Cricket 24 - General Discussion

Sripad

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Found one of the videos of DBC 14:

Gameplay, textures, lighting, ground, pitch, everything was so perfect. Feels like a game of realism. They likely tried to make it modern by getting away from all of those which probably felt like the age of Don Bradman. They lost it all in the process, now trying to find something. Compared where it was back then, those few good stuff we speak about in the recent games would have been like a default upgrade. Like this is the bare minimum we'd expect BA would do. Sadly, that isn't the case.

Still, I hope BA looks back at DBC 14 for the next iterations at least and bring in some influence from there. That'd possibly bring back BA's glory in Cricket.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
PlanetCricket Award Winner
A question to the insiders or whoever can answer - what did they change in DBC17? was it the game engine or the whole team itself?
The game engine if I remember correctly. It was done as it would allow them to expand and utilize aspects of the engine more fully is what I remember being said in the beta process. Whether they actually succeeded is very much open to debate.

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A little surprised that there is no major update to the HUD to be more akin to the WC ones - especially with the kits and licenses.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne

We don't have play and misses like this either anymore
To be fair bowling in DBC 14 was broken and was only remedied by @francobaldo's awesometweak mod
Post automatically merged:

A little surprised that there is no major update to the HUD to be more akin to the WC ones - especially with the kits and licenses.
Although we dont know that for sure but there is a huge amount of low hanging fruit they could have picked to give the game a fresh new look and as far as the evidence is pointing to at the moment they once again didn't do so.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
To be fair bowling in DBC 14 was broken and was only remedied by @francobaldo's awesometweak mod

Although we dont know that for sure but there is a huge amount of low hanging fruit they could have picked to give the game a fresh new look and as far as the evidence is pointing to at the moment they once again didn't do so.

Yeah that clip maybe with Franco's mod working now I think of it!

Ahmad94

Staff Member
PAK...
KK
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Found one of the videos of DBC 14:

Gameplay, textures, lighting, ground, pitch, everything was so perfect. Feels like a game of realism. They likely tried to make it modern by getting away from all of those which probably felt like the age of Don Bradman. They lost it all in the process, now trying to find something. Compared where it was back then, those few good stuff we speak about in the recent games would have been like a default upgrade. Like this is the bare minimum we'd expect BA would do. Sadly, that isn't the case.

Still, I hope BA looks back at DBC 14 for the next iterations at least and bring in some influence from there. That'd possibly bring back BA's glory in Cricket.

I think these games, it was made for a more cricket-centric approach with the need for a controller to play.

The minute they tried to make it a generic cricket game for the masses, it seemed to lose the magic that the earlier versions had.

Dutch

DutchTheOnlyOne
DBC 14 was such a revolutionary breath of fresh air and I played that game to bits. Loved playing at the Bradman Oval.

I think these games, it was made for a more cricket-centric approach with the need for a controller to play.

The minute they tried to make it a generic cricket game for the masses, it seemed to lose the magic that the earlier versions had.
The forum was alive and buzzing then and people were asking for specific items to be put in the game and it happened. Remember the playing cards? The sounds were top notch too. Its such a shame they havent managed to cement that legacy.

smurfygray86

Associate Captain
Yeah that clip maybe with Franco's mod working now I think of it!
What was the mod was it on pc I take it ? Never played it before just seen videos thinking of giving it a bash whilst this comes out and sorts itself out. Plus warne was on it wasn’t he ?

T.J.Hooker II

Club Captain
Yea if they have an actual impact on the gameplay, like particular bowling action make it hard to read outswing or particular shot animation having bigger chance to connect the ball and tailenders batting animations make it difficult to connect the ball
Animations have a direct effect on gameplay because, I believe, the ideal shot window is specific to each shot and there's probably some differences with angles somewhere along the line.

For instance, C22 did have some trigger movement stuff happening and I've wondered for a while if they could mocap Harry Brook, because his trigger movement gets about 95% of his footwork and backlift done before the release of the ball.

Let me be clear about what I mean here - when the bowler releases, Harry Brook has his backlift already nearly fully complete and his feet are spread wide enough and far enough down the wicket to complete a front foot drive. In the event that he wants to attack - to trigger a drive, in C22 terms - he doesn't have to spend any time (or frames of animation) lifting his bat or getting his front foot down the wicket while the ball is actually in the air.

I'm going a bit long with this post but stay with me. This is where it gets interesting, honest.

The key thing for the game is this : the number of frames required to get to the ideal contact frame in a batting animation when a shot is triggered. The more frames are required, the earlier you need to trigger the shot to achieve ideal timing.

So a Harry Brook style trigger movement would effectively load up a chunk of backlift and footwork before the user input (or the shot decision, in irl batting terms) so the number of frames required to achieve ideal timing from the point of user input is less - IOW, you would see more of the delivery before having to make your input.

I don't mean to suggest BA have any actual plans to implement a Harry Brook trigger movement, perhaps I should add.

ASHES_FAN

Associate Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Not always but often Codemaster got things right. Although outdated by today's standards BLIC'99 certainly was and remains an exceptional cricket game. Even their Ashes 09 and Cricket 10 were excellent products when compared to BA's cricket games. Sadly, Codemaster is unlikely to return to cricket games and we are stuck with BA for the unforeseeable future. BA has lived long enough to become the villain. It has become what it despised the most, the Trickstar Games.
some of the animations in BLC 2005 were great too. Like if a batter missed a ball, the bowler would kinda mock them. If a batter was hit, their confidence dropped and they would react to it. In big ant games, if you get hit on the head you can still run multiple runs like nothing happened

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Wealey

ICC Board Member
some of the animations in BLC 2005 were great too. Like if a batter missed a ball, the bowler would kinda mock them. If a batter was hit, their confidence dropped and they would react to it. In big ant games, if you get hit on the head you can still run multiple runs like nothing happened

Good atmosphere in that bottom game!

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
When games don't show gameplay pre-release, it's a massive red flag.

IGN haven't got hold of this game and we are only getting screenshots tomorrow,this is looking well dodgy.
When games, films and TV aren't given to reviewers pre-release, it's a massive red flag.

A delayed game, and they're still not confident enough in its gameplay to show it pre-release. They'll be hoping to distract many with the licenses whilst they hash together gameplay improvements. But, as is tradition now, they'll only go so far and will leave it in an average state after a few months.

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Something I mentioned to the devs during last game was the ability to adjust the late or early windows.

If your late or early now it produces a genuine play and miss for the user. Only issue is you have to be so early or so late that most normally functioning humans won't be unless it's done on purpose. I'd love to increase those windows and then that would increase the amount of bowleds abd lbw's for the user when batting.

I feel currently unless I nick it I'm not getting out.

Users who are viewing this thread