Sri Lanka in Australia Dec-Jan 2012/13

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^I really feel for Watson. Public scorn is beginning to rise back to former levels, the selectors aren't sure what role they want him to play, HE'S not sure of the role he wants to play, and injuries are lurking to cloud the issue. I just hope Watson's Test career is not sacrificed for Ed Cowan, a thoroughly average batsman who doesn't bring anything to the Aussie fielding/bowling. Watson's shown enough in the hot streak he had between 2009-2010/11 to deserve better treatment (19 Tests, opening and averaging 49.88 with bat, and 29 wickets @ 29.41 with the ball). Cowan hasn't shown that kind of potential at all in my opinion. It's Cowan who I'd be pushing down the order, trying to preserve Watson's batting confidence ie. Watson's the more valuable player, look after his needs and preferences first. Get Watson in form again and he'll be fine.

@Sifter, there is no way in the world that Wade has won the public over. Everyone knows that Wade's catching is bad. Thanks to various articles across the web.

Yeah true. Wade hasn't completely 'won the crowd', but I think he's on the way - more gushing praise from Channel 9 is on the horizon for sure. Give him a couple of good knocks in the ODIs and or T20s and the hype machine will be well and truly rolling. We'll hear much more about his running catch near the boundary at the MCG and his 100 with Bird at the other end than we will about his dropped chances or that Wade possibly didn't deserve the 100 if chances were taken.

Last edited:

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
153319.jpg

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Game 1
Australia 5 for 305 off their 50 overs

Phillip Hughes became the first Australian to make a centure on debut in a One Day International.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Great to see Hughes going well, deserved his shot in the ODI side, probably found our number 3 in the side now. Good stuff by Bailey as well and quite the knock by Dussey. The batting stocks in ODI suddenly look good.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Starc out at Adelaide with calf soreness; Richardson in. I guess that does not mean he will get a home debut, although I think he could safely outbowl Ben Cutting in limited overs on most days. Hopefully he gets a fair run in the nets and they make a judgement on ability rather than establishing a hierarchy.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Great to see Hughes going well, deserved his shot in the ODI side, probably found our number 3 in the side now. Good stuff by Bailey as well and quite the knock by Dussey. The batting stocks in ODI suddenly look good.

Bailey was impressive :yes Hughes should have a spot in future too. Best lineup in future would most likely be: Warner, Hughes, Watson, Clarke, Bailey, D.Hussey, Wade.

Haddin looked excellent with gloves, Wade should be feeling the heat.

With only 3 pace bowlers in the team, I'm VERY worried about the 20 overs of spin Australia need to get through every innings...every 2nd ball from the 3 spinners seemed to be short and wide, I lost count of the cut shots played off the spinners. Watson's presence is definitely missed more with the ball at the moment to give the team balance. I also wonder if the selectors are deliberately ignoring Mitchell Marsh due to his behaviour problems in the last few months. They talked about 2015 when the squad was announced, and with Watson out, this seemed the perfect series to give M.Marsh or Henriques a go. With only 4 fielders allowed out now, relying on 20 overs of questionable quality spin is what I'd call a poor strategy.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
If Henriques had continued his early season form then he would be perfect but it looks like he has gone back to his usual of showing promise but not delivering consistently.

That rotation policy sure is working a true! Nice to see Richardson getting a call up, our depth in fast bowling is amazing considering McDermott, NCN are also waiting in the wings.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Good match for Australia yesterday. Tomorrow should be interesting with one forced change. I think Sri Lanka will like the Adelaide wicket more, especially if they bat first.

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
I wish Dinesh Chandimal and Angelo Mathews should perform on consistent basis... :cheers

I don't get where is Shaun Marsh, Nathan Hauritz, Mitchell Marsh & Moises Henriques? They should have got opportunities here once again :facepalm

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Haddin has given Australia a chance but surely Sri Lanka's bowlers have done enough to win it from here.

Users who are viewing this thread