Sri Lanka in Australia Dec-Jan 2012/13

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Now the ship seem steadier.

I like the batting of Perera. Seems to have a lot class about him.

midgetwars

Club Captain
I'm absolutely lost for words.

The batting from both sides was rubbish. Stupid shots especially Sri Lanka where they could of just defended.

The fielding from Australia, wow. What to say. Absolute CRAP.
Warner took two awesome catches and drops a practically sitter.
Johnson misses a relatively simple run out.
Bailey drops a catch.
Clarke misses a catch.

I don't usually question Clarke's captaincy, but why the hell not bring Johnson on and that referral was to be fair, close. BUT THERE WAS NOTHING to lose.

This is on par with the 47 all out.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
If they had played perfectly in the field, they really could have won, which is not something you should say of a team defending 74. My feelings are mixed. I think it was an entertaining game and in some ways it's nice not to have the result looming for 30+ overs.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
shastri.png
"I must say and make no mistake about it folks, at the end of the day, India is the real winner."

You are damn right about that.

100 could have been a winning total I guess.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
aus probably could have won that had they not made a hash of it in the field, but 74 ended up flattering them, they were so poor at batting they didn't deserve to go past 50.

War

Chairman of Selectors
:facepalm JESUS CHRIST!!...In my lifetime of watching & supporting oz cricket i'd have to rank this day alongside:

- natwest series 2005 defeat vs zim
- 2002 c-trophy semi defeat vs sri
- vb series 2001/02
- c&b series 96/97
- the 47 all out vs s africa
- the 438 run chase vs s africa
- 4-0 odi series lost in england 2012
- 3-0 odi series lost in nz 2006/07
- most t20 world cup efforts

...as disgusting aus performances that i wish to never see again.

When AUS bats like this you can't help but think about the ashes going forward & say england will be licking their lips especially in home conditions & the propensity of aus bats to collapse like an asian side these days when the ball is moving.

Overall though this was aus best odi team in the absence of watson, however for the life of me i don't why the selectors keep picking doherty:facepalm. Didn't the pollard tonking in the t20 w-cup semi & a general poor 2012 show the selectors he is not good enough??

Unless your odi spinner is a guaranteed wicket-taker or can surely keep the scoring rate down like swann, vettori, hafeez, ajmal, ashwin, peterson, narine, sakib, herath - then its useless picking him. AUS in odi's are better of using hussey, maxwell, clarke the way india uses yuvraj & co & solely depend on the 3 main quicks & quick-bowling all-rounder like henriques, watson & m marsh (when fit) as their main source of wickets in odi's.

The selectors continue to get it wrong!

alexczarn

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
:facepalm JESUS CHRIST!!...In my lifetime of watching & supporting oz cricket i'd have to rank this day alongside:

- vb series 2001/02
- c&b series 96/97

When AUS bats like this you can't help but think about the ashes going forward & say england will be licking their lips especially in home conditions & the propensity of aus bats to collapse like an asian side these days when the ball is moving.

Overall though this was aus best odi team in the absence of watson, however for the life of me i don't why the selectors keep picking doherty:facepalm. Didn't the pollard tonking in the t20 w-cup semi & a general poor 2012 show the selectors he is not good enough??

Unless your odi spinner is a guaranteed wicket-taker or can surely keep the scoring rate down like swann, vettori, hafeez, ajmal, ashwin, peterson, narine, sakib, herath - then its useless picking him. AUS in odi's are better of using hussey, maxwell, clarke the way india uses yuvraj & co & solely depend on the 3 main quicks & quick-bowling all-rounder like henriques, watson & m marsh (when fit) as their main source of wickets in odi's.

Natwest was against Bangladesh.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Kulasekera has set the ball to max swing. The first baller to Bailey was just rude. If he'd played a shot he would have been safe, but you wouldn't instantly think to play a shot to a ball that is starting more than a foot outside off.

Kulasekara had the ball singing that's for sure. The ball to Dave Hussey showed it up well - he thought the ball looked wide enough to cut, but then it swung back in enough to hit closer to the handle than the middle of the bat - and that's after he adjusted! Brought to mind a spell of Sreesanth's (I think at Brisbane - 07/08) where he has the ball really talking, speed was mid 140s and he was basically unplayable. Kulasekara not quite that fast, but he bowled REALLY well yesterday, and well backed up by Malinga - if Malinga hadn't come on and hit the spot, the Aussies might have been able to get out of it.

So full credit to SL - definitely. I think those fans entirely blaming the batsmen need to go and watch the action again. The only batsmen I really blame for their wickets are Warner and Clarke, Warner less so because he was the first to go. Clarke's shot was rash at that point. But Bailey, Hussey and Henriques all got hooping balls that would trouble anyone. Hussey might have been able to let his go, but I'm nitpicking. Hughes got out defending to a great catch - hard to blame him for that. Wade I guess played a poorly executed shot, and Johnson probably should have known better than to try to work it through mid wicket.

But I honestly thought SL batted much worse than Aus, it's just that the SL bowlers had it on a string while Aussies couldn't get it exactly right. Commentators kept noting how Mckay was getting STACKS of plays and misses, and he did look threatening - but in the end he wasn't bowling full enough to get those edges. Dilshan and Thirrimane looked like they were trying to get out with some of their ridiculous batting :eek:

Biggy

Panel of Selectors

- vb series 2001/02
- c&b series 96/97

Yeah, I saw it live and couldn't believe what I was watching, even now I can't believe it. The crowd were cheering EVERY run. They cheered both batsmen reaching double figures and the biggest roar of all was when Australia managed to get to 50. A lot of chants of 'we want our money back!' too.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
I think the only reason Sri Lanka lost 6 wickets in making the runs last night cause they wanted to knock them off as quickly as possible so they could go out partying. Viva Bris Vegas

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Well that's obviously what Jayawardene and Dilshan were trying to do, but Thirimanne took 17 balls to get off the mark and even then should have been dismissed for less than his eventual 7. Mathews got a snorter from Johnson and Jeevan Mendis has shown several times that he can't handle bouncers. There was life in the wicket and their batting hinted at intent, but showed a lack of a plan. If someone had managed to produce a spell like Kulasekera's, they'd have been bowled out in 20 overs, no question.

Users who are viewing this thread