Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Saw my first over throws for a 4, i also ran two runs so i got 6 runs to my score. I have had one run a couple of times but this is the first i have seen.

Also the AI got two leg byes while i was bowling, they ran for a very silly run and the bowler throws at the stumps(missed) and no one was there. Last but not least i also had a edge to the keeper and when i went for the appeal the umpire said no, so i reviewed it.

To my surprise the edge went straight to ground and i did not see it. Loved this.

The best part is that the game let you review it.

I just can't seem to figure out batting. Today I decided another approach after failing miserabely at quickly adjusting to front and backfoot. I have decided to play off front foot only. That way I can also pull and cut the ball. These shots are available off front foot as well which just speaks volumes of depth of this game. So far I have not been able to score a hundred in (team total) in a causal ODI. I survive for twenty over or so. I hope I improve in this area.

The way i did it in the nets is, the moment i see red around the ball i went on back foot. Everything else was on front. Takes a lot of time though. I am not good at it either. I also tend to play just straight drives and pull shots against fast bowlers. Mess up trying to play to the off.

Just realized, one of the reasons the game isn't easy to play for a lot of people is because of how the player skills and attributes are set. Some players/teams have been shockingly bad stats and still show as best teams when downloaded.

This can be a huge factor in how you perform in batting and bowling.

Just realized, one of the reasons the game isn't easy to play for a lot of people is because of how the player skills and attributes are set. Some players/teams have been shockingly bad stats and still show as best teams when downloaded.

Update your PSN id man I tried to add you yesterday and got message ID is wrong.

----------

The way i did it in the nets is, the moment i see red around the ball i went on back foot. Everything else was on front. Takes a lot of time though. I am not good at it either. I also tend to play just straight drives and pull shots against fast bowlers. Mess up trying to play to the off.

One reason for not being able to play on the off side is that fast bowlers ball very tight middle/leg stump like and are huge chances to get out LBW if force to play on the off side.

I would like fast bowler to maintain off stump line and try to get edges.

BTW in Veteran mode today I got 3 edges 2 outside edges and and 1 inside edge to the keeper.

Update your PSN id man I tried to add you yesterday and got message ID is wrong.

It's imhasaan86. If you're unable to add me, tell me your ID and I'll add you.

Yes i agree mate, i went though Aussie and English team and they are fine. I had a few little tweaks. Will look at the rest when i finish work.

Ok guys I completed my first innings of a test match beyween SA and Eng. SA dclared at 550/6 in 90 ovs. Out of which 3 were runouts due the bug.I couldnt get a single edge or a bowled. I am batting at 5/1 in 3 overs. It is hard to bat. The issue is that you cant decide to do multiple things at the same time like front/back foot + Block or not to block + direction of shot. So for now Im playing all front foot shots and concentrating only on direction of shot and/or blocking. I had to restart match 3 times due to my batsmen getting out due to the runout bug. Irritating but I know this will be patched. Also I cant see the fielders after I playing a shot and hence very hard to judge a run.

Just an idea, what about an audio-guide for batting (aka beep when the ball is released?). One blip for a good length ball and two blips for short or full. That way I think getting on the right foot will make it easier, I struggle to pick up the length of the ball after an hour or so of play, straining on the eyes after a while.

I'm starting to come down on the side of batting being fractionally too hard on Pro, certainly the learning curve is a steap one from Amatuer....

Got the hang of fast bowling, finally. I think...

All my deliveries seem to show the same speed but at least I'm getting variation in length. Spin bowling I just can't get the hang of!

Started my career as a fast bowler in career mode on Veteran difficulty.

Don't know why people have been saying the bowling is easy...maybe playing on Pro?

My first game was a 4-dayer (Shield?) for the Vics. After 2 innings I had 4 for 84 off 30 overs. So an economy of 2.8 RPO and an average of 21. Felt good bowling 158 km/h out-swingers! Although probably a bit quick for a 16 year old and you wouldn't know they were that quick judging by the way the batsman play the ball.

I also only had to bat once and held up at end coming it an No. 10 and scored 6 runs of about 30 to 40 balls. Was quite fun.

I will say though that when bowling I had the AI play and miss at least 15 to 20 times but didn't get one edge. Wondering whether edges are calculated based on the stats of the bowler v batsman as opposed to the physics of the ball and bat?

From reading comments above I think people need to spend a lot more time practicing in the nets/match practice. One you spend a good couple of hours concentrating on practicing one particular skill it becomes much more easy to execute in a game without all the assistance's.

Anyway, still loving it. I think this game is more representative when played on Veteran or Legend difficulty though. The chance of getting a wicket and the general tempo of the game is more accurate. Just from watching my team mate bowl, there is a tendency for the bowling to be at leg stump/side, but not every ball. And the bowler seems to do it when the left and right handers swap during an over so it's a deliberate thing.

One thing I also wanted to mention; how good is the ambiance when simply fielding in career mode! Seeing players walking in and the bowler steaming in really gets the feel of real cricket right. And the bowlers look so much more impressive from side on as well!

Last edited:
Anyone thought about how the average person would feel about the difficulty in this game batting? I'm putting time in and slowly getting about better and its one thing to tell people on planet cricket to practice more but what about young kids trying to play or casuals? Should the game be trying to cater for the general public as much as possible considering how niche cricket games are? The difficulty in the current modes can stay the same I just think it needs an easier mode for career included. Ideally the ability to switvh bowling to veteran and batting to amateur

This game has 5 difficulty level for most modes, career mode i feel if Bigant patched rookie/Amateur in then batting averages would go though the roof. Pro bowling in career mode needs a tweak but i would not change the batting at the moment.

I'm just playing on Veteran and getting smashed but finding it helps me learn to play and cope much easier on all levels below.

Damn Trublu opening spin twins are killing me. :(

#practicebattingagainstspin

Just an idea, what about an audio-guide for batting (aka beep when the ball is released?). One blip for a good length ball and two blips for short or full. That way I think getting on the right foot will make it easier, I struggle to pick up the length of the ball after an hour or so of play, straining on the eyes after a while.

I'm starting to come down on the side of batting being fractionally too hard on Pro, certainly the learning curve is a steap one from Amatuer....

All my deliveries seem to show the same speed but at least I'm getting variation in length. Spin bowling I just can't get the hang of!

I was thinking a beep when it would be ideal timing, atleast itd give you a better idea of when you need to play your shots.

I found with bowling, you need to turn the assistance off(the visual one) because you focus on that and not when your bowler is actually jumping etc to pull back on the stick. The faster you shoot up the stick means the fater the ball(i think) thats how im doing it.

Interesting idea.

Question, when does the length of the ball get determined? Depending on that maybe the circle can show up a split second early. Also to make it more complex.. It might show up even sooner or later depending on how good/bad your batsman is.

Users who are viewing this thread