Dec 3-7: 2nd Test: Australia v England at the Adelaide Oval

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Nice write up. Right now North and Johnson are right on the chopping block. And wouldn't surprise me that both of them did something in the 2nd innings.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Adelaide suits pace more than it suits spin. It really is a misconception. Plenty of seamers have found something useful at Adelaide, but few spinners, even in the 4th innings. It's generally important for a result that the seamers do find something to work with, because it is such a good batting ground that the first two innings can linger on more than they should.

If there's grass on top, it can show bounce and swing on the first day, but it's a pitch that is built to dry out and wear. The dry and abrasive conditions make Adelaide the prime location in Australia for reverse swing. How dry, we'll just have to wait and see, because recently even Adelaide has seen rain this season. A green Adelaide wicket would be quite novel indeed.

The bounce becomes uneven late in the game and together with the long boundaries straight down the ground, the conditions really suit full, accurate bowling. Width is to be punished, but batsmen trying to make room to find the square boundaries can get themselves out.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The 4th and 5th day wickets have been known to crack and hence suit the seamers. The flatness of the wickets does bring the spinners into it though. The easy way for us to play two spinners is picking Smith over North, our other spinner option is Hauritz but I'd rather not have him replacing a quick.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The match against WI last year was a tight draw for us, because the batting collapsed in the 2nd innings. Our batsman really have to fire in this Test or we lost this one.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
190114226.jpg

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Selectors have a selection issue, because everyone is as average as each other. Quite depressing really.

If Katich and Clarke are out, this is my side.

Twatto
Hughes
Punter
Bailey
Hussey
Haddin
Smith
Doherty
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Or Doherty/Smith out for Khawaja.

Darrend1234

<A HREF=http://www.planetcricket.net/forums/showth
My main worry for England is Stuart Broad with the ball.
Anderson bowled beautifully in the first innings of Brisbane, Swann was bad, but hopefully he can regain his usual control and steady the Aussie batsmans flow of runs. Finn took 6-125, but the figures rather flattered him I thought.

Broad though, no wickets, no runs, boy does he need to pull something out of the bag in the 2nd innings (if given the chance that is)!

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Broad though, no wickets, no runs

Meh, Broad bowled decently. Would have probably got a few on another day and I wouldn't touch our team tis probably as strong as its going to get unlike the Australian one...

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Loved visiting the Adelaide Oval. The scoreboard in particular is incredible.
Here's the view from inside it:
Regarding the game probably a draw but who knows?

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 175

JD10

International Cricketer
Great write up mate. I think England team will stay the same. If we kept Bopara in the 2009 ashes we surely won't change anyone. As Gazza said the England camp seems settled no big media attenion for anybody. :thumbs

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
If we got injuries and one of them ain't North then hes going to be a given for this match :( Ideally with the doubts I would go

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Hussey
Haddin
Khawaja
Smith
Doherty/O'Keefe (It's a shame O'Keefe can't push his claim)
Harris
Hilfenhaus/Siddle
Bollinger

Can't decide between Hilf and Siddle, both should be the 3rd bowler but at present they are pretty much 1 and 2 which doesn't suit them one bit.

JonDogg

School Cricketer
Maybe they should play a South Australian in the Adelaide test, like Ferguson or even Peter George. I would love to see a South Aussie in the team, especially in Adelaide. I don't think North should be in the team.

The new western stand looks great.The hill and scoreboard always looks great. Now they want to get rid of the southern and eastern stands for the AFL to be played there in the future.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Khawaja seems to be next in line so George would be the best bet but Harris and Bollinger are in front of him.

Users who are viewing this thread