Don Bradman Cricket Academy Beta Version 0.99.94c Download

fanirama

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Has anyone been able to do a successful fine leg glance? How do you achieve this?

I fixed marker spot at mid pitch angled toward leg, seam bowler at Amateur.
Ball travels to hip about 8" to left meaning if I miss it should go to keeper.

Now, LeftStick down (back foot) or LeftStick up (front foot) + Right Stick down (or very slight left) should produce a leg glance, but I'm not getting it.

A third man glance seems to work occasionally meaning it is my timing but fine leg glance seems impossible.

What gives? I'm thinking that shot is there but just not getting pulled off. Are there videos of that?

Pat

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
^^It is certainly possible, you can try changing the marker length to full on the leg-side and you will be able to connect. Most fine leg glances don't go very fine, but if you play late enough, you will be able to hit some fine. I saw a video in the other thread showing fine-leg glance.

balkeet

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Has anyone been able to do a successful fine leg glance? How do you achieve this?

Now, LeftStick down (back foot) or LeftStick up (front foot) + Right Stick down (or very slight left) should produce a leg glance, but I'm not getting it.

A third man glance seems to work occasionally meaning it is my timing but fine leg glance seems impossible.

What gives? I'm thinking that shot is there but just not getting pulled off. Are there videos of that?

leg glance in dbc14 - YouTube

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England

while since i played nets but i found the secret was to moving across to the off-side as you play, and play late, this helps you get it finer.

fanirama

Club Captain
Nice. Thanks. This is such a common shot in cricket that it really should be easy to pull off but strangely seems to be the toughest.

Also square shots are also tougher but I have better success for it.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I guess we won't get to know how fine or square the glance is unless we get the game and hit the nets in the middle (match practice). So far it seems leg glances and shot off the toes are hit square off the wkt.

kasabian21

International Coach
I couldn't resist the temptation any longer and bought a copy of Windows 7 to install on my fairly old (late 2009) Macbook, on the the off chance that Cricket Academy would work?and after much time and effort spent installing windows, installing drivers so it recognised the graphics card (Geforce 9400M) and downloading drivers so I could use my PS3 controller it actually worked! Obviously this little review isn't going to of interest to many as most have been creating players and playing in the nets for months, but I thought I'd share my view.

The interface is great. Very clean and just looks quality. The player creator?insane! I spent at least an hour creating myself and I'm sure there's more i could do. Quite overwhelmed by just how good it is. I had a browse through some of the teams done by members on here and there is some seriously good work - looking forward to download these when I get the game in March.

Now the important bit - nets. I set it up so it'd be fairly easy (or so I thought) and with the following on the bowling machine: fast, seam, over the wicket, random lengths?I sucked. It actually feels fast. I felt a sense of pride/relief when I managed to dead-ball a few deliveries down into the ground! I'm not sure if it was my computer lagging a bit, but the reaction time needed is bloody quick. On medium it was a touch easier, but I was still struggling, so i switched to spin. Much more my style! Decided to defend every ball thinking i'd 'stick around', but sadly not, fourth ball edged in the direction of 2nd slip and 9th ball a feather to the keeper. No pre-meditation or repetitive tactics are going to work it seems, which is of course a good thing.

What I like best is how they have captured the realism when it comes to playing strokes. With a spinner there is a greater time gap between foot movement and playing the stroke and this is replicated in the game - being able to kind of feel as if I'm doing this with the left and right sticks is great. And of course the opposite is true for fast bowling; there is very little time between foot movement and playing the stroke, which again is replicated well in the game by the need to have them within pretty much at exactly the same time. You feel hurried into playing.

Another thing I love are the little things that have been missing from cricket games: realistic edges and close catches. I popped up an easy catch to short leg from a mistimed backwards defensive to a fast, short ball a few times; popped up a catch in silly points direction after attempted a forward defensive to a ball that shouldn't have even been played at and edged behind to the keeper a few times as well as in the direction of 2nd slip and gully. It's little things like this make the game (in my opinion) and make it realistic. Of course I haven't played the full game but to see these in the nets is very, very encouraging.

