Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Ummm guys...how do you check the confidence level of batsmen during the game?

Well my decision to hold out for the PC version lasted exactly one day. My will power stat is quite low.

Anyway, first impressions are good. The 6 year old boy even had a bit of fun - although I'd rather try to explain how babies are made than the rules of cricket to a 6 year old.

I think I'm going to spend a hell of a lot more time in the nets and match practice. I've decided to go straight to veteran difficulty. First match I was 3/1 dec. and they were 0/4 off 0.1 ;)

I think it's important for people to learn how you must manage your play in the game (not just the controls). I think people are expecting to play only the way they believe is right rather than figuring out the most effective way as per the design of the game.

Yeah i reckon starting and practicing on veteran is probably a smart thing to do especially with the bowling. The quicker you learn how to bowl with out the bowling assist hub the better of it will be in the long run i think.

Been practising bowling without the hub for the last 2 hours, definitely not the easiest thing to get used to but hopefully it becomes a little easier after some time.

----------

Last edited:
It's not reasonable to assert this.

HBK and Mike are here to find out what people like, what they don't, and also scout for bugs. That, and to help people out with issues.

I have said we will patch, fix, and add features where we can, I can offer no more than that and think our service second to none. We already have a submission underway based on feedback from here regarding career mode and are leaning on people to get it out ASAP.

The game is full of stuff from here. Whenever have you had that kind of demonstrable influence over a game?

The game's good, together we are going to make it great.
You the best Ross when if the best game I didn't play yet my one on way but I can smell it this game rock

Okay just a few more awesome moments:
1) Played an ondrive of a spinner, mistimed it thus it hit the shoulder of silly point on full and lobbed towards bowler who took a diving catch. Such a random but incredible dismissal. Unreal. Its a shame that it was in a online match thus no interactive replay :(

2) Try pulling out of delivery stride 3 times consecutively in a over and see the crowd reaction. They will boo you. :clap

----------

It's not reasonable to assert this.

HBK and Mike are here to find out what people like, what they don't, and also scout for bugs. That, and to help people out with issues.

I have said we will patch, fix, and add features where we can, I can offer no more than that and think our service second to none. We already have a submission underway based on feedback from here regarding career mode and are leaning on people to get it out ASAP.

The game is full of stuff from here. Whenever have you had that kind of demonstrable influence over a game?

The game's good, together we are going to make it great.

Its really good to see a developer living up to his word. You said it before that you would take feedback to fix the bugs as soon aspossible and you are indeed doing that. There are a lot of big developers who just ignores fans feedback post release as their priorities lie elsewhere ( Take Batman Arkham Origins, people were reporting a lot of bug but WB Games was busy pushing the next DLC out :facepalm ). Its great to hear that one patch is already under submission. Can you lets us know what all is included in this version?
I assume the following fixes, correct me if I'm wrong:

1) Career mode linking problem.
2) Runout bug
3) Career mode patch to include more countries apart from just English and Aussie domestic.
4) Superhuman fielder aim.

----------

Ross! Can we have a option to link our account to youtube and upload the videos directly from the interactive replay option? No fancy editing stuff like GTA, just a play and simple replay video.

ROSS, Is it possible to get the upload to youtube option in ps3 at least? Or is it a both or none thingy for you guys?

Here goes my first and last match at amature difficulty.:lol score 474/6 in 28 overs then simulated and got allout at 521 in 41 overs. Australia scored 143 all out on my poor bowling.;)

anyways I also started my career as bowling allrounder who bats at number 7. Till now 1 match 4 wickets and 34 runs in first innings. Did not get chance to bat in 2nd inning as my team won it.:cheers
Awsome game.

Attachments

• 20140405_024220.jpg
    20140405_024220.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I would also request ramping up diificulty level for bowling, or make the AI batting a lot more solid. The more gameplay videos I see, the more it's apparent that bowling out AI cheaply is not that big a deal. It seems the only way for AI to put up a big score is to simulate the AI innings coz if you bowl to AI, they will get out cheap.

Finally got to play the game for a little while (Played 3 matches....all on PRO level with all HUD assists off except the ball trail :p) and here is how it went:

First off....the game is as awesome as you could have imagined. Im really really really impressed :).

First match I played a 5 over game on Pro level with all hud assists off. Got totally nailed by the AI (bowled out for 29 runs I think it was) but had some awesome moments in those 5 overs itself some of which are:

i) A Quick Single by half-pressing the defense trigger (I think some people wanted to see this):

ii) Lived upto my reputation :P (I think all have already seen enough of this):

iii) Two Consecutive Sixes off Ross Symons (This really made my day..specially since this was in my very first match in the game :P):

Next match was a T20 match between India and Pakistan. Again on Pro level with all HUD assists off (though I had to switch on the ball trail after 5 overs as it was impossible to see the ball after hitting it to the outfield).Now... Even though I lost the match badly I still think I played pretty well seeing that it was just my second match. Here is the scorecard:

py9aduge.jpg

*The scores are not displayed as I messed up when taking the pic. Pakistan had scored 171 runs while I got bowled out for 107!

I was bowled out for 107 in 16 overs but it was mainly due to the top order getting out cheaply as I had no idea about batting in this game. I was 35-7 after which I actually started to get a hang of the controls, reading deliveries off a bowling action instead of a bowling machine etc. and then managed to add 72 runs with the last 3 wickets in about 9 overs.

The game is super fun and really makes you think on your feet. Also you have to premeditate at times what the bowler might do and then stick to your decision positively (ie be decisive in your shots all the time).

Finally had my third game where again I lost (did I mention that I just cannot bowl in this game?? So far am just using the simulator when its my turn to bowl) however it was again a big improvement in my batting. To people saying batting is tough on PRO level....well its not!! If I can score 149 runs in twenty overs in only my third game (that too without assists) then batting can surely not be tough on this difficulty level. I just hope I can learn bowling soon enough and then maybe I can start to win some matches on PRO level (simulating bowling always seem to give me a target of 170+) before I move onto Veteran. Here is the scorecard (and a video of Kohli making a half century....my first in this game) from that match:

Here is the Fifty celebration from Virat:

Here is the scorecard of the match:

7avu4yne.jpg

4agehadu.jpg

mysu9y5y.jpg

Btw, did I mention that the mechanism in place for looking around the field is absolutely AWESOME!!! Initially in the first two games it felt odd and infact I had stopped looking around the field after the first two tries. But once I started getting a grip on batting, looking around the field came very naturally to me. I dont think BigAnt -should ever bring in a field HUD or mini-map. They do need to add a way to be able to view the fielders in the deep though as they do get mixed up in the crowd sometimes (I think they confirmed something would be patched in for it).

A few points I think should be looked into:

a) The runout bug at non strikers is definitely an issue as the non-striker takes his own sweet time to get in
B) Fielders' speed definitely needs to be reduced specially if they are gonna continue to take catches flying in the air.
c) Fielders hitting the stumps every single time from the boundary. ...this needs to be stopped
d) Camera angle change from close batting to fielding should be a little quicker. As of now its very delayed!
e) The super human bowlers need to be toned down with respect to their fielding. Make it a little random atleast. Right now they stop everything and anything

Overall. ...it's really a beautiful game. I mean subtle things like if you need to hit the ball towards mid wicket you actually need to play the ball earlier than you would to hit behind square....all such things really makes this game all about skill!!!

IVG review gave this game a 9 and I totally agree with it. There are faults in the game but none of them are game breaking and are all but just minor tweaks. That's how good this game is.

Btw I haven been bowling yet. I find bowling much much more difficult than batting at the moment as I haven really grasped the control layout for it. Right now I am gonna just focus on my batting in the game and then move onto bowling. Hopefully soon enough I would be able to do both :p!

Last edited by a moderator:
The quick single is lovely, but even if you know how to play it the superhuman fielders make it too risky.

e) The super human bowlers need to be toned down with respect to their fielding. Make it a little random atleast. Right now they stop everything and anything

After having played all night (Haha, not popular around the house this morning) I would actually push this up a little higher on the to-do list. Regularly fast bowlers follow through right down to the batsman, and it's not a "design/aggression" thing as far as I can tell as there's no animation to back it up, it's just a HUGE follow through and it's often right down the middle of the pitch, haha!

Great thoughts though, these are all really minor issues being picked up by people.

The quick single is lovely, but even if you know how to play it the superhuman fielders make it too risky.

If they fixed the very strange AI field in test mates then say they have few slips and no cover a easy single right there.

I also have done this once(AI 2 times now) but it's not easy as a easy runout is on the cards if you get it wrong.

PS I got a AI runout when they tried this.

Last edited:
After having played all night (Haha, not popular around the house this morning) I would actually push this up a little higher on the to-do list. Regularly fast bowlers follow through right down to the batsman, and it's not a "design/aggression" thing as far as I can tell as there's no animation to back it up, it's just a HUGE follow through and it's often right down the middle of the pitch, haha!

Great thoughts though, these are all really minor issues being picked up by people.

Biggs, did you manage to play a Test match yet? If yes, do the AI batsmen pile up big runs or is it relatively easy to bundle them for lowish totals?

I started one, but I had the difficult setting to high, got bundled out for about 80 runs and played a few overs but ended up simulating the rest of the innings to see what happened. AI put on about 350+ in their first innings, then I got rolled again for 100 so again, the failure was really on my skill level rather than the AI. Since the pitch was perfect for batting, it's about fine for a test match. I just need to be patient with the difficulty level because I'm really struggling with "Pro" at the moment, there's a real step-up batting and bowling wise to the "Pro" setting for me so I'm not quite ready for it, heh.

----------

Oh, question for @MattW or @BigAntStudios since I haven't been able to find it, there doesn't seem to be an option to see a batsman confidence level in either a "quick match" or "Career" mode. You can get that menu when you're bowling, but I can't see it when I'm batting against the AI. Same thing goes for the fatigue information? It also would be neat to bring up a pop-up info-box on the current batsman career stats. Just a short list of say, total runs, 50's, 100's, strike rate, average... having that sort of stuff quickly accessible would be really useful.

I started one, but I had the difficult setting to high, got bundled out for about 80 runs and played a few overs but ended up simulating the rest of the innings to see what happened. AI put on about 350+ in their first innings, then I got rolled again for 100 so again, the failure was really on my skill level rather than the AI. Since the pitch was perfect for batting, it's about fine for a test match. I just need to be patient with the difficulty level because I'm really struggling with "Pro" at the moment, there's a real step-up batting and bowling wise to the "Pro" setting for me so I'm not quite ready for it, heh.

Try bowling first to AI on PRO and see how much they score. It seems AI puts up a decent total when you simulate the innings/match but doesn't do so well when you bowl to them. If that's the case would be great for this to be patched along with "Career mode" & "superhuman fielders" bugs.

I got the AI bowler to drop like 5 catches in a single inns. I would also put wicket keeper down a lot with there catches and AI fields and AI pattern bowling.

PS Also has anyone had rain in a casual game.:spy

Also a babies:rolleyes(amateur career mode for the fun member who think the batting is to hard on pro.

----------

Biggs right on the D pad mate.

Users who are viewing this thread