Commonwealth Bank Series

wfdu_ben91 said:
I don't think any world class batsman would be batting any differently if they were in the position Hayden's in at the moment.
A player wanting to stake a case for being in a ODI team should be showing he can actually play shots, we know he's solid in Test cricket. We don't need an inferior version of Katich

aussie1st said:
Well there is no opener really saying pick me in the OD domestic comp. Hopes possibly, Jaques has only just hit a 50 his first in a while.
055845.player.jpg

Code:
[b]MJ Clarke[/b]
                     Mat    I  NO  Runs HS1  HS2  HS3     Ave 100  50   0
unfiltered            95   84  21  2826 105* 103*  97   44.85   2  21   4
filtered               9    9   2   442 105* 103*  97   63.14   2   2   1

Watson will be coming back in, whether it's him opening and Clarke at 4 or the other way around doesn't really matter

kodos said:
Well you're actually one of a rarity and actually not a pure cricket supporter because if you were you would want competition across the world, not only against one or two teams. That is what makes soccer such a fantastic and enjoyable worldwide game, because the competition is close and I can still see cricket seriously lagging behind other sports. This is getting monotonous and I can see why cricket participation rates are dwindling whilst soccer are prospering in Australia.
But thats not Australia's fault, its the other teams fault that they cant be on the same level and lets be honest NO team is on the same level...IF Australia goes "down" to make world cricket more competitive then its not worth it, people like the Australian team like the West Indies team of the 80's

brad352 said:
A player wanting to stake a case for being in a ODI team should be showing he can actually play shots, we know he's solid in Test cricket. We don't need an inferior version of Katich

055845.player.jpg

Code:
[b]MJ Clarke[/b]
                     Mat    I  NO  Runs HS1  HS2  HS3     Ave 100  50   0
unfiltered            95   84  21  2826 105* 103*  97   44.85   2  21   4
filtered               9    9   2   442 105* 103*  97   63.14   2   2   1

Watson will be coming back in, whether it's him opening and Clarke at 4 or the other way around doesn't really matter
do you understand what out of form means? We know he's solid in test cricket...yes but he also averages around 40 in ODI's AND when chasing 110 you dont need to go out all guns blazing, it is an opportunity for him to find form. And besides Hayden is in another class than Watson

Haha well done to the Aussies Woohoo! Can't believe England collapsed again! Well done to Bell though, or the total would of been around 75 if he didn't score lol. Hmm again Ponting lost the toss, but the great thing is that it's been of no consequence.

Let's see what happens Sunday. :)

brad352 said:

Mat I NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50 0
unfiltered 95 84 21 2826 105* 103* 97 44.85 2 21 4
filtered 9 9 2 442 105* 103* 97 63.14 2 2 1[/code]

Yea I wouldn't mind that at all, when Clarke opened last time he was able to up the tempo when required similar to what Watson did. Hes right handed also so that helps. Watson to me looks better at 4 but like yourself doesn't matter.

This is without a doubt the worst series ever in Australia I have watched

Kerry Packer if he was alive today he would die real quick the One day games to be all over before the sun even goes down a ratings disaster this is much much worse then the 94 95 series and which Zimb were here as well and we seen Aust A in the finals

please ill say it again the worst One Day series ever to be played in Australia

stereotype said:
do you understand what out of form means? We know he's solid in test cricket...yes but he also averages around 40 in ODI's AND when chasing 110 you dont need to go out all guns blazing, it is an opportunity for him to find form. And besides Hayden is in another class than Watson
The benefit we get from Watson's bowling compared to Symonds/Clarke/White far outweighs any advantage Hayden's batting gives, if any- bearing in mind he's averaged 32 over his last 30 ODI's, which stretch over 3 years. He's batting exactly the way Katich got dropped for, just with less runs- it's fine to have a slow player at the other end if they're rotating the strike to Gilly but he's only got two modes, block and slog and that's useless for us.

stereotype said:
I think Cook isnt aggressive enough for ODI's....he doesnt have a great range of shots only really square of the wicket shots, he doesnt play straight very well and i think thats a weakness

To be fair to him in his brief outings in Odi cricket he averages 40 with a S/R of 80. I'm not saying he's the answer, but we don't have many better batsman with as much potential as Cook, so we may as well play him in the Odis as he will be able to go out and bat with the license to score quickly. Hopefully it would improve his all round game, and being young playing as much cricket as possible can only improve his game quicker.

In test cricket I always get the feeling that he bats slightly within himself and tries to put a high price on his wicket, at the same time he is inexperienced so he often looks like he is trying to feel his way in and is learning as he plays. He's shown himself to be quick learner for most of his career, so I think it would be postitive move for his and Englands future.

Of course if Tresco was "fit" and Strauss not in the worst run of form of his life, and the rest of our batsman actually able to score any runs, then it wouldn't really be worth thinking about :p

puddleduck said:
To be fair to him in his brief outings in Odi cricket he averages 40 with a S/R of 80. I'm not saying he's the answer, but we don't have many better batsman with as much potential as Cook, so we may as well play him in the Odis as he will be able to go out and bat with the license to score quickly. Hopefully it would improve his all round game, and being young playing as much cricket as possible can only improve his game quicker.

In test cricket I always get the feeling that he bats slightly within himself and tries to put a high price on his wicket, at the same time he is inexperienced so he often looks like he is trying to feel his way in and is learning as he plays. He's shown himself to be quick learner for most of his career, so I think it would be postitive move for his and Englands future.

Of course if Tresco was "fit" and Strauss not in the worst run of form of his life, and the rest of our batsman actually able to score any runs, then it wouldn't really be worth thinking about :p
im only saying that based on what i saw of him which is a lot less than you would have obviously, and yes I think Trescothick was a major loss, maybe the lack of a familiar face at the other end is also hurting Strauss

stereotype said:
im only saying that based on what i saw of him which is a lot less than you would have obviously, and yes I think Trescothick was a major loss, maybe the lack of a familiar face at the other end is also hurting Strauss

He had a tough tour this time around but he is still very young, and in test cricket he does generally go slowly, but for the most part he gets runs, and for me it was refreshing to watch an England batsman bat as though their wicket was important. He'll need to work on the ball just outside offstump, but Australia are really the only side who will actually exploit that weakness (which is something nearly every batsman has)

Any batsman that can hit a double hundred against an attack with Lee, MacGill, Kasper and I think it was Tait in just over 200 balls has got to be able to score at a decent whack.

brad352 said:
The benefit we get from Watson's bowling compared to Symonds/Clarke/White far outweighs any advantage Hayden's batting gives, if any- bearing in mind he's averaged 32 over his last 30 ODI's, which stretch over 3 years. He's batting exactly the way Katich got dropped for, just with less runs- it's fine to have a slow player at the other end if they're rotating the strike to Gilly but he's only got two modes, block and slog and that's useless for us.
So what if Hayden gets 40 off 70 balls not out in this game, we drop him and select Clarke as the opener for the WC but he fails, do we go to Watson and rely on him bowling 10 solid overs and then having to go straight out and open the batting?
Not to mention Watson makes a allot of ducks for a top order batsman.

If Trescothick comes back you will have a solid side.

1. Strauss
2. Trescothick
3. Vaughan
4. Pietersen
5. Flintoff
6. Collingwood

Thats the batsmen, no room for Bell or Joyce. Im not a Bell fan, for a number 3 he doesnt drive the ball straight very well, too many runs in the third man region. I feel your number 3 needs to have the biggest range of shots in the side....like Ponting for example can play every shot in the book

puddleduck said:
Any batsman that can hit a double hundred against an attack with Lee, MacGill, Kasper and I think it was Tait in just over 200 balls has got to be able to score at a decent whack.
Chris Rogers hit 209 off 219 against the same attack, he doesn't even play one dayers for WA. Although anyone that could bat through the innings would work out fine for you at the moment

brad352 said:
Chris Rogers hit 209 off 219 against the same attack, he doesn't even play one dayers for WA. Although anyone that could bat through the innings would work out fine for you at the moment

He would play for England's Odi team though ;)

stereotype said:
If Trescothick comes back you will have a solid side.

1. Strauss
2. Trescothick
3. Vaughan
4. Pietersen
5. Flintoff
6. Collingwood

Thats the batsmen, no room for Bell or Joyce. Im not a Bell fan, for a number 3 he doesnt drive the ball straight very well, too many runs in the third man region. I feel your number 3 needs to have the biggest range of shots in the side....like Ponting for example can play every shot in the book

That would be a decent enough batting lineup with a good mix of aggression and stroke making.

It pretty much picks itself Sly, only problem is one of those may or may not play international cricket ever again. One of them is so injury prone that one big injury could finish his career. Two of them now have to display the mental strength to refind the earlier form in their careers or run the risk of being destroyed by this Ashes. The other two are World Class, but they need the other 4 to actually do something!

Users who are viewing this thread