Shot selection is varied - timing appears to make a big difference, which again makes it feel more realistic and gives you far greater control as if you were actually playing. I did try to play the same shot to every ball, but as i said above it didn't work to spin and it didn't work to pace either.

As for cameras - pro-mode was impossible! Close batsmen cam was ok, the broadcast cams didn't feel right but far batsmen was spot on. I'll definitely be using this one in game.

The only minor gripe I have is the movement of the batsman. In actual cricket all shots, except for advancing down the pitch, pretty much use the back leg as a pivot, so there shouldn't be too much lateral movement across the crease. However in the nets at times the batsman was suddenly shifted right across to one side or the other depending on which way i moved. In my opinion using the back leg as a pivot for movement, would be more realistic and give an even greater sense of control. For example, moving the left stick back/right and the right stick right - the batsman would step across with his back leg and cut the ball, without completely shifting the player right across, whereas sometimes this was causing the player to move right across. Any of that make sense?!

On the whole i am effin' impressed by it and cannot wait to play the real thing. Gonna go and play it some more now

zombieian

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Very refreshing to read a considered review of the nets session.
Give it a go on the hardest settings. It's quite challenging.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The only minor gripe I have is the movement of the batsman. In actual cricket all shots, except for advancing down the pitch, pretty much use the back leg as a pivot, so there shouldn't be too much lateral movement across the crease. However in the nets at times the batsman was suddenly shifted right across to one side or the other depending on which way i moved. In my opinion using the back leg as a pivot for movement, would be more realistic and give an even greater sense of control. For example, moving the left stick back/right and the right stick right - the batsman would step across with his back leg and cut the ball, without completely shifting the player right across, whereas sometimes this was causing the player to move right across. Any of that make sense?!

I agree, it's one of those unfortunate things where we need to balance what we believe is true in the real world with what makes sense in the constraints of a video game. We did have a number of tries implementing different systems for shifting the player and their weight with this being the best we could come up with so far.

We will continue to iterate the design and release it via the Cricket Academy and whatever works best will then make it into the game via patch, this is a game that will grow over time.

edit: oh yeah, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

kasabian21

International Coach
I agree, it's one of those unfortunate things where we need to balance what we believe is true in the real world with what makes sense in the constraints of a video game. We did have a number of tries implementing different systems for shifting the player and their weight with this being the best we could come up with so far.

We will continue to iterate the design and release it via the Cricket Academy and whatever works best will then make it into the game via patch, this is a game that will grow over time.

edit: oh yeah, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

No problem!

Like I say, just a minor gripe and something that is far, far outweighed by the positives :thumbs.

Are suggestions for the update on friday still open by the way? If, so bowling speeds would be great!

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
One thing I'd like to see is being able to take guard. One thing I've noticed in the nets is sometimes if I'm a bit twitchy with the LS I move my batsmen slightly before playing a shot( so if I started on leg stump I may be at middle) the problem is I have to move the batsman back to leg for the next ball as he starts on a middle stump guard. I sometimes forget to move him until the beep sounds and by then I should be trying to play the ball!! I know its more my own fault for being all thumbs when it comes to gaming but it would be a good thing to be able to take guard when you start batting and be in the same position automatically for every ball unless you want to change your guard!

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
I'll add it to the list, it would be a while before that would get in as it's currently not in the full game

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Another animation which seems to be missing form the nets is batsman jumping on his toes to defend a short ball. Most of the international batsman do this when there is too much bounce. They get on their toes and sometime even jump a tiny bit to drop the ball dead. Maybe it is in the final game. Even if its not, its a minor thing which can be added in the next iteration.

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
Yeah, we're aware of that one, it's not in the game and unfortunately would be unlikely to be in a patch.

Ajh1977

International Coach
Profile Flag
England
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I'll add it to the list, it would be a while before that would get in as it's currently not in the full game

That's great Ross thanks, if its in future versions maybe there could be the animation of asking the umpire, whilst turning your bat sidewards and marking the pitch with your studs( it doesn't have to be a trott-like OCD affair every ball)!

Users who are viewing this thread