Sri Lanka in Australia Dec-Jan 2012/13

fros23

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Phil Hughes proving that he is better keeper than Wade:lol

crazyrahul

Club Cricketer
I knew Phil Hughes would be one-match hero, I would like to see Khwaja more in coming ODIs... I didn't get why Mitch was dropped today??? :rolleyes

Well bowled by Lasith, Thisara, Mathews and Nuwan :clap

Still I want to see Chandimal, though Thrimanne was hero today. :thumbs

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Mitch was dropped because of injury, some small strain that they wanted to manage. He'll be fine for next game.

Phil Hughes proving that he is better keeper than Wade:lol

And Channel Nine showing again that they do no research at all :noway None of the commentators knew Hughes' history of keeping wicket as a junior, they talked like he wouldn't know which end of the glove to use...

And yeah he was pretty good. Took everything that went past the edge. Moved pretty well. I think Hughes should do more keeping, maybe even permanently replace Wade in T20Is, just to keep Wade fresh for the other 2 formats (or whoever #1 keeper will be in future...)

Smith for Khawaja is this because he was dropped or rotated?

Arthur said they'd already agreed after the squad was picked for those two to play one match each. They seem the most likely to be replaced by Clarke and Warner. Thought Smith landed his leggies pretty well last night :thumbs

I thought Aussies let SL milk too many easy runs in that middle section I think. Doherty came on and immediately 4 guys were back on the fence. I would have liked to see Bailey force the SL batters to hit more boundaries to win the match.

And poor Kane Richardson, a match to forget. First ball duck with the bat. Then ran on the pitch 3 times and got dismissed from the bowling attack by the umpires. He's got a really bad action for that, and I'm amazed that he got to this level without someone spotting that problem - or at least enforcing the rules enough to make him change.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Selectors certainly are giving players some exposure for the next WC and looking at some options for India. Over to Henriques but always hard to do something in a 1 or 2 games especially batting at 6 or 7 where he will be.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Henriques coming in is a clear admission of oversight on the part of the selectors. 20 overs of spin is too much for an Australian bowling team, especially at home.

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
While most of us here are discussing about rotation policy opted for by NSP and giving different players opportunity at international level in the Aussie home summer, the thing that rankles me is the schedule this particular summer. :mad

It's only last season that Australia hosted India & SL for CB tri-series, why have they shunned it this time around ? What kind of context does it bring to fans by replacing tri-series with 2 back-to-back bi-lateral series ? CA has been yo-yoing about limited overs fixture since last few seasons. After 2007-08: CB series with AUS-IND-SL, there have been 3 bi-lateral ODI series with SA, Pakistan and the West-Indies in between before CB tri-series returned again in 2011-12 home summer.

I understand the tournament getting more lucrative with participation of India, but tri-series have been such proud tradition in Australian home summer ever since World Series Cricket that it's sad not to see one these days.And there have been successful tri-series held in past without participation of India, particularly in late-90's and early 20's. Instead of having 2 5-match ODI series, my suggestion would be to play tri-series among AUS-SL-WI with 2 match for each team in round-robin format (instead of the regular 4-match) with best-of-3 finals. So instead of 10 meaningless ODIs, fans will get 11/12 ODIs which have a semblance of context with a trophy to play for. And if you want T20 cricket, you can easily opt for 2 match T20 series with SL before start of tri-series with a couple with WI after the finals. This schedule can be packed within the same timeframe before Australia embark on test tour of India this year.

At a time when question mark hangs on ODI format, I think it's time we give it the context it deserves so as to prolong its stay at international level. And every cricket fan worth his salt would agree that Australia home summer tri-series gets much attention in international cricket calender every year. 2,3 years or may be 8,10 years down the line, everyone will remember a test series score-line for a particular series, but nobody remembers a bi-lateral ODI score-line. So it's the context that brings recall value and CB tri-series would have given a well-deserved context, even so with next 50-over WC being held in AUS-NZ in 2015.

Let's just give the fan something to enjoy & remember the game by!!!

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^You kind of answered your own question. India's involvement is the one variable that changes everything. It means much more cash for the TV rights, and if Cricket Australia can sell 11 potential games with India involved (4 vs Aus, 4 vs 3rd team, maybe 3 finals), it's much better money-wise than just a straight 5 game series.

But in years when India isn't here, there isn't the financial incentive to do a tri-series, and Cricket Australia found that fans were getting bored with a long tri-series dragging on, despite the introduction of things like bonus points to try and make games more interesting.

Personally, I think it's ODI overkill whichever way they pick. I think 2 x 3 ODI series against 2 different teams would be great, or a tri-series where everyone plays each other 2-3 times and then a final series.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Toss is done and won, Australia are batting.

Warner, Wade and Clarke are back. Henriques is playing too. Much better looking side, in talent and balance. Let it go on the record BEFORE the innings, but I think #3 is Clarke's best spot in ODIs. That spot in the innings lets him pick the bigger gaps in the field early and attack the spinners with footwork when they first come on. When Watson eventually comes back to open in place of either Warner/Hughes that will be perfect top 3 in my book.

For SL, Eranga is in for Mendis. So plenty of pace for them, Dilshan and J.Mendis the only spin.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Kulasekera has set the ball to max swing. The first baller to Bailey was just rude. If he'd played a shot he would have been safe, but you wouldn't instantly think to play a shot to a ball that is starting more than a foot outside off.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Kulasekara is absolutely putting on lesson.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Geez that was one to Henriques moved a mile. Moving ball is getting us once again, going to be fun times in England...

VC the slogger

PlanetCricket Forever
India
AFG...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Never imagined that a medium-fast guy like Kulasekara could run through a lineup like that. Very ordinary batting by the top 7. They should learn a thing or two from Starc and Doherty :p.

----------

Well at least Starc and Doherty managed to take Australia past their lowest ever ODI total. That's some consolation.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
14 wickets for the session.

----------

Hmm...

Who will win the game for either team?
shastri.png
"I must say and make no mistake about it folks, at the end of the day, India is the real winner."

Users who are viewing this thread