Country's all-time teams (Test)...

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I don't think using the fact that batsman played in the early days of cricket and that they played on poor pitches is formitable. That's just saying anyone who averaged 30+ was a great batsman and whoever didn't have a bowling average of under 10 was a joke.

Muhammad Yousuf misses out due to having Miandad and Inzamam at #4 and 5. Younis makes it for being Pakistan's best number 3 in tests.
You sure? Yousuf's batting this year has been incredible and his already made more ODI hundreds then Inzy and is only 2 short of him in Test Matches and Inzy has played 70 odd more innings. To add to that Yousuf has the highest batting average ever produced by a Pakistan batsman.

I cant put Pieterson in their way too early for him hes only new maybe in 10 years time
If he plays to the god given talent then he could end up being England's most successful batsman ever.

I'll have a go at South Africa.

1. Gary Kirsten
2. Bruce Mitchell
3. Graeme Smith
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Graeme Pollock
6. Herschelle Gibbs
7. Mark Boucher
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Peter Pollock
10. Makhaya Ntini
11. Allan Donald

Not much knowledge. I judged from those who had standout statistics and mainly those who I've seen play.

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
wfdu_ben91 said:
You sure? Yousuf's batting this year has been incredible and his already made more ODI hundreds then Inzy and is only 2 short of him in Test Matches and Inzy has played 70 odd more innings. To add to that Yousuf has the highest batting average ever produced by a Pakistan batsman.
Miandad and Inzamam are two of the best batsmen Pakistan have produced, and even though Yousuf has had an amazing year, he needs to perform consistently for a longer period of time to be in my all time Pakistani XI.

BTW, Yousuf does not have the highest batting average ever produced by a Pakistani. Miandad averaged over 57 for most of his career IIRC.

adthomp

International Cricketer
wfdu_ben91 said:
I don't think using the fact that batsman played in the early days of cricket and that they played on poor pitches is formitable. That's just saying anyone who averaged 30+ was a great batsman and whoever didn't have a bowling average of under 10 was a joke.

If he plays to the god given talent then he could end up being England's most successful batsman ever.

I'll have a go at South Africa.

1. Gary Kirsten
2. Bruce Mitchell
3. Graeme Smith
4. Jacques Kallis
5. Graeme Pollock
6. Herschelle Gibbs
7. Mark Boucher
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Peter Pollock
10. Makhaya Ntini
11. Allan Donald

Not much knowledge. I judged from those who had standout statistics and mainly those who I've seen play.

Barry Richards and Eddie Barlow 2 batsman that have to be in there

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
the fact is it's impossible to fitt 11 players into a team when hundreds of people have represented there country and a lot to a high standard.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
adthomp said:
Barry Richards and Eddie Barlow 2 batsman that have to be in there
Yeah, an average of 72 in 4 games. Quick, let's go add Mike Hussey into our Australian XI. :rolleyes:

I thought about that, but Bruce Mitchell averaged 56 as an opener and played more matches then him while Kirsten had the same average over a much longer period.

Miandad and Inzamam are two of the best batsmen Pakistan have produced, and even though Yousuf has had an amazing year, he needs to perform consistently for a longer period of time to be in my all time Pakistani XI.
When's Inzy ever averaged 100 in a calendar year? Miandad is debateable but I'd take Yousuf over Inzy anyday.

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
nightprowler10 said:
Pakistan

Saeed Anwar
Haneef Muhammad
Younis Khan
Javed Miandad
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Imran Khan*
Wasim Bari+
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Waqar Younis
Fazal Mahmood

Muhammad Yousuf misses out due to having Miandad and Inzamam at #4 and 5. Younis makes it for being Pakistan's best number 3 in tests. Also, Saqlain misses out to Qadir and also since you can't have a Pakistani bowling attack with only three pacers. :) Sarfaraz Nawaz misses out to Fazal as well.

i would rather have Yousuf in there than Younis, yea Younis might be a better #3 but hes not a better batsman. if anything Miandad would be my #3 and Yousuf or Inzi 4 and 5.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Iron-Haggis said:
Where is George Headley? Best batsmen the Windies have ever produced. He wasn't called the 'Black Bradman' for the fun of it. Other than that you won't get too many arguments from me. I'd count Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Wes Hall and Frank Worrell very unlucky.

I'll have a go at an Aussie team.

1. Victor Trumper
2. Bill Ponsford
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Don Bradman
5. Greg Chappell
6. Allan Border (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Keith Miller
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Steve Waugh, Stan McCabe, Ray Lindwall and Fred Spofforth would be unlucky to miss out on my team.

That would be my team as well.

Ponting_14

International Cricketer
Iron-Haggis said:
Where is George Headley? Best batsmen the Windies have ever produced. He wasn't called the 'Black Bradman' for the fun of it. Other than that you won't get too many arguments from me. I'd count Michael Holding, Andy Roberts, Wes Hall and Frank Worrell very unlucky.

I was going to put him in but I was not sure if he had played enough Test's to get in. But yeah I should have put him in...

1 Gordon Greenidge
2 Desmond Haynes
3 George Headley
4 Brian Lara
5 Sir Viv Richards (C)
6 Sir Garry Sobers
7 Sir Clyde Walcott (WK)
8 Malcolm Marshall
9 Curtly Ambrose
10 Joel Garner
11 Courtney Walsh

"Im not really sure if that batting line-up is right, but anyway."

My god, what a team :eek:

The openers have a combined batting average of 43.48 in 387 innings, well scoring 15,045 runs with 37 centuries and 73 fifties in 224 matches.

The number 3 to 7 batsman's scored 34,472 runs in 686 innings with a batting average of 54.20 in 420 matches. They also had 109 centuries and 142 fifties with 50 not out's.

The whole batting side had a batting average of 50.42 in 1073 innings (91 not out's), well scoring 49,517 runs with 146 centuries and 215 fifties in 634 matches, also having 623 catches and 11 stumpings for Walcott.

The bowling attack is just as good as the batting attack.

They have 1559 test wickets in 13813 overs (maybe wrong) and 33,398 balls in 369 matches. With a combined bowling average of 22.12 with a strike rate of 53.2, they also have 73 5-wicket hauls and 10 10-wicket hauls between them.

Oh also don't forget Sir Garry Sobers (who I got to meet back in 2000) who had 235 test wickets at 34.03 in 93 matches.

Yes the team has no real spin bowler but with a pace attack of Marshall, Ambrose, Garner and Walsh... would you really need one? But could Sobers not bowl two styles of spin himself I am not too sure how good of a spin bowler Sir Garry Sobers was because I never saw him play but if he was not half bad at it then I think this team maybe very close to being perfect. Can't really see anyone beating them.

Iron-Haggis said:
I'll have a go at an Aussie team.

1. Victor Trumper
2. Bill Ponsford
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Don Bradman
5. Greg Chappell
6. Allan Border (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
8. Keith Miller
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Glenn McGrath

Not picking at your team mate, but do you really think Trumper should get in over Hayden? Im with ben on this one. This is why im not making my top Australia team... Im to much of a pussy to do it :D I don't want to **** it up :eek:

The rest of your team is fine with me, but I would have the Don at the #3 IMO

Btw did anyone think about having Alan Davidson in the team?

nightprowler10

Executive member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
wfdu_ben91 said:
When's Inzy ever averaged 100 in a calendar year? Miandad is debateable but I'd take Yousuf over Inzy anyday.
Since when is averaging 100 in a year the requirement to be considered an all time great. Outside of the last 14 months, Yousuf has rarely played a match winning knock for Pakistan. Inzamam on the other hand is a champion and always has been. I'm not putting Yousuf down or anything, he has been amazing as of late, but he's no Inzamam, at least not yet anyway. Another good, doesn't have to be another stellar year, and I'll consider him as the second best.

Dare said:
i would rather have Yousuf in there than Younis, yea Younis might be a better #3 but hes not a better batsman. if anything Miandad would be my #3 and Yousuf or Inzi 4 and 5.
I tried doing that but here's the problem. Miandad averages in the 20s and Yousuf less than 10 at that position. Like I said, Younis is probably the best number 3 we've ever had. And being a number 3 in the current Pakistani team basically means you're an opener :p so being so good at that position is something to be proud of.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
LA ICE-E said:
bangladesh:
1.shareer nafees
2.javed omar
3.mohammad ashraful
4.habibul bashar
5.aminul islam
6.akram khan
7.khaled mashud
8.mohammad rafique
9.enamul haque
10.marshafe mortoza
11.munjurul islam

thats just in my view but bangladesh's best team is yet to come...
A) You need Aftab Ahmed and Khaled Mahmud. The first, because he is the only bangladeshi to have an ODI fifer, and also cause he is an extremely talented and destructive bat, and the latter for all his service to the team. Despite all the off-field stuff (Retiring and stuff), and the fact he wasn't very talented, he was a good skipper, and a good role model for the players. And if the All Time XIs were to play in England, he'd be a very useful bowler...
B) Which Manjural Islam, the seamer or spinner? Personally, I'd have neither, I'd go for Razzaq over them.
C) Hasibul Hossain? One of the fastest bowlers produced by Bangladesh? He should be there.

I'd have:

Nafees
Omar
Aftab
Bashar
Ashraful
Aminul Islam
Mashud (+)
Mahmud (*)
Rafique
Mortaza
Hossain
12th Man: Enamul Haq.

Yes, and as you said, the best is yet to come...

How about a Zimbabwe lineup:

Kevin Arnott
Dave Houghton
Andy Flower (*)
Alistair Campbell
Murray Goodwin
Tatenda Taibu (+)
Heath Streak
Paul Strang
Eddo Brandes
Prosper Utseya
Henry Olonga

A bit of a long tail, but Zimbabwe never really had a quality allrounder. Guy Whitall, Elton Chigumbura and Dougie Marillier just don't cut it sadly. But Streak, Strang, Brandes and Utseya can all bt a bit. Also, they need the 5 bowlers, not of the bats are even part-timers!

Last edited:

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
Eddo Brandes is a legend. I'll never forget his sledging with McGrath one of the all time great cricket moments

charith

Club Captain
I'll have a shot at Sri Lanka,

Sanath Jayasuriya
Marvan Atapattu
Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda Desilva
Mahela Jayawardene
Arjuna Ranatunga(Capt)
Romesh Kaluwitharana(keeper)
Chaminda Vaas
Ravi Ratnayake
Asantha Demel
Muttiah Muralitharan

12th man: Roshan Mahanama(was a brilliant fielder)

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Leicester Fox said:
Eddo Brandes is a legend. I'll never forget his sledging with McGrath one of the all time great cricket moments
LMAO!!! I just read what happened on wikipedia. McGrath got owned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddo_Brandes.

Since when is averaging 100 in a year the requirement to be considered an all time great. Outside of the last 14 months, Yousuf has rarely played a match winning knock for Pakistan. Inzamam on the other hand is a champion and always has been. I'm not putting Yousuf down or anything, he has been amazing as of late, but he's no Inzamam, at least not yet anyway. Another good, doesn't have to be another stellar year, and I'll consider him as the second best.
Yeah I spouse. Yousuf wasn't far behind before he hit his strides and I don't think Inzy has ever been as successful as what Yousuf acchieved this year. We're talking about a batting average of 50 compared to a batting average of 56 remember and both guys have played their fair share of games aswell. Would you consider Steve Waugh a better batsman then Ricky Ponting?

Users who are viewing this thread