Commonwealth Bank Series

Your spot on, if he gets not out at least he will be free for a couple of games, maybe Gilly should play and anchor role and let Haydos get a hundred!

Lol won't happen now Gilly just smacked 3 consecutive 4s and another 4. Hes looking good today.
You're probably right with Hayden having about 2 games to prove himself if he can get a not out today. If he gets out anytime soon he may have just one more game left.

Well he has been trying to get back in ODI team for the WC for a while and if he gets in the squad then gets dropped again right before the WC that will destroy him

It's the way of the game. If you don't perform with the chance you're given then you'll get dropped. Jaques made that 94 on debut and then got dropped which you can't explain but Hayden has had more chances than a cat cheating death and is still in the team.

Feelin Blue? said:
Well he has been trying to get back in ODI team for the WC for a while and if he gets in the squad then gets dropped again right before the WC that will destroy him

I don't think it would, the Aussie players all seem to have something called a backbone and mental strength, something the entire English team bar KP and Freddie lack.

Last edited:
puddleduck said:
I don't think it would, the Aussie players all seem to have something called a backbone and mental strength, something the entire English team bar KP and Freddie lack.
Yea well isn't he retiring after the WC?

Hayden's cause isn't helping Gilchrist or any of his fans :( Messy run-out and he was looking good.

IloveGilly said:
It's the way of the game. If you don't perform with the chance you're given then you'll get dropped. Jaques made that 94 on debut and then got dropped which you can't explain but Hayden has had more chances than a cat cheating death and is still in the team.

Well there is no opener really saying pick me in the OD domestic comp. Hopes possibly, Jaques has only just hit a 50 his first in a while.

Gilly out run out what a waste!

Hayden hasnt been in great form but he is a champion write him off at your peril....He just needs some form

Can't replace Haydos, his the best opening batsman we'e ever produced.
Though, it is kinda strange how they dumped him from the ODI for a year and a half and then immediately recall him because they want him in the WC squad.
I don't think any world class batsman would be batting any differently if they were in the position Hayden's in at the moment.

I guess it's nice to know that the belief that our entire batting lineup was based around whether KP got a score or failed, is infact completely true. Without him even there at all, we're absolutely hopeless.

I think it is fair to make the point that arguably our two best ODI batsman are unavailable at the moment, but at the same time if Australia were missing for example Ponting and Gilchrist, I have no doubt that they would still be posting competitive totals.

Still, they have to realise now that Nixon was never good enough, and no amount of shouting behind the stumps or whipping the bails off for no reason will change that. That the likes of Dalrymple are no more than filler, and not a match winner. Personally I think they should just play the likes of Cook, Panesar and Bell regardless of performance (within reason obviously) for a while because it can in theory only help the other side of their game. Cook and Bell can do with having to learn to improvise and be aggressive, whilst Panesar can learn how to adjust his game when batsman are taking him on.

Regarding Hayden, it shows how far away England are at the moment, considering I think he's outperformed the majority of our batsman this series even with a few 20's and 30's :(

I agree Jeremy they should give Cook a chance hes a real talent, had no feel playing that pull shot against the Aussies and has a range of shots. Can't do much worst that Strauss is. Dalrymple spin bowling isn't too bad but I thought his batting would be better, they may have to try another all rounder and see if his batting is better.

I think Cook isnt aggressive enough for ODI's....he doesnt have a great range of shots only really square of the wicket shots, he doesnt play straight very well and i think thats a weakness, Strauss is in horror form and horror luck, he actually was in great form at the start of the test series but a few dud decisions have gotten to him I think, he is a great player when he is in form

Oh god, and I didn't think it copuld get much worse. When I saw England at like 46/1 or whatever it was I thought they may score 200. They barely made 200. They batted pathetically again.

Apart from Gilchrist, no opener has found this series easy.

And whats wrong with what Hayden did? He played himself in. When you are only chasing 110 there is no need to play any big shots to decent balls.

Plunkett had good pace, just ever since he went round the wicket, he had no control.

Users who are viewing this thread