a place wouldn't have happened. There is no way Clark would of had the same skills now 5 years ago, he he made the team.
I agree, Clark was very shy in his earlier years too and like aussie said Hussey was a slow scorer earlier in his carreer although hussey could have came into the squad a year earlier

Let's hope we bat first and expose this weakness. :)
Anderson is a different bowler to the one we saw in the Ashes and the first game of the CBS. Hes been England's best bowler this series so their best batsmen is gone and now could be their best bowler.

Bowled great against Australia in the last match, wont be able to see the first innings so i will go against what i would usually be saying....Australia.... bowl first! :)

Feelin Blue? said:
Bowled great against Australia in the last match, wont be able to see the first innings so i will go against what i would usually be saying....Australia.... bowl first! :)
If that's the case you might not see the second innings as it might be over by then ;)

wfdu_ben91 said:
Jimmy Anderson has a stiff back and looks in doubt for tomorrows encounter.
Thoughts?

That is no good. He's been Englands stand out bowler. Was good to watch. I don't know if they even have 1% chance at winning now.

Lewis is a doubt too.

Tremlett gets another chance, he's good enough, thoguh Jimmy has been bowling well so we'll miss him.

irottev said:
How many tests do NZ play each year? We play bugger all cricket. We have 2 tests this whole year (already gone). 2! Most other counties are playing more tests in 1 series then we are the whole year. I think we have only had 5ish the last few years also.

-> By the way, why bring up matches? Are you trying to prove that Oram is a poor batsman? I wouldn't say he's something special, but as an all-rounder he will be up there. He certainly is better then an 18 average. That average probably reflects a lot of comming in late in the innings at 6 odd and getting out in the deep.

I brought up matches because I thought he'd have played 50 Tests and well over a hundred ODIs. I like Oram, good player.

cricketmad09 said:
About the walking issue, I think Hussey made a great point saying "you take the good ones with the bad ones"

That's it exactly. Hussey has probably been out nearly as many times as not on a poor decision. One of the great things about cricket is that it is about human capabilities. Bad shot, you're out. Bad shot,you get lucky and go on to make a big one. Yeah, sure Gillie walks but that's up to him. W.G. Grace never did, Gatting never did and Bradman never did. Not to mention Sobers who only ever walked when he was sick of carting the bowling. Viv used to walk when he was convinced, but hardly ever thought he was out. Dessie Haynes was half way off the park before the umpire got his finger up and Bothams ego never permitted him to take the walk even if he had whacked it down a fielders throat. Let's keep the human element - including the umpiring.
:cheers

aussie1st said:
Yea definitely, Hussey was never a fast scorer early on in his career so he certainly wouldn't have been a massive hit batting late in a ODI like he is now. He knows his game very well with all that FC experience. Clark went through a phase where he was trying to bowl fast like Brett Lee but that didn't work out too well so he want to his action we see now.

Sorry, mate but I have been watching him for years. I first saw him in Country Week cricket (Hussey I'm talking about) and even back then he impressed me by being able to either shut up shop or strike freely. He has one of the best "eyes" in the world and that hasn't happened by sheer good luck. He works harder than most cricketers.
Clarke only needed to find rythm. He still bowls at around the same speed that he always has but practice has allowed him to get a little more work on the ball.
;)

wfdu_ben91 said:
Negative. Clark's bowling average would be allot higher then it actually is. For me, I reckon it'd be somewhere around 35-40.
For me, Oram's as good a batsman as Vettori in ODI's as far as I'm concerned.
If you fail that consistantly then the I'm afraid to say but you deserve that average. Batting at the end of the innings but have it's benefits; just take a look at Mike Hussey for example.
Yeah my mistake, I meant to put that his average would be worse. I blame the amount of alcohol in my system last night.

John Adams said:
Who wants to lay any bets on the odds that Ponting will again lose the toss? :laugh
Please no, we're the only team with a vague idea of how to bat in one day cricket

I just hope we see Mahmood, he's more than good enough to cause Australia plenty of problems in ODI cricket, yet he hasn't been given a chance. In every way he is our secret weapon for the WC yet we seem unable to give him a chance.

MUFC1987 said:
I just hope we see Mahmood, he's more than good enough to cause Australia plenty of problems in ODI cricket, yet he hasn't been given a chance. In every way he is our secret weapon for the WC yet we seem unable to give him a chance.
yep sajid is the go to man in a crisis. cough 0/97 (9) PM's XI

Users who are viewing this thread