Commonwealth Bank Series

stereotype said:
Well if we are just talking about ODI's but do you know that McGrath, Lee, Clark and Bracken all have better bowling averages than Vettori, even Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson....of these only Clark has an average over 30

Bracken (20)
McGrath (22)
Lee (22)
Johnson (23)
Hogg (27)

Thats world class in cricket language

I think those figures prove why it is annoys people to see Clark in the team. Fair enough he needs some more time before he should be written off, but I would much rather see that time he is getting to prove himself given to Mitch Johnson, a real prospect for the future. Yeah, Stuey Clark is a hard working bowler, but he doesn't seem to have the right tools to be a good ODI bowler and he is not a good batter or fielder either.

Poor Hoggy hasn't even got a game yet - he really needs Watson back in the team so that if Watson is the 4th quick, we can afford to play Hogg. For me, that would look a much better team as Watson/Hogg is a better combo than White/Clark.

stereotype said:
Well if we are just talking about ODI's but do you know that McGrath, Lee, Clark and Bracken all have better bowling averages than Vettori, even Brad Hogg, Mitchell Johnson....of these only Clark has an average over 30

Bracken (20)
McGrath (22)
Lee (22)
Johnson (23)
Hogg (27)

Thats world class in cricket language

Average is a stat that is very misleading. For example, Oram averaged 18 with the bat in ODI's. Apparantly that made him a useless batsmen or even a tailender and he averages over 40 in test cricket. Came in and hit 86.

I don't believe you base whether a bowler is "World Class" or not based on his average. Johnson has a lot to prove before he can be considered World Class. And Hogg may have been in that league at some stage, but not at the moment.

I was shocked to find it was only his 4th ODI fifty.

He's only played 22 tests....

Sureshot said:
I was shocked to find it was only his 4th ODI fifty.

He's only played 22 tests....

Thats actually a decent amount of tests. Especially for a New Zealand player.

I just noticed, his average slipped a touch after the SL low scoring test matches.

Stuart Clark has only played 9, yet people are calling him one of the best test bowlers.

Sureshot said:
In 5 odd years?

How many tests do NZ play each year? We play bugger all cricket. We have 2 tests this whole year (already gone). 2! Most other counties are playing more tests in 1 series then we are the whole year. I think we have only had 5ish the last few years also.

-> By the way, why bring up matches? Are you trying to prove that Oram is a poor batsman? I wouldn't say he's something special, but as an all-rounder he will be up there. He certainly is better then an 18 average. That average probably reflects a lot of comming in late in the innings at 6 odd and getting out in the deep.

irottev said:
We have 2 tests this whole year (already gone). 2! Most other counties are playing more tests in 1 series then we are the whole year. I think we have only had 5ish the last few years also.
You also have Tests at the end of the year in South Africa. And you've had 33 in the last four years.

I think it's worth pointing out that some players have lower averages due to being thrown in at the deep end early in their careers so to speak. I mean for me if Clark had been playing since the age of 21, his test average would be a lot lower than it is now. Similar in a way that Oram's average would be a lot higher if he'd made his debut a couple of years ago, as opposed to 5 or not. Averages can be very misleading.

andrew_nixon said:
You also have Tests at the end of the year in South Africa. And you've had 33 in the last four years.

Ok. Season or Summer. They're next summer. Not year. Got the wrong words, you are right. :)

Lol a good dig at our Tri series opponents by Buck.
AUSTRALIA coach John Buchanan has poured scorn on the rival teams in the current tournament by claiming the lack of quality opposition is stunting his squad's development ahead of the World Cup.

Full article here

MUFC1987 said:
I think it's worth pointing out that some players have lower averages due to being thrown in at the deep end early in their careers so to speak. I mean for me if Clark had been playing since the age of 21, his test average would be a lot lower than it is now. Similar in a way that Oram's average would be a lot higher if he'd made his debut a couple of years ago, as opposed to 5 or not. Averages can be very misleading.
Negative. Clark's bowling average would be allot higher then it actually is. For me, I reckon it'd be somewhere around 35-40.
For me, Oram's as good a batsman as Vettori in ODI's as far as I'm concerned.
If you fail that consistantly then the I'm afraid to say but you deserve that average. Batting at the end of the innings but have it's benefits; just take a look at Mike Hussey for example.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Negative. Clark's bowling average would be allot higher then it actually is. For me, I reckon it'd be somewhere around 35-40.
For me, Oram's as good a batsman as Vettori in ODI's as far as I'm concerned.
If you fail that consistantly then the I'm afraid to say but you deserve that average. Batting at the end of the innings but have it's benefits; just take a look at Mike Hussey for example.

Thats probably what he meant but put the wrong word ;)
Oram isn't a Hussey type player where he will get not outs. He the big hitter in the team so hes going to be caught a lot more times in the deep than Hussey and so his average is lower.

Users who are viewing this thread