Sri Lanka in Australia Dec-Jan 2012/13

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Sydney had it's hottest day on record a couple of days ago. And the match is abandoned. :D

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah, quickly went from record high to cool, humid and apparently just enough rain to leave the outfield sodden for 3 hours.

War

Chairman of Selectors
This is the second time in the last few months that Dussey has been worked over by a bouncer tactic in an limited overs match. Ravi Rampaul did it to him in the t20 w-cup semi-final & malinga last night.

I was a big fan of him getting a test spot in the vacated # 6 spot, but that technical flaw has just about shut the door on his test chances for me.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
There has been talk that was the reason he hasn't been picked in the Test side. His lack of footwork to the moving ball didn't look good either.

T20 side named, Laughlin back in there probably the selectors way of looking for our own Kulasekara. Would have taken Pomersbach over Voges but other than that looks an alright side.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Voges played 6 innings of 30+ with a strike rate of 140 or better; 1 game where he really failed to do his job, so although a relative quiet achiever, his form has been exceptional. As limitless as Pomersbach was when he was going well, he wasn't consistent. In fact I would say he was only valuable in the 3 innings where he made 50+. His other innings forced the rest of the team to work harder.

Given that he wouldn't get a top 3 spot, it's not about whether he could produce 100, because he wouldn't get the opportunity. It's about the consistency in the role and the options for that were either Voges or Rohrer. Depending how you look at it, Rohrer might even have been better. He didn't deliver as many of those quick scores like Voges, but he never finished an innings with a strike rate lower than 120. Those players that are comfortable at the crease early on are worth so much, especially late in the game.

War

Chairman of Selectors
There has been talk that was the reason he hasn't been picked in the Test side. His lack of footwork to the moving ball didn't look good either.

T20 side named, Laughlin back in there probably the selectors way of looking for our own Kulasekara. Would have taken Pomersbach over Voges but other than that looks an alright side.

Ye his footwork how he backs away at times, probably makes him a bit too vulnerable in tests. But i see Brad Hodge has put his hand up for a potential test recall now Australia Cricket News: Brad Hodge ponders Ashes bid | ESPN Cricinfo - the selectors should jump all over this man. We all know his test career was a case of unfortunate circumstances when he should have played more tests - to think the marcus north played around 25 & hodge played so little still disgusts me :facepalm

On the T20 squad, well i have been resigned to the fact that australia normally pick crap t20s teams & some of the selectors in this squad continues this trend.

Ben Laughin took wickets yea, but i can't say i was impressed. Still looks like the same joke quick that was picked to tour south africa in 2009. Why did the selectors feel the need to pick him is my question. Nannes is forever around, johnson, hell even hastings & christian as seam-bowling all-rounders that would give the team more depth, which is a very useful facet in t20s.

Where is Henriques, team lacking proper all-rounder replacement in watson's absence.

Why was Brad Hogg dropped? Wasn't george bailey saying after the t20 world-cup that the team needs a mystery spinner? World Twenty20 2012 : George Bailey wants a new type of spinner in Australia | Cricket News | ICC World Twenty20 2012 | ESPN Cricinfo

Hogg is the closest thing australia have to the ajmal, narine, ashwin, mendis type bowlers of this world & bowled well in the BBL again & yet we pick the dud spinner in the format that pollard almost killed in the t20 semi-final :lol:facepalm

And what's this crap reasoning for dropping hussey i'm hearing; "As for Hussey, Inverarity stated that he had been left out for a younger player in Glenn Maxwell, as was the case for much of the World T20. "It was a toss-up in September at the World T20 and Glenn was preferred to David in all games but the semi-final at the end," Inverarity said. "When it's very close we always go for the younger player."

What foolishness is that. Hussey axing during the t20 world-cup was a simple selection blunder, both him & maxwell should have been playing if inverarity see's that as just a toss-up between youth and older player - this is extremely troubling.

