Don Bradman Cricket 14 - first impressions thread

I find it a little out of position: I'd like it smaller, somewhere closer to the bowler's arm. The distance between the two means you look at either exclusively: if it was somewhere near the ball you could have both.

It's not the best design, it was added after feedback that people needed more assistance to learn the bowling mechanics. It's not there on the higher difficulty levels and you can turn it off on the lower ones once you get the hang of it.

Maybe also change the type of shirt for ODIs and T20s so you avoid getting that knitted jumper?

Agree. Shall do that now also. On another note has anyone worked out the best way to create the new away ODI/T20 shirt? The same one they wore against South Africa? That was the best I could muster up

EDIT: Changed to current designs - it was just my away jersey that was modern

Last edited:
Confused as to why Faulkner's and Watson's runups looked different because as far as I'm aware they are both fast mediums - will check that out now.
What about their AI mentality? I've had a hunch for a while that's linked to animations.

Huge thanks for the video - looks like a lot of those little graphical glitches that were in the build I played in November are gone. Also good to see the AI batting well - looks like the difficulty modes should hold up.

The bowling assistance hud looks odd, seems like going to a lot of effort just to avoid having a 'green zone' on a timing meter like the bowling systems of old. And as already noted, those stumpings and runouts just look strange with the movements of the batsmen.

Not long now...

We tried a lot of different presentations of the meter and focus groups said these were the best. Line is included on them as well.

Agree. Shall do that now also. On another note has anyone worked out the best way to create the new away ODI/T20 shirt? The same one they wore against South Africa? That was the best I could muster up

I tried that one as well. It's difficult because it is such an ugly jersey.

I dunno if its possible or not but have you tried online
are the servers up yet????

It's peer-2-peer, will be up for as long as XBLA/PSN are.

Maybe we should set up a game tomorrow sometime?

I've heard that Kane at Tru Blu will be up for a game on Wednesday, he'll want to play as India :)

What about their AI mentality? I've had a hunch for a while that's linked to animations.

Could be it - Faulkner's set to brute whereas Watson's set to aggressive.

It's peer-2-peer, will be up for as long as XBLA/PSN are.

Maybe we should set up a game tomorrow sometime?

I've heard that Kane at Tru Blu will be up for a game on Wednesday, he'll want to play as India :)

I'm up for a game. :) PSN ID: imhassan86

It was difficult to spot the ball in the outfield when after playing a shot the camera stays fixed near the pitch area. Of course this could be because of watching a video instead of playing it live
Strange. Camera followed one of the ball in the outfield.

BTW why had you keep a silly point in the last over of an inning? :p

The game looked like lots of fun just from watching the video. The AI held its own as well. Fielding looks very realistic and is not limited to 5 or 6 different actions like in other cricket games.

If only Australia played that well in the T20 World Cup. What about Mitchell Starc's performance? Gets two wickets in a row and is on a hat-trick. Next over he gets a run out as well!

Thanks very much for the video, I just finished it.

Really, I think it looks fantastic, particularly the animations. I noticed James Faulkner had a different run-up and delivery stride to others. Is this the medium pace run-up?

Here are a few negatives I found though:

1) Way too many reverse sweeps, particularly off pace bowlers. Hopefully this is just a 20/20 thing
2) AI bowlers bowl too much down the leg side
3) The run outs and stumpings look a bit "off", as mentioned previously
4) Check out the Hawk-eye for the full toss. Is it just me or does the predicted path of the ball take a mid-air deviation along the vertical axis, after hitting the pad?
5) A few odd movements of the players, e.g. when the wicket keeper took a catch the slip fielder was already running to the stumps by the time the keeper caught it, and kept on running. Maybe he was just THAT eager to celebrate!

I think that the runout/stumping issue is the only very significant one, although I'd not like to see many reverse sweeps in test matches.

Spot on. I thought the reverse sweep by Warner first ball of the innings was pretty cool (something he'd be inclined to do in a real match situation).

By the way, it's much easier to take wickets on bad balls than on good ones. You don't always have to time the meter 'right' for fast bowlers, or get the line and amount of spin perfect for the spinners. Any ball can do wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread