South Africa in Australia Dec 2008-Jan 2009

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pretty much agree although Hopes certainly wasn't the worst player out there. Managed to get 3 wickets and did alright with the bat. As I said though hes much better in the 5th bowling spot with a spinner taking the 4th bowling spot. Don't think Hauritz is the answer there seeing how easily SA took him apart, maybe a Heal or Krejza.

Yep I agree. I personally feel Hopes has to stay. With a fully fit team our bowling attack should look this this;

Lee
Bracken
Hilfy
Hopes
Krejza/Heal like you said

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Looks good to me, key for Lee is to be able to get that outswing that got us so many early wickets. He pace was usually in the low 140s when he was doing that so his current pace shouldn't be a problem for him.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Looks good to me, key for Lee is to be able to get that outswing that got us so many early wickets. He pace was usually in the low 140s when he was doing that so his current pace shouldn't be a problem for him.

Yep I agree. I personally feel Hopes has to stay. With a fully fit team our bowling attack should look this this;

Lee
Bracken
Hilfy
Hopes
Krejza/Heal like you said

Where is my Johny Boy and Tait :confused:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Tait could go in for Lee or Hilfy. Johnson well what can I say I haven't seen the reason why he has an ODI average of 25. Anyway all 3 will have time to push their claim with Lee not back for a while yet and that is assuming he can have the same impact as he did just over a year ago.

IloveGilly

News Team Member<br><a href="http://www.planetcric
Clark may be a consideration again. Although he hasn't really done that much spectacular in the ODI game, it seems there are interests of bringing him back. Have to see what happens against NZ before we can really determine who should and shouldn't be in that side. Can only really say that Bracken deserves to be there, and probably Hopes with his consistency as an All-Rounder. But definitely shouldn't be used as a 4th strike bowler like yesterday.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I don't know if he will be around for the WC, best to get guys that will be there as we don't want to be stuck in this situation again where we have tons of inexperienced players. Clark is solid in the ODI arena but if the batters want to attack him they usually are successful.

We definitely need a spinner as they always are a weapon. Tait needs a bit more fitness but he certainly has good control when going for the yorker and is a strike bowler.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
We don't need them when we have 4 bowlers capable of taking wickets and going at 3 an over instead of 5 or 6 an over.
The current state of affairs doesn't really indicate that. Hilfenhaus doesn't dominate on his good days and Bracken doesn't necessarily take a lot of wickets, just maintains the equations. Lee's recent form stands to be undone; I don't see his return as totally panacean. He will have to prove some things as much as any youngster.

Tait should definitely be ahead in the pecking order over Johnson, provided he's not hamstrung. His best is quite an onslaught and he showed in the World Cup that he can produce quite often. He's also not as one dimensional as Johnson in ODIs, who is quite useless at bowling yorkers. I've no problems with Tait dropping a little pace to ensure the job gets done, even the great West Indian quicks were open to it. 140-145 kph is not too slow to get wickets.

formula1man

International Cricketer
Tait was bowling 146 last year too. so he hasnt dropped off.

I think we shouldnt be leaving guys out just coz their not gonna be in the world cup. We should train 1 rookie at a time and phase the older players out slowly

Last edited:

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Yeah guys, thank tweaking god sarcasm comes out the way it does on the internet. :rolleyes:
You reap what you sow.

As to the topic, agree with almost all posts above. Was one of the best overall tours I've ever seen, and possibly the most historic, as it could mark the end of Aussie era, and the beginning of a new one, hopefully a more balanced one. And hopefully the top teams can match up to the high standards set by Australia at their peak.

Users who are viewing this thread