Your Cricket Cricket Club Discussion

I envy all you people just starting your cricket seasons. My season just finished and it was probably the worst season me as an individual and my team have had. My team finished 7th out of 8, with only 3 wins (2 outright both against last). I scored 214 runs at an average of 12.59 with a top score of 72 and that was the third best batting figures in the team. With the ball i took 26 wickets at 21.19 with best bowling of 5/33, the wickets came as a mixture of medium pace and off spin.

Might get a chance to improve on that sooner, since I'm going Canada and the UK fairly soon, hoping to play a few games while overseas.

I'm also interested to hear what other peoples highest scores and best bowling figures are? Hopefully with no one making things up. Highest score is 101 and best bowling is 8/27. That game where I took 8/27 holds some pretty painful memories too.

Just some info about me before my Monday nets, so you know:

At school, I am an All Rounder, although this isnt against great players so I may not be at my club.
Im an aggressive RHB and I bowl LS and RM. Hopefully can at least get in as a spinner as I can get a decent amount of turn

Good day today. 2nd's won and I top scored with 48 opening the batting, which is also my best score ever. Been asked to captain the 3rd's tomorrow, I'm going to be the second oldest at 19. :eek:

stevie said:
Good day today. 2nd's won and I top scored with 48 opening the batting, which is also my best score ever. Been asked to captain the 3rd's tomorrow, I'm going to be the second oldest at 19. :eek:

Well done Stevie :clap :p. We've got training tommorow and our next game is on thrusday against our A team.

The Spin said:
Just some info about me before my Monday nets, so you know:

At school, I am an All Rounder, although this isnt against great players so I may not be at my club.
Im an aggressive RHB and I bowl LS and RM. Hopefully can at least get in as a spinner as I can get a decent amount of turn

I think you are my identical cricket brother.

Why are leggies much more rare that offies when leg spinning is easier to do?

Drewska said:
Well done Stevie :clap :p. We've got training tommorow and our next game is on thrusday against our A team.

Good luck. :)

James_W said:
I think you are my identical cricket brother.

Why are leggies much more rare that offies when leg spinning is easier to do?

You're a lucky lad if you find bowling leg spin easier than off spin!

stevie said:

I probably won't be playing after a poor performance on last Thursday :(. I'm going to concentrate on bowling leg-spin now, bowling pace just doesn't fit me.

stevie said:

You're a lucky lad if you find bowling leg spin easier than off spin!

But off spinning is so awkward and sore! Leggies are just a quick sharp roll of the wrist! Really, how do you off-spin??? :crying

your probs not doing it right then mate, dont forget leggies are only rarer at high levels and they bowl their spin at 100km/h, you try bowl a fast leggie then bowl a fast offie and tell me which one is easier. I agree with you that at the speed you and I would be bowling leggies are easier, but try put some pace on one of your leggies and tell me if you can get it on the pitch. That wasnt having a go at you btw, just telling you why you dont see offies at young ages and you dont see leggies at senior levels

Fair enough, I don't really use a speedometer though do I. But really, how do you bowl offies?

Two fingers grip the ball with your thumb resting on the other side, then a clockwise tweak of either the wrist or those two fingers will impart spin on the ball to send it in to the batsman, and thus an off-spinner.

The thumb is not the important part, but I find it easier having it resting on the opposite side of the ball to my two main spinning fingers.

Got back from training about hour and a half ago.. just did some basic stuff. Sorted my run up out hopefully.

For offspinners, I tend to keep use my index finger. There is a big gap between my index and my middle finger. The thumb just rests beside the index finger. When you bowl, go in with a side on action and rotate your body as you bowl. I don't flick my wrists a lot, but let go off the ball rotating your fingers clockwise and give it a good rip with your index finger and watch the ball loop and spin. Bowl it just outside offstump.

I noticed that this thread was started by Fardin.
Reminds me of those days when he was a regular poster.

Users who are viewing this thread