Cricket Academy Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs Thread

While you're here HBK...can you manually select the CPU XI in a quick match? Or is it still a matter of the CPU selecting an XI based on match conditions/type/player attributes/sticking with default lineup for that match type?
You can select it, but there's also the option to set defaults for them for the match types so it'll be automatically selected by the AI too.

While you're here HBK...does timing early or late while batting effects the batsman negatively? what if the timing is exactly what i intended to hit the ball finer/squarer(?)?
Depends on the term negatively. Hitting it earlier or later will cause shots to be more lofted if early, causing the ball to generally go shorter and in catching positions. Later will generally cause the ball to be a bump ball a lot more meaning you'll be hitting it a lot shorter in the field.

Not necessarily negative, but you want to be timing it in an ideal way more often than not.

You can select it, but there's also the option to set defaults for them for the match types so it'll be automatically selected by the AI too.

Depends on the term negatively. Hitting it earlier or later will cause shots to be more lofted if early, causing the ball to generally go shorter and in catching positions. Later will generally cause the ball to be a bump ball a lot more meaning you'll be hitting it a lot shorter in the field.

Not necessarily negative, but you want to be timing it in an ideal way more often than not.

i meant to ask whether it affects the batsman's confidence or not. I have noticed it is hard to play behind square leg without hitting it very late. Unless of course I am missing something.

i meant to ask whether it affects the batsman's confidence or not. I have noticed it is hard to play behind square leg without hitting it very late. Unless of course I am missing something.

This. Need to get more info on how to hit shots behind square on the leg side, especially fine leg or nudge/flick past the wkt keeper.

hi ross personally i find the risk reward playing defensive shot is less and would rather play strokes ,this is similar to blic 99, the probability of defensive shots edging seems the same as strokes,also it would be cool if there is a chance to nudge a bit with def shots .

----------

also i have frame rate hiccups occasionaly,where frame rate suddenly drops down from 60 -30s and rises back to 60 in a sec,it mostly occurs when the animation transition is happening i guess, like playing the ball etc.
(my spec dual core sandy 2.8 ghz, ati 7770 ,.4gb ,win 8 im playing @ 1920 res,all high except AA and ambient occlusion)when it runs its smooth.

also the win mouse cursor appears in the middle of the screen sometimes,though it can be moved away out of sight.

hi ross personally i find the risk reward playing defensive shot is less and would rather play strokes ,this is similar to blic 99, the probability of defensive shots edging seems the same as strokes,also it would be cool if there is a chance to nudge a bit with def shots .

I (respectfully) disagree with you on this. Playing defensive strokes in the game are much much less riskier than when playing non-defensive shots.

Yes, on the harder difficulty levels (i.e. where you choose your footwork), one can get out while playing a defensive shot if playing down the wrong line, but thats what cricket is all about (and is perfectly replicated on the game, something that has been missing in all the games before). If you play down the wrong line, you will get out no matter what shot you are playing.

However, the area where the defensive shot is different to the aggressive shots is in the 'timing window' that you get. You get a much larger timing window when playing a defensive shot, and even with that large window for 'ideal' timing, you can still get away with some ill-timed defensive shots. This is how playing defensive is much less likely to get you out, and yet it doesnt make it impossible to get you out if you keep defending all the time, which was the case in most previous games.

The way batting has been implemented in this game, 'almost' (I say almost, as there are some situations where the ai did something totally different from the inputs I gave, plus there are some <lack of> animation issues as well) everytime I get out, it felt like it was due to me making a mistake, rather than the gameplay cheating on me.

I (respectfully) disagree with you on this. Playing defensive strokes in the game are much much less riskier than when playing non-defensive shots.

Yes, on the harder difficulty levels (i.e. where you choose your footwork), one can get out while playing a defensive shot if playing down the wrong line, but thats what cricket is all about (and is perfectly replicated on the game, something that has been missing in all the games before). If you play down the wrong line, you will get out no matter what shot you are playing.

