Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

Hi! I have a copy of the game too, on PS3. Had an account on here before but couldn't remember my credentials so had to make a new one.

Is anyone else with the game here facing really choppy/laggy gameplay? In the Nets/game menus etc the framerate and gameplay is fine, but as soon as I go in a match situation (even Practice Match) it is incredibly choppy, drops to maybe around 15 FPS or so when my bowler is running in. However, on the slow motion replay after a shot is played against my bowling, the FPS becomes fine again.

Any help? Developers? Anyone?

Hasn't happened here or been reported, Sony certainly wouldn't let us release a game that did this - Are you playing online with a very slow connection? Marks on the disk? HDMI settings OK?

Hasn't happened here or been reported, Sony certainly wouldn't let us release a game that did this - Are you playing online with a very slow connection? Marks on the disk? HDMI settings OK?

I haven't even tried Online yet. No marks on the disk, HDMI settings.. should be fine? I mean, I've been playing other games with the same HDMI settings and they've all run fine until today. When I play as the Don in the nets against the bowling machine it's fine then, too.

When I go into Match mode (even Practice Match) though it becomes choppy (starting from the first frame of the shots of the grass on the ground, etc etc). When the bowler is running in (regardless of whether I'm batting or bowling) the FPS is quite choppy, then all of a sudden during the slow-mo replay of the same ball delivered it becomes fine. :(

----------

As a wild stab, did you try installing the game to the hard disk?

I did install the game onto the hard disk from the word go, didn't bother to play it straight from the disk (have never done so with any of my other games, either). Helps on loading times as well as not having to rely on a disk/carrying it around when I travel. (hope I don't get in trouble for that with you guys, sorry, I know a lot of people aren't keen on homebrew etc here but I have BOUGHT the game!)

Could that be the problem?

I haven't even tried Online yet. No marks on the disk, HDMI settings.. should be fine? I mean, I've been playing other games with the same HDMI settings and they've all run fine until today. When I play as the Don in the nets against the bowling machine it's fine then, too.

When I go into Match mode (even Practice Match) though it becomes choppy (starting from the first frame of the shots of the grass on the ground, etc etc). When the bowler is running in (regardless of whether I'm batting or bowling) the FPS is quite choppy, then all of a sudden during the slow-mo replay of the same ball delivered it becomes fine. :(

If I were you and my PS 3 did this, I would immediately get it checked for any hardware issues. Also, is your PS3 modified/jailbroken by any chance because that can always give unknown problems.

Also, I don't think this game can be installed on the drive. I didn't see any options but I think that's because it is PS 3. Xbox gives an option for all games to be installed on drive.

Also, I don't think this game can be installed on the drive. I didn't see any options but I think that's because it is PS 3. Xbox gives an option for all games to be installed on drive.
Ah, I'm a 360 user, just assumed that because the PS3 has game installs it can do them for anything.

Every single PS3 game/disk can be installed on your hard drive. A lot of people do it because it helps on loading times (a lot in some games, not so much in other games) and you don't have to carry your disk around with you. Think of it as buying a game for PC, then downloading a NO-CD patch for it.

Ah, I'm a 360 user, just assumed that because the PS3 has game installs it can do them for anything.

Some PS3 games can be installed but it depends on the game/developers AFAIK. GTA V definitely required a drive install and so do all PSN games I purchase and download, for obvious reasons.

Wait, I'm kinda confused. By 'install' I meant ripping the entire contents of the DBC14 disk onto my hard drive. The game however did not have the 'install game data onto HDD' message like most PS3 games do when you play them for the first time.

I don't think DBC14 can be installed on a PS3 HDD, I could be wrong but we certainly didn't write code for that to happen.

It also requires the latest firmware which is shipped on the disk.

EDIT: I see the issue, you can't rip the game onto the HDD, the error you face is likely linked to incompatible firmware/jailbreak - does it run from the Disk itself ok?

Last edited:
Wait, I'm kinda confused. By 'install' I meant ripping the entire contents of the DBC14 disk onto my hard drive. The game however did not have the 'install game data onto HDD' message like most PS3 games do when you play them for the first time.

Yup, you have a jailbroken PS 3 or something like that. You can't 'rip' the entire contents of a game and play it without the CD, by normal means on PS3 or even Xbox for that matter, unless it is a digital download.

And DBC 14 doesn't even have an option to be installed on PS 3 at all.

That's probably why you're also seeing the FPS issues.

I don't think DBC14 can be installed on a PS3 HDD, I could be wrong but we certainly didn't write code for that to happen.

It also requires the latest firmware which is shipped on the disk.

I am on the latest firmware. And if by 'install' you mean the 'install game data to HDD' message that shows up when you play most games for the first time, then yes, you are correct.

When I meant 'install' I meant ripping the contents of the entire disk to my HDD to save from using the disk myself and help loading times etc in general. :)

I think that might be the problem. Will try playing straight from disk now. Will update you in a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread