Cricket Leagues - Support and Advice

Pinch hitter

Smash… Smash… Smash!
India
RCB...
Avengers
thanks... it works, when i start 1daycric in XP mode :yes... but today .exe stop working when i try to sim match... so i am back to DOSbox again...:(

UK768

Banned
Profile Flag
Pakistan
I'm really interested in this section of the forums. I've been managing teams here for quite a while now, and I'm tempted to manage a league too. As a newbie it might be difficult to do so, but, I have had a good look at this thread. That thread is all I wanted to motivate me to run a league here.

I'll get to where I am, and where I should be.

Things I've learnt so far:
  • Simulating a match with Cricket Heroes & CrickSim - It's not long before I downloaded Cricket Heroes after reading the dummies thread, it's a great sim and an easy one to handle. I can simulate a match with any format, and it's also quite easy to post the scorecards and commentary of a simulated match, on the forums. The first problem is it that I'm waiting for @kurtkz to upload the full Mac version, which might take a week to upload. But, other than that, it really isn't a problem. The second problem is that I can't get the ratings right. So I had to download CrickSim. CrickSim isn't running on Mac, so I decided to run it on/with DosBox, it's been running quite obnoxiously. It's slow and I can't even successfully save the commentary and scorecard files. But the ratings are good, even if they can't be perfect. Reading this really helped me with CrickSim.
  • Using the BB Codes (From here) - It is an important thing to make Your league presentable, if I am going to start a league with all the nonsense presentation like, the red underlined ginarmous arial fonts, or the blue italicized tiny Times New Roman fonts. I'll basically be making myself ban-worthy from this section for making a few people blind.
  • Attractive graphics - Good graphics attract people to be a part of something like this, even if I'm running a simple three-team ODI tournament. I'm not an expert at this, in fact, I don't even know how to use photoshop. But, I can ask a few people to do this for me in the Graphics forums.
  • Good grammar & Language - As The Author stated in the dummies thread, "It's difficult to over-state how important this is. If you take the time to proof-read what you post, and to articulate things clearly, your league will run far more smoothly. You may want to send what you've written to a more experienced manager for some feedback. If you ignore this step, it can lead to confusion and misunderstandings that will not help your league to be a success," so I wouldn't wanna confuse people and stop my league from being a success. I'll keep it simple and understandable.
  • Ideas - It's an important thing to have a unique idea, and if You can't have one like this, then You should may as well do this. But it is always important to not over-complicate things when it's Your first time running a league.
Things I need to learn:
  • Saving the commentary and scorecard files - As mentioned in the first point, I can't save the scorecards and the commentary of the match I simulate, how do You guys save it and post it here?
  • How do I use/make these codes? I'm talking about that small grey window with a scroll bar on the right.
Botswana-flag.png

:bot: Botswana
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager: Cyclops11
Coach: Arjun Menon

Squad

:bot: :wkb: Gaolape Mokokwe
:bot: :wkb: Karabo Motlanka
:bot: :bat: Faisal Rasheed
:bot: :bat: Zain Abbasi

:bot: :bat: Sooraj Kollery
:bot: :ar: Karabo Modise :c:
:bot: :ar: Reginald Nehonde

:bot: :ar: James Moses
:bot: :wk: Denzil Sequeira
:bot: :bat: Waseem Tajbhay

:bot: :ar: Nabil Master
:bot: :bwl: Hasantha Mudiyanselage
:bot: :bwl: Omar Ali
:bot: :bwl: Russell Withey

:bot: :ar: Ameer Saiyed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTML:
BOTSWANA

BATTING & FIELDING

Player            Mat  Inns  NO  Runs  HS    Avg    BF    S/R   100s 50s  4s  6s  0s  Ct  St
K Motlanka         3     3    0   75   34   25.00  170   44.12    0   0    2   0   0   0   0
JWN Moses          3     3    0   69   31   23.00  132   52.27    0   0    4   0   0   0   -
G Mokokwe          3     3    0   62   32   20.67   92   67.39    0   0    4   0   0   3   0
K Modise           3     3    1   52   29*  26.00  113   46.02    0   0    1   0   0   0   -
R Nehonde          3     3    2   39   35*  39.00   74   52.70    0   0    1   0   0   2   -
Ameer Saiyed       3     3    1   37   16*  18.50   57   64.91    0   0    0   0   0   0   -
W Tajbhay          3     3    1   29   19*  14.50   51   56.86    0   0    0   0   0   0   -
S Kollery          3     3    0   13   12    4.33   51   25.49    0   0    0   0   1   1   -
N Master           3     3    0   14    7    4.67   30   46.67    0   0    1   0   0   0   -
R Withey           3     1    0    8    8    8.00   18   44.44    0   0    0   0   0   2   -
Omar Ali           3     1    0    0    0    0.00    1    0.00    0   0    0   0   1   0   -