However, the area where the defensive shot is different to the aggressive shots is in the 'timing window' that you get. You get a much larger timing window when playing a defensive shot, and even with that large window for 'ideal' timing, you can still get away with some ill-timed defensive shots. This is how playing defensive is much less likely to get you out, and yet it doesnt make it impossible to get you out if you keep defending all the time, which was the case in most previous games.

The way batting has been implemented in this game, 'almost' (I say almost, as there are some situations where the ai did something totally different from the inputs I gave, plus there are some <lack of> animation issues as well) everytime I get out, it felt like it was due to me making a mistake, rather than the gameplay cheating on me.

Regarding your last para, i agree. Sometimes even in legend mode, the player's footwork seem to go the opposite way of the input. It is very very rare and hard to recreate though.

Ross, is there any work around of being able to see the ball being delivered from around the wicket against a right handed batsman (in close batsman camera)? The batsman's body seems to block the majority of the view. I really like this camera and hence was wondering. The issue doesn't crop up in the other two camera angles.

Regarding your last para, i agree. Sometimes even in legend mode, the player's footwork seem to go the opposite way of the input. It is very very rare and hard to recreate though.

Yeah...I had asked Ross about this on IVG, and this was his reply:

Perhaps if the footwork and bat in combination would render the footwork impossible but it shouldn't happen often.

Answer this one too, HBK :p-
Hey Mike, while you are on here. Can you shed light on how WK career mode will work out? Do we have to catch each and every ball or only few selected deliveries? And can we move him near the stumps against the quickies?

OFF TOPIC:

Could someone who had issues with downloading and doesn't care about bandwidth fees please try the following link and let me know how it goes?

http://cdn2.cricketacademygame.com/casetup_099_94.exe

Been kicking the CDN provider as we're obviously not happy with the hosting, especially as it reasonably expensive (I pay by the gig), so I am looking to change.

just downloaded it very quickly with no problems at all.

however, come to think of it, i'm on ethernet at the moment and the problems i had were with wireless on my other computer, which i can't check until this evening.

Answer this one too, HBK :p-
If you are keeper, you keep for every delivery (you can still simulate).

I'm not 100% sure about moving up to quickies, I don't believe so due to the issues with reflexes and such when that happened, but I can find out.

Last edited:
It would be great if we could manually change the camera angles and save them.

One of the reasons I love the Pro cam is because you get a good feeling for how far you hit the ball and the speed the ball is travelling off the bat along the ground. This is because the camera is positioned higher and so you get more depth in the view.

It would be good if I could set the close behind camera to be higher so I can still see my batsman play the shots but also get a better feel for depth, etc.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I would rather not sift through 100 odd pages.

When editing my created player, every time I attempt to edit my player's skill attributes, the game closes completely. When I say completely I mean it literally closes to the desktop. I'm not quite sure when and how the problem occurs but it seems that whenever I use the mouse to edit a skill (I have a ps3 controller connected) is when the problem occurs.

If you need any more information ask away and I'll try my best to answer

^I have no idea about your query, but I wanted to inform you that I find your name enlightening. Some flexibility you must have.

Just had an idea for a future iteration.

Maybe you would have to train in the nets as a batter, bowler, fielder and reach a certain level of proficiency before you could be selected to play in a grade cricket side. It could be used as a tutorial?

Or you could optionally train between matches to increase certain stats if RPG elements are introduced? Actually that might become a bit monotonous, but a tutorial would be good.

I also think it would be awesome to have "Challenge" modes, where you are challenged with emulating a historical feat that was achieved. This may already be in the game?

Has anyone done a defence shot while leaving the crease, is it in the game as I have tried and nothing yet.

----------

Just had an idea for a future iteration.

Maybe you would have to train in the nets as a batter, bowler, fielder and reach a certain level of proficiency before you could be selected to play in a grade cricket side. It could be used as a tutorial?

Or you could optionally train between matches to increase certain stats if RPG elements are introduced? Actually that might become a bit monotonous, but a tutorial would be good.

I also think it would be awesome to have "Challenge" modes, where you are challenged with emulating a historical feat that was achieved. This may already be in the game?

Yes I said this ages ago mate, it's something I would love to get a boost for confidence or eye in or stats. Maybe next time a ross.;)

Users who are viewing this thread