Sri Lanka in Australia Dec-Jan 2012/13

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Shocking knock by Bailey. Dussey making it look easy, definitely shouldn't be batting higher than 5 from now on. Fighting knock by Hughes, he is showing why he has such a high OD average.

And yet Hughes' knock could have been similarly awful. He was 20 off 47 when he snapped, tried to play that pull shot that wasn't really there and the ball rolled onto his stumps...but the bails didn't come off and he made the most of it. He knows how to go on with an innings Hughes, which has been a sorely missed skill in this Aussie ODI team.

Bailey struggled, but it was a pretty useful partnership for Aus - as Hughes and Bailey were able to see off the 2 main threats of SL: Kulasekara and Malinga, without any more damage.

Liked seeing Henriques bowling full and straight there at the end, he deserved those last couple of wickets. Unlike Johnson who doesn't really do so well in the death overs - he was pretty lucky that Mathews chunked that pull shot to mid-wicket. And I really don't like watching Doherty bowl, but he did the job last night, just enough deception to force the mishit.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
speaking of going on, it's becoming a persistent problem with mathews. I think sri lanka were probably out of touch by the point he left but yet again he throws away his wicket before the job's done. for a captain it's a bit of a worry.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Pretty painful from Voges. I can understand feeding Warner the strike, but the guy was clearly stuffed in those final few overs and Voges could still only manage singles. Someone like a Dave Hussey would've taken charge and put us past 150 easily.

Marsh's slow start was compounded with ridiculously running himself out, terrible all 'round.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
Wow unexpectedly the match is turned by Aussie spinners.Maxwell is bowling really well.SL are throwing it away after a brisk start

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Marsh really hasn't shown the big hitting that has made him famous at the top level. Both his ODI and T20I strike rates are appalling especially the T20 where there is a difference of almost 40.

Finch isn't as confident as he was when he first made his debut, form shouldn't be an issue given what he has shown this season

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Someone like a Dave Hussey would've taken charge and put us past 150 easily.
Convenient to say, but I can recall a lot of times where he played badly or dropped anchor and failed to get moving. In the last couple of years, he barely turned up at all. There was a beatup when he got dropped at the World T20, but it was justified.
Batting records | Twenty20 Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

It was a weird game for a few reasons. There was a serious lack of boundaries and only one guy in the whole game managed to smash the ball through midwicket. So it seemed really hard to hit across the line, probably because the bounce wasn't quite true, as Dilshan exemplified. But batsmen had to hit over the top somehow. Warner hit straight and got a few loose ones to put behind square, which is good value when the boundaries are shorter down the ground. Nevertheless, the straight hit is 70m, so a batsman does need some confidence to go at it.

I think Finch just played a shot and got out. It's not really bad cricket in T20 because we saw the bigger danger to the team is to spend too long at the crease without scoring.

With Marsh, as Warner said in the presser, he likes to get set and then go. The problem is that the more good fast bowling he has to face, the longer it takes. The wicket wasn't flat enough to blunt the new ball on its own and the quality of the quicks held up. Kula and Malinga bowled perfectly. To give Marsh a chance to do what he actually does well, he probably shouldn't bat up the order at all. Down the order is the only time he looks dangerous in ODIs.

The really funny thing about Voges' innings was that he managed to play Malinga and Kulasekera slightly better than Warner did; Warner instead capitalised on Perera and Mathews. He could also handle that sneaky Mendis. Starting against Mendis was a real problem for Voges, but he wouldn't be the first.

All in all, I think it apart from bowling and fielding, where they showed good skill, the Sri Lankans had a better plan to get boundaries, more inclined to loft while hitting through the line, even if not for too many sixes. The Australians would probably feel that it's not necessarily something that would always work at any Australian ground, that you've got to employ the big cow-corner slog to get the distance; although T20 boundaries are generally a long way in from the fence.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Other than a few single digit scores, which I'd rather someone get out early than scratch around for 20 odd halfway through a T20 anyway, there's only the two "anchor" innings amongst Hussey's that resemble Voges. The 25 off 27 when we chased down Saf and the 24 off 29 loss against India, when he came in after 3 overs as opposed to 9.

5 overs of nothing but singles from Voges before he managed a 2. Can't criticise him too much for feeding Warner the strike there and getting himself comfortable, but to continue doing it for the final 6 overs when Warner was obviously stuffed was abysmal.

Would have been a lot better off if he just got out swinging after his 9 off 13 with Wade, Maxwell, Cutting and Starc still to come. We sure wouldn't have finished 3/139 if Dave was in that spot.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
It's a double standard to dismiss the possibility by saying that it only happened a few times, because we're only talking about one game.

And indeed they did try to slog their way out of it, but they got dots and singles. They were missing the ball when they slogged. Hitting through the line was crucial to getting good contact on attacking strokes and with so many yorkers landing on the money, that part of the game was owned by Malinga and Kulasekera. Australia can't complain too much, because Doherty and Starc were equally as effective. The difference in the game was really the blokes who did get hit around, Mathews and Perera against Cutting and Laughlin. Thishara Perera had an amazing game compared to the other 3 and I'm sure the Australians will look to collar him up when they see him again.

In practice I also don't think it would have mattered if Voges had scored just a couple more runs, so I'm not really distinguishing between a strike rate of 86.2 and a strikerate of 109.25 when I say I've seen David Hussey play badly*. In context, Voges really needed to make about 40-50. Marsh could have changed the demands as well, but the point is that we'd still be having the same conversation if it was 30 from 29. Whether you feel as though David Hussey could have scored that, is up to you.

* Against England in the World T20 final he was only on 16 from 29 balls, so even though he hit started hitting at the end, it was a very bleak innings to watch. Yes there was an early collapse, but not scoring runs doesn't change a T20. Also, Mike Hussey was not out having faced 10 balls. Grrr.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Marsh looks like he's been hanging around with Herschelle Gibbs a bit too much over there at the Scorchers. Voges plays there too right? :spy

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Australia vs Srilanka

Test Series

Australia 3-0 Srilanka :)

ODI Series

Australia 2-2 Srilanka

T20 Series

Australia 0-2 Srilanka :(

Revenge of Test Series :(

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
This is why T20's should always be at the end of a tour - gives the team that's been thoroughly embarrassed in the tests a chance to cheer about something.

Even if the Lankans did try their hardest to have the game handed to them after a quick shower of rain, still good to see them not leave completely demoralised.

Too bad someone like a Maxwell wasn't given the opportunity to bat in the previous T20. Would've put us past 150 easily.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Expected series defeat. When you pick crap players like Laughin who is on of the worst players to represent australia in the last 20 years :facepalm, retain doherty, drop hussey & hogg, continuously ignore players like nannes, hodge & o'keefe - it should be no surprise at australia's ranking in world t20s.

Users who are viewing this thread