Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

A very tight no ball call (it was given as a no ball) although as you can see the heel is just on the line.

jWxf1Vd.png

:facepalm

Laws%20of%20Cricket%20MCC.jpg

I dunno; the day my grandad died was pretty shitty; as was dealing with a friend who'd just come out of a very tweaked up relationship and was in a pretty bad place. The independence referendum night in September was also not very good, even though it was nice to see so many people interested in important matters of state. Hell; the day that Tony Benn died was pretty awful as well, especially since he's one of my big inspirations.

What I'm saying is that if a bloody cricket video game is the cause of one of the "worst experiences" in your life, then something is up with your life. Go and explore the world. You'll face hard times but also meet some of the best people in the world. A sports video game shouldn't be a life affecting experience; it should be something that you play to relax and have a little fun. I remember when SimCity came out last year and it turned out to both have broken always-on DRM and be a very bad game as well. It was annoying that the latest version of something that I'd spent hundreds of hours with as a kid was simply awful; but it didn't dramatically affect my life since I have a lot of things to live for without letting a silly city building video game get me down.
That was a pretty good speech actually. You competely ignored the other points I mentioned about few errors in the game and finding fault with my single sentence. That is awesome :clap

First post in a while as I stopped playing the game for a month or two.

Played a test and a oneday vs Pak and lost both games, test was fun with Pak making 517(sim) Me 229 then in my second inns I made my best score of 756 of 165.2 overs and loved almost every minute but the simming sucks in this game, how the hell do Pak make 469 runs in 96 overs on a 5th day pitch. Yeah right.

My oneday was a shocker as I was bowled out for 61 with 2 runouts and 5 edges to keeper. I was playing to the offside to early.
My advice to anyone playing on pro or higher is not to play offside to much till you are on 30 or 40 as you edge very easy, I like this and would love to know if Bigant are any closer to fixing the bowling as it's a pain to say it nicely.

I see why people don't like bowling against the AI. The aerial shots are beyond a joke in the longer formats. Almost every single boundary is hit through the air.
I made all the batsmen conservative and it made no difference at all, there were only 3 boundaries that were grounded shots in a whole innings!

I really can't see how Bigant are going to be able to fix this issue. Reducing them will mean they will score 1/2 runs an over. Shot selection needs to be completely reconfigured which I can't see happening for a patch. Conservative and precise batsman should rarely take the aerial route, " plays low risk shots" is the description for conservative batsman, well tonking it from the first ball faced then getting caught at mid-on for 11 certainly isn't my idea of "low risk".

While I'm having a moan, has anyone ever seen the ball reverse? I've yet to bowl an outswinger that has gone the other way. I think it could be a myth as far as the game is concerned.

On a brighter note I'm actually enjoying batting in a cricket game for the first time in years. EA Cricket 2005 I think. The batting is superb, my missus thinks I've lost the plot as I constantly chat to myself while batting, then start ranting when I'm bowling Haha!!!

Did
I see why people don't like bowling against the AI. The aerial shots are beyond a joke in the longer formats. Almost every single boundary is hit through the air.
I made all the batsmen conservative and it made no difference at all, there were only 3 boundaries that were grounded shots in a whole innings!

I really can't see how Bigant are going to be able to fix this issue. Reducing them will mean they will score 1/2 runs an over. Shot selection needs to be completely reconfigured which I can't see happening for a patch. Conservative and precise batsman should rarely take the aerial route, " plays low risk shots" is the description for conservative batsman, well tonking it from the first ball faced then getting caught at mid-on for 11 certainly isn't my idea of "low risk".

While I'm having a moan, has anyone ever seen the ball reverse? I've yet to bowl an outswinger that has gone the other way. I think it could be a myth as far as the game is concerned.

On a brighter note I'm actually enjoying batting in a cricket game for the first time in years. EA Cricket 2005 I think. The batting is superb, my missus thinks I've lost the plot as I constantly chat to myself while batting, then start ranting when I'm bowling Haha!!!

did you manage to test your theories Any further?

Did

did you manage to test your theories Any further?

Just on the topic of frustrating bowling and immovable AI batsmen - How was this pre-patch? I only got the game on PC on it's latest patch but am curious to know whether bowling has always been such a infuriating cock-up or whether something went awry between patches.

Just on the topic of frustrating bowling and immovable AI batsmen - How was this pre-patch? I only got the game on PC on it's latest patch but am curious to know whether bowling has always been such a infuriating cock-up or whether something went awry between patches.
I dont think bowling has ever been quite there: bowling in shortish stints in career mode is okay but bowling a whole test match is nigh on impossible; they just need to join the dots. Ba spent loads of time on getting human batting and ai bowling right, which they did, and they will focus on ai batting and fielding and human bowling next. They will deliver but they are now in the situation of diverting resources to other things.

I've not been able to play in a few weeks (been busy) but +1 here for the patch doing something or other to batsmen in longer format games.

Even on rookie mode (don't judge me) it seemed to turn them into block merchants and took all the fun out of bowling at them because any wickets just felt like flukes.

It's hard to say, because I'd suggest a lot of the reason it's harder to get batsmen out in tests/FC now is simply the fixing (or over fixing) of other issues.

You'd get more wickets in the game out of the box because of crazy run outs and the batsmen constantly scooping it up to mid on and off. Both of those got toned down in the extreme - they'll play and miss to avoid playing the kind of shots that might get them out in the inner circle, and they can run half way down the pitch and then cancel a run to avoid the off chance that maybe a run out could happen.

It's hard to know how well we would have done if somehow those problems could be fixed in isolation.

I think the path to a solution wouldn't be that hard - the AI already occasionally lashes out and smashes you when you've been keeping it really tight - just tweak the likelihood of them mistiming a lofted shot after they have had a lot of plays and misses or dot balls. Make them push singles to get used to hitting the ball for runs, not just a direct path between being there at the crease for ages and being 'in'.

so that means that it'll take another month to properly work, