Dec 16-20: 3rd Test - Australia v England at Perth

P

pcfan123

War is going to have a field day ..................

I hope this is not the moment England lost the Ashes

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Doubt it. I'm still certain England will retain the Ashes. They lost the 4th Test to make it 1-1 with 1 to play in 2009. This time they have 2 Tests to wrap up the series. IIRC a drawn series is all they need to keep the urn.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wow, that was pathetic.
Really shocker from the batsmen this match after putting up 600 and 500 in the previous ones. Thus is the state of cricket today, everyone plays on flat wickets and when you finally get one with some life in it, 300 is a good score.
Agreed. It's only the batsmen with quality techniques or great temperament who survive and prosper. Sachin in that first innings for India, Bell, Hussey (although Hussey did get a lot of short balls).

It's terrible really. We need more wickets with life in them. For all we know, guys like Tremlett, Anderson, Steyn, Morkel, Aamer, Asif, Zak, Harris, etc. would have been deadly had they played in another era, but aren't seen as that brilliant due to the flat pitches they play on most of the time.

Roofrom50

International Coach
Might go put some money on the draw for the boxing day test. One win all, 2 drawn matches.. it will come down to the Sydney test and the last couple of overs for of the 5th day to determine a winner

D

Dutch

Well aren't I glad I got up nice and early to watch the incredible England counter-strike lead my a valliant and circumspect Matt Prior and Ian Bell who's 250 run partenership laid the foundation for a....what....yes dear...talking in my sleep...sorry dear.....

Buttock-clenchingly piss-poor!

P

pcfan123

Wow, that was pathetic.

Agreed. It's only the batsmen with quality techniques or great temperament who survive and prosper. Sachin in that first innings for India, Bell, Hussey (although Hussey did get a lot of short balls).

It's terrible really. We need more wickets with life in them. For all we know, guys like Tremlett, Anderson, Steyn, Morkel, Aamer, Asif, Zak, Harris, etc. would have been deadly had they played in another era, but aren't seen as that brilliant due to the flat pitches they play on most of the time.

if they just made them uncovered wickets, that would alone even the contest and test the batsmen.

This kind of cricket is WAY more exciting.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My view of the 3rd test

ENGLAND:

Well damn. Interesting turnaround you could say:lol. But no panic yet really, as Strauss said in the interview they just have to back themselves to come back with an unchanged team.

Although deep down i feel AUS after this performance may be too much for England going forward.

As others have already mentioned. Big two test (or one since he could still be dropped if he fails @ MCG for Morgan if England are defeated) for Collingwood's career.

Missing Broad a bit...

AUSTRALIA:

Well i shall be humble & say i told you so all year on planetcricket to all those who i have had the pleasure of debating the legitmacy of Australia playing an all-pace attack. :D Bring Bollinger in for Sidvicious & the attack is perfect.

So hopefully calls for a spinner to play will die as of now.

If Ponting misses out due to finger not being right for the next test, although obviously Ferguson & Khawaja are the frontrunners to replace him. I think deep down the selectors may be regretting how they treated Brad Hodge, since he technically would be the best replacement.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Why not pick Khawaja and have him open with Hughes, then Watson bats at 3. Might make people feel better than having Usman and Clarke together at 3and 4..

Ah yes this is best temporary solution indeed. Hopefully the selectors see it this way.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
ENGLAND:

Well damn. Interesting turnaround you could say:lol. But no panic yet really, as Strauss said in the interview they just have to back themselves to come back with an unchanged team.

Although deep down i feel AUS after this performance may be too much for England going forward.

As others have already mentioned. Big two test (or one since he could still be dropped if he fails @ MCG for Morgan if England are defeated) for Collingwood's career.

Missing Broad a bit...

Agree. England are still technically ahead in this series, since Australia needs to win to retain the Ashes. You can't hack apart a team who's in front. Collingwood's will be feeling some heat, but that little bit of extra bowling and excellent fielding mean that he's worth carrying for an extra game.

Here's how I see it. If Colly fails at the MCG AND:
Australia win, then bring Bresnan/Monty in for Collingwood - England will have to win in Sydney so play the extra bowler.
Australia get the better of a draw - Morgan in.
England get the better of a draw/win - Keep Collingwood in.

AUSTRALIA:

Well i shall be humble & say i told you so all year on planetcricket to all those who i have had the pleasure of debating the legitmacy of Australia playing an all-pace attack. :D Bring Bollinger in for Sidvicious & the attack is perfect.

So hopefully calls for a spinner to play will die as of now.

Give us all our Tests at Perth on pitches like this and you've got a deal :p

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Just came home. Had the match DVRed. Just watched it. That was quick. I expect a better show from Bell and Prior.

Why are these sky commies so pissed/annoyed/shocked by the fact that Aus made fast paced track? Of all teams, I did not expect Eng players to crumble like this to bouncers like the Indians. It's their fault that they got destroyed, they should try to pass it onto Aus. They are all fuzzing about how CA is moving pitch, asking sky to move their cam over to the next pitch. Finally Andy Flower said something positive about this from the Eng side "if they are making lively track then we should encourage that"

I thought CA was following BCCI trend and started making flat pitches, just like many other countries. But I am glad that they opened their freaking eyes, and did what was best for them.

Hopefully this is a start of a new beginning. Countries around the world should start making more sporting pitch. For good cricket! There is no point in 500/2 and starchting the test 5 days w/o getting any result or exciting cricket. I would rather have a 3 day match with exciting cricket.

Biggy

Panel of Selectors
War is going to have a field day ..................

I hope this is not the moment England lost the Ashes

tbh the 4th seamer (Siddle) didn't do much besides get that flukey wicket of Prior.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
For all we know, guys like Tremlett, Anderson, Steyn, Morkel, Aamer, Asif, Zak, Harris, etc. would have been deadly had they played in another era, but aren't seen as that brilliant due to the flat pitches they play on most of the time.

And today's batsmen would have the balls to face up to the bouncers. I mean they have modernized kits and everything. Back in the day... *sigh*

McLOVIN added 4 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Somebody said something about dropping Watto down to #3? fling that. This guy is making 90s every time at where is batting atm. Why mess with that by sending a new kid and along with a poser?

- Watto with Usman to open. The poser @ 3. And then Clarke, Hussey...

Also get a spinner in.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
if they just made them uncovered wickets, that would alone even the contest and test the batsmen.

This kind of cricket is WAY more exciting.
Uncovered wickets wouldn't affect every game, because there usually isn't any rain. Maybe in some climates, you could expect a heavy dew, but dew doesn't form on a square of bare flat earth.

What covering the pitch does improve is the time lost to rain. At the best cricket grounds in the world, play can resume about half an hour after the rain stops (at the worst cricket grounds, they probably might as well be uncovered). In the uncovered days, you might lose a session in sunshine because the pitch was still too wet for play to resume. So while the pitches often did kick or rip after rain, you also needed to make up more for lost time.

Users who are viewing this thread