Once more the plans, preparations & squad selection for another world t20 tournament is off to a bad start.

A proper AUS T20 team once all are fit would be:

Watson, Warner, Bailey, Hodge, Hussey, Wade, Maxwell, Henriques, Hogg, Harris, Nannes. back-ups: Marsh/Finch, M Marsh, Johnson, Starc.

Such a team would be very strong - but the selectors keep selling the talent in the t20 ranks in the country short with these crap selection.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
This is the second time in the last few months that Dussey has been worked over by a bouncer tactic in an limited overs match. Ravi Rampaul did it to him in the t20 w-cup semi-final & malinga last night.

I was a big fan of him getting a test spot in the vacated # 6 spot, but that technical flaw has just about shut the door on his test chances for me.

Agree. And I don't see how Hussey can bat at #4 in ODIs now with 2 new balls going - if he comes in after 2 quick wickets, he won't be up to it against good pace bowling. I think he can be a finisher in ODIs, but then I ask why should we pick a 35 year old dude at #6 just to hide these technical problems? And a 35 year old, who has had quite a patchy 12 months. I think we turf Dave Hussey after this summer, bet the farm on Maxwell or White or Steve Smith being able to do his job. Maybe even Finch who's shown he can bowl a few overs of late.

Putting Dave Hussey up against the English attack for the Ashes where the bowling will be just as good would be...ambitious on what he's currently showing. I could see him in an Indian tour for Tests, he'd do better there I think.

I also ask myself, how the hell has Hussey scored all these runs over his career? Just cashing in on weak county and Shield attacks? Looking it up...Hussey averages 45.5 for Victoria in Shield, but almost 65 for Notts in county stuff. His best FC averages on Aussie grounds are the MCG: 50.47, and Sydney 54.00 - 2 of the grounds that favour pace bowling the least.

But again...Aussie fans love introspection and navel gazing, but I need to give props to Kulasekara and Malinga again. Top notch bowling from those 2 guys.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I always felt sorry for Cameron White. He had that series against England where he batted at 3 and looked really good, then never got a go there again, seemed a bit strange at the time when you had an ageing side.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Beer Snake! :thumbs

Last edited by a moderator:

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
I would love to see if AUS give a chance to Steve Smith tomorrow. And also last chance to Henriques :D

As Clarke is not there, again Bailey would be skipper :rolleyes

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Henriques has been pretty bloody unlucky. Ball of the series from Kulasekara to dismiss him in the third ODI, terrible decision in the fourth and hasn't had a chance to redeem himself with the ball.

Still don't have the time of day for White since the 50 over world cup. Seems to be the main guy, besides Bailey, that's screwed Dave Hussey out of his spot at both world cups too.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Shocking knock by Bailey. Dussey making it look easy, definitely shouldn't be batting higher than 5 from now on. Fighting knock by Hughes, he is showing why he has such a high OD average.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Henriques has been pretty bloody unlucky. Ball of the series from Kulasekara to dismiss him in the third ODI, terrible decision in the fourth and hasn't had a chance to redeem himself with the ball.

Still don't have the time of day for White since the 50 over world cup. Seems to be the main guy, besides Bailey, that's screwed Dave Hussey out of his spot at both world cups too.

Very true on Henriques & Dussey. Moises was unlucky with the bat, but impressed with the ball. Don't know why he is not in the t20 team.

Hussey too has indeed been screwed out of his place in the last two world cup squads by some real dumb decision. Clearly & disappointingly the selectors have not valued his presence in the team & the reasoning inverarity gave for axing him from the t20 team was nothing short of folly.

This selection panel lead by mr inverarity after a bright start are starting to make decisions across all formats that are worryingly reminiscent of the hilditch era.

Overall though, just like test series this was a scratchy series performance & they were lucky to draw it. While the test team is still a work in progress, the odi team imo should be more solid - but more selection prevents this from being a reality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread