Dean Jones sacked after 'terrorist' remark

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I don't know if this is new news or old news, but this article on Cricinfo has left me without knowing how to react. I regarded Dean Jones as a pretty good commentator, and I do not know quite how to think of him now.

I loved him as a commentator, but this act makes him stupid. Absolutley stupid what he did.

This is indeed "new" news. I'm slightly concerned that his response was to say that people weren't meant to hear it and not that he should never have said it.

barmyarmy said:
This is indeed "new" news. I'm slightly concerned that his response was to say that people weren't meant to hear it and not that he should never have said it.

Yeah, I also took notice of that. In his way he could have said that remark, but the TV viewers shouldn't have heard it. Way different then that he never should have said it.

Anyway there are enough ex-cricketers who can fill in as commentator.

Very similar to Ron atkinson on ITV a couple of years ago, he said it while it was off air in England but other places in the world heard it.

Dean Jones should be ashamed of himself.
How can you say anything like that in public.
He deserves any punishment he gets! :mad:

It's a shame that he would even think or say of something like that. The Ten Sports commentary just about lost all its meat, I feel. Everyone else is pretty boring to listen to.

very true. He was one of the very few entertaining commentators for Ten Sports.
Ramiz Raza and Sanjay are very very boring.

Only Ian Chappell, and Holding (?) are the decent commentators left.

Its surprising because he seems to be very close with the sub-continental players, and may be its something that came out unexpectedly. No excuses though.

He deserved it, it is the kind of thing you should keep in your mind.

Let's face it, Racial Prejudice is part of our Society. It's more a product of the society than an individual's flaw.
As long as an individual apologises and shows remorse for what he has said, he should be forgiven.
Ten Sports should have made Dean Jones apologise on Air and let him carry on. That would have been a better way to reprimand him.

cricket_lover said:
Ramiz Raza and Sanjay are very very boring.

Yeah! Rameez and Sanjay Manjrekar are bores indeed. Unfortunately, they are among the few ex-cricketers in India and Pakistan who have a decent English vocabulary.

It's hard for somebody to be witty and entertaining in a Second Language. At least when India plays Pakistan, the commentary should be in Urdu or Hindi, so that sub-continent players and commentators can express themselves better.

Drewska said:
Very similar to Ron atkinson on ITV a couple of years ago, he said it while it was off air in England but other places in the world heard it.

That was awful, the joke was when he tried to do a documentry last year at here at Swindon Town, when we had Iffy Onoura as manager(who I thought did a great job by the way), who is black. I give credit to Iffy, because, I would have wanted to punch him, well I still do even though I'm not black.

The comment made by Dean Jones is disgraceful and racist.

s2sschan said:
Let's face it, Racial Prejudice is part of our Society. It's more a product of the society than an individual's flaw.

It is unfortunate people have those prejudices. It's probably more of a problem in America. It is due to the media and people's lack of understanding. Oh I hate American news and its presentation style. ITV News over here is like that and it makes me cringe. However, it would be unfair to say, and I'm not saying you are, that everyone has those prejudices, because I certainly don't.

s2sschan said:
Yeah! Rameez and Sanjay Manjrekar are bores indeed. Unfortunately, they are among the few ex-cricketers in India and Pakistan who have a decent English vocabulary.

It's hard for somebody to be witty and entertaining in a Second Language. At least when India plays Pakistan, the commentary should be in Urdu or Hindi, so that sub-continent players and commentators can express themselves better.
hell no, hindi commentary is the last thing you want to hear.

"ballebaz ne geend dala" is much worse that Manjrekar commentary.

Its not about English vocabulary, its more about the accent. Indian/Pakistani's have a different accent and does not, usually suit commentary. Of course, there were/are exceptions but the two above aren't one.

I think it was a justifyable decision from Ten Sports. Racial prejudice comes from individuals, and creeps into a society. Society is made up of individuals.

Ten Sports didn't really have any power because with the (mostly extremist) political parties prevalent around the world, there would sound have been 'action' taken against them in terms of boycotts and whatnot. So they had to get rid of him.

As for Hindi commentators--that's a HUGE no-no. I have watched and hated Hindi commentary during the olympics, on radio and when ESPN-Star tried that Simulcast thing. And I don't think it is about accents, either. Sunil Gavaskar, Ravi Shastri and Navjot Singh Sidhu have Indian accents and are great commentators.

BTW Ten Sports just read out a huge letter from their CEO at the beginning of the broadcast today.

I dont care how entertaining Dean Jones is, but that kind of statement is completely unacceptable. He does talk non-sense on most occassions, so in the end its good for cricket that hes gone.

Users who are viewing this thread