Cricket Heroes - testing & feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtkz

Game Developer
Agreed, but I don't want to make it artificially difficult to bowl -

what if instead of selecting an exact bowling position, you select a length (yorker, full, good, short) and an angle from the bowling crease?

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Having played it briefly I felt Kurtz isn't trying to make bowling a case of "reflexes" rather plans and areas. A good bowler can invariably put the ball where he wants within reason, and with good rhythm he will find the right areas. Likewise a batsman can do a lot to hit a good ball regardless of how "perfect" a ball it is.

Just felt to me that the bowling, with a good AI batting opposition, doesn't need a set of variables whereby being able to nail it on a line each ball will eventually lead to teams being out the whole time (see every cricket game ever released haha).

I guess my point is, what sort of scores are posted when you bowl? It should take a few matches to define whether bowling is too easy or too hard...

kurtkz

Game Developer
@puddleduck: You've explained it better than I ever could - even though you tell the bowler you want to bowl an inswinging yorker on middle, it's not guaranteed to turn out that way.

It depends on quite a few factors including the skill of the bowler, his concentration and stamina, weather and pitch conditions.

Meet does have a point though - it does tend to get a bit boring. I have no idea how to "spice" it up though.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
He does indeed, and I would suggest looking at the MLB 12: The Show new method of pitching: Pulse pitching.

So the circle where you put the ball pulses bigger and smaller. Bigger is obviously worse because it can then actually pitch in any of that circle, smaller is better... It wouldn't need to be that quick, doesn't effect no-balls, speed etc, but can essentially turn a good ball into a bad ball and a bad ball into a shocking wide etc...

kurtkz

Game Developer
Aaaah, that makes sense and it doesn't sound too gimmicky. The current marker kind of does that - it indicates the area in which the ball will pitch. It does grow and shrink outside of that boundary though, so it's something I can introduce. Good idea!

deep007ism

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
In your latest release v1.31 mouse pointer is not working for me..:noway

kurtkz

Game Developer
Cool, unplug it and restart the game and it should work fine. I'll see if I can add hot-swopping in the next release so that you don't need to restart the game.

----------

Aaah, I see what you're getting at - the gamepad emulates the mouse :) Move around with the D-pad or analogue stick, button 1 = left click, button 2 = right click.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Aaaah, that makes sense and it doesn't sound too gimmicky. The current marker kind of does that - it indicates the area in which the ball will pitch. It does grow and shrink outside of that boundary though, so it's something I can introduce. Good idea!

As you say, it's basically what's happening anyway.

The potential for it is fairly big as well... for example -

The obvious setup wherein the better the bowler, the smaller the pulse. This seems to make sense for part-timers whereby getting it half-right each time leads to a potentially decent spell, but also a potentially atrocious spell.

This last point is important, because as a bowler gets hit for a few boundaries, or bowls a few wides, the pulse grows. Hit Steyn for 6 sixes in an over, and his pulse is going to suddenly seem like you're bowling with a part-timer. Each ball is tricky to get where you want because mentally he's shot. Of course, taking him out the attack for a certain amount of overs will see it slowly return to normal.

Hence you introduce the idea of taking bowlers out the attack. Attacking a part-timer to try and remove a relief bowler and put more pressure (strain, or literally their stamina and fitness). From here you can feasibly introduce mental strength as a statistic as well. The higher it is, the longer it takes for the pulse to expand under duress etc...

Again, back to thinking out loud and I'll leave it there :P

deep007ism

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Mate any chance of trying 3D mode in Beta Version..?

kurtkz

Game Developer
@puddleduck: That's exactly what happens currently :) I haven't factored in mental strength yet though as I'm just approximating that with the bowler's skill level at the moment.

@deep007sim: Unfortunately that's not an option at the moment - I'll probably introduce it in the free version when the game is finished.

kurtkz

Game Developer
The Appeal meter will pop up in the bottom left corner of the screen. Press your A button (the default key is I) before the meter runs out and you'll appeal.

Apologies guys, I need to update the website with this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread