Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

trolling at its finest.

----------

how long have you played and what difficulty?

ok so ive been playing on pro, slowly getting the hang of batting, its a good art, i get what you are saying about the bowling i did it myself just last night, but without the hud i jut dont know how ill go TBH ive been playing the game since it hit the street inbetween my hectic work life, im only just now comming to understand batting, i have my own little technic that i use but it takes concentration and time i hit 38 last night off 56 deliveries then on came a slower bowler/spinner and i relaxed too much lost my wicket to a bad shot selection out caught behind, i find bowler very easy destroying a teams second innings 7 for 26 so i do understand your point. but easy way around is to take off the hud and see how you go.

So I feel like the AI field placings in first class games could certainly do with a tweak. I'm not sure if balancing is the reason behind the current state, but having a long on and long off in the first over definintely doesn't feel right

So, I played the game yesterday for 12 hours straight with my brother in 2p-offline mode with a couple of stops for food and stuff.

My overall feeling is pretty great. Loving the game so far.

@Bowling:
The good:
1- PLENTY of variations. There are so many that the first time you learn about them, you just can't decide on which one to bowl. It took me a while to resist the temptation to bowl a different delivery every ball and instead stick to a plan.
2- Pace variations are fun. You can bowl slower bouncers as well as fast yorkers. They come pretty handy when setting up a batsman.
3- The length controls are pretty neat as full length delivery doesn't always mean this certain length. It just means 'full' and how 'full' can be decided by you using the R stick as you jump. Brilliant!

The bad:
Not sure I've disliked anything about bowling in the game yet.

@Batting:
The good:
1- It's tough to master.
2- It's satisfying when you get it right.
3- You loose concentration; you loose wicket. You just can't take anything for granted because of the variety available to the bowler.
4- Much like real-life as I can't pick the length there as I can't here.

The bad:
1- Almost impossible to see where the fielders are. There HAS to be a fielding map. This is more or less a deal-breaker for me.
2- Batsmen coming to a complete halt right before they're supposed to ground the bat SUCKS!
3- I'm unable to connect deliveries much outside off-stump even with different foot-movements. Not sure what am I missing there.

@AI:
Played only a couple of games against AI so haven't formed an opinion of it yet except that I couldn't beat it.

After another day of playing the game, these are what sticks out:

The Good:
1. The bowling is fantastic in this game, this has blown every other cricket game every made out of the water. A great job.
2. There is a depth and challenge to batting that has been lacking for a long time in a cricket game as well
3. Not to mention the much better fielding system
4. Overall the game isn't just solid, it is a damn revolution

The bad:
1. Players being told to go back from a run tend to just saunter, rather than throw their bat back over the line, leading to completely unneeded run outs. Players after a dive sometimes leave the crease in the animation, and I've had a player run out because of this. Very annoying and something that really needs to be addressed.
2. The AI seems a bit too willing to give away wickets to run outs when you get them underpressure. Seeing it sometimes is good, brilliant in fact, but 3-4 run outs in an innings just because you've got them under a bit of pressure is a bit much.
3. The AI tends to be a bit leg side happy bowling wise. They do vary it a bit, but tend to really favour the leg side, and when it isn't working for them (run rates in excess of 6 in first class matches almost entirely from playing off my leg stump) they just continue on their merry way.
4. Fielders are also a bit accurate with direct hits. There's little risk to always going for them as well. A reduction in the accuracy might be worth looking into.
5. The fielders also love smashing the stumps needlessly, as in powering the ball from a few feet away into them when the batsmen never attempted a run (taking the stumps right out of the ground) and commonly taking the bails off for seemingly no reason. Entirely cosmetic, but it does look a bit odd.
6. The lack of having split difficulties between the different part of the game can make it hard to get into it as well. At this point I'm far far better at bowling then batting. I can muster maybe 150+ odd now in pro mode, but can quite comfortably get the AI out 50-90 odd on pro. Preferably I'd bat on pro and bowl on veteran, but at this time I don't have that option. Having split difficulties for fielders as well might be worth a look too.