BOWLING

Player          Mat  Inns  Overs  Mdns  Runs  Wkts    BBI   Avg   Econ   S/R  4w  5w
Ameer Saiyed     3     1   10.0    2     26     3    3/26   8.67  2.60  20.0   0   0
K Modise         3     3   12.0    2     51     3    2/13  17.00  4.25  24.0   0   0
JWN Moses        3     3   17.4    2     59     3    3/28  19.67  3.34  35.3   0   0
R Withey         3     3   21.0    0     89     3    3/29  29.67  4.24  42.0   0   0
Omar Ali         3     3   10.4    0     96     2    1/25  48.00  9.00  32.0   0   0
N Master         3     2   12.0    1     56     1    1/28  56.00  4.67  72.0   0   0
R Nehonde        3     3   15.0    0     55     0    0/15   N/A   3.67    -    0   0
  • Is it really important to have an overlay for the league? - Only a few leagues are using overlays on the match posts, like @Raghu's Pro Club, or My brother's Elite League New Zealand. Is it really necessary?
  • Statistics - There is a conversation in the same thread I've posted this about how to save statistics in text format, I've seen @VC the slogger posting statistics in text format, You can see them in his quoted post, above. Can I save statistics in text format? If I can, then how?
  • Is it a good time to start it? - With a few really good leagues, and the PCPL going on, is it a good idea to make it excessive?

Since You wrote the dummies thread, I guess I'll have to ask You for help. @The Author.

UK768

Banned
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Oh, and what are the most favorite fonts of the site? Almost all the leagues have either the default fonts, or Trebuchet MS.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Things I need to learn:
  • Saving the commentary and scorecard files - As mentioned in the first point, I can't save the scorecards and the commentary of the match I simulate, how do You guys save it and post it here?
  • How do I use/make these codes? I'm talking about that small grey window with a scroll bar on the right.
Oh, and what are the most favorite fonts of the site? Almost all the leagues have either the default fonts, or Trebuchet MS.

• After simulsting a match in the Syedur Rahman's - The Cricket Simulatir you can find two files named as SCORE.txt for Scorecard and COMM.txt for Commentary, just copy these files somewhere else before simulating the next one.
  • For the Grey small window(known as cricket heroes scorecard), you have to use these codes [cricketheroes][score]-----your content-----[/score][/cricketheroes], For the white code use [code]---your content---[/code].*I've used plain text to clear the concept to you.
  • Yes Trebuchet MS is the favorite font in the Leagues Section.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels
  • Is it really important to have an overlay for the league? - Only a few leagues are using overlays on the match posts, like @Raghu's Pro Club, or My brother's Elite League New Zealand. Is it really necessary?
  • Statistics - There is a conversation in the same thread I've posted this about how to save statistics in text format, I've seen @VC the slogger posting statistics in text format, You can see them in his quoted post, above. Can I save statistics in text format? If I can, then how?
  • Please ask a question regarding it.
  • No - if you want attraction, suspense then you can simply be inspired by te legend of PC @VC the slogger & @The Author , the just format their text and use perfect images that there isn't need of any overlay.
  • For the sims own stats you have to click on the the top left of the window clicking on Edit>Copy(Note: You have to select using the mouse.). Secondly, VC doesn't use sim's default stats (as per my knowledge), he calculates the entire stats.

UK768

Banned
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  • Is it a good time to start it? - With a few really good leagues, and the PCPL going on, is it a good idea to make it excessive?
Uhm…?

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
Saving stats depends upon which sim you use. As Ali. said Cricsim has that option. And about your league, go on and create one if you have something different. No matter whether PCPL or other interesting leagues are running or not. Members are always waiting and welcome league with new ideas.

Best of luck for your league.

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...

Yeah. Some of us like to take Cricinfo and CricArchive for everything they've got on players from the respective countries we're starting leagues in. I like doing player list requests from time to time.

You can get them from the simulator itself if you're not using dosbox the way @Ali. has explained above. I still prefer to do the stats by myself in the leagues I manage, regardless of how much of a headache they can be.

AliB

ICC President
India
AFG...
Mumbai Indians
Adelaide Strikers
X Rebels

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
How to Run CRICSIM on Windows 8.1 ? ITS CRASHING and due to some reason my whole database got corrupt :(
does any other sim (50 overs !!) work on WIN 8.1 ??????

Users who are viewing this thread