Overall though the issues are well and truly outweighed by the positives. Amazing game.

Don't premeditate foot work

That's interesting. In nets I always premeditate the foot work. If I don't I end up getting a late timing and never ideal. Does this mean that the mechanics change during career mode or is it just that the nets are not an accurate/exact representation of batting in the full game?

That's interesting. In nets I always premeditate the foot work. If I don't I end up getting a late timing and never ideal. Does this mean that the mechanics change during career mode or is it just that the nets are not an accurate/exact representation of batting in the full game?

I think that the issue is the early, ideal (to some degree a misleading word), late do not equate to bad, good, bad - it is reasonable to go early or late depending on the ball/shot selection.

plzz help how to selet 3 players and how to be in same team

Plzzz... some one help. I have just bought the game yesterday. I ma unable yet to find out that how more than 2 players i.e. 3 or 4 players can play this game. Neither i am finding how to be in same team while 2 players are playing. Plz help. Thanks

. I ma unable yet to find out that how more than 2 players i.e. 3 or 4 players can play this game. Neither i am finding how to be in same team while 2 players are playing.
as of now only 2 player multiplayer is possible, 3 or 4 player is not going to be available in near future as said by ross/

2 player co-op will be available in a patch in near future.:)

Really enjoying the fact that this game will make you practice a lot before you can be good at any of the disciplines at a reasonable level of difficulty.

Have spent over an hour just practicing bowling (Veteran difficulty). Starting to get the hang of fast bowling ? just the jump and release of the ball and a bit of swing. Nothing too fancy yet. Spin bowling just freaks me out though! I just don't have the right thought processes to do it well compared to fast bowling.

Loving the attention to detail in the game mechanics. Being able to bowl from tight to the stumps, wide of the crease, shine the ball, over-pitch, bowl short, adjust the amount of swing, etc. Even spin bowling is awesome how you can adjust the amount of spin, flight, dip, etc. you put on the ball and it's all analogous ? the amounts can all be varied bit by bit based on how you hold the left stick.

I bowled a few out-swingers on off to the AI which hit them and then snuck in another out-swinger but bowled it from closer to the stumps, but on the same spot which created more of an angle away from the bat and the AI obliged by nicking to first slip. Wow.

I'm planning on playing career as a bowler and not even worrying about batting. I couldn't imagine even thinking about doing this is any other cricket game.

I just can't seem to figure out batting. Today I decided another approach after failing miserabely at quickly adjusting to front and backfoot. I have decided to play off front foot only. That way I can also pull and cut the ball. These shots are available off front foot as well which just speaks volumes of depth of this game. So far I have not been able to score a hundred in (team total) in a causal ODI. I survive for twenty over or so. I hope I improve in this area.

Pro tip - try the orbit camera in the replay mode - you can see so many little details of the stadiums with it. Or things like this:
p5hrtd7.jpg

Literally just discovered orbit camera about 10mins ago! Also try the "latch" camer or whatever it's called that locks on to a particular players shoulder or head. Kinda cool...

How do you go back a ball, or a couple of deliveries with the replay camera though? Haven't figured that one out yet...

Also just finished my first online game against some random dude, paced my innings well and formed a great partnership at the end between A.Biggs and M.Whitehorn ...77 odd runs in 10 overs and rolled the opponent out with 17 runs to spare. A lot of the HUD stuff gets removed in online multiplayer, which makes it pretty tough. Good match though.

I still struggle with bowling, can only seem to get. Decent line and length in Amatuer mode, seems to all go out the window in Pro mode. Definitely doing something wrong. Definitely getting more confident with the bat though... I feel a 50 is around the corner, but prolly not in career mode because, super fielders keep catching or running me out.

Pro tip - try the orbit camera in the replay mode - you can see so many little details of the stadiums with it. Or things like this:
p5hrtd7.jpg

eeewwwww those gfx so master system up close.:D

Users who are viewing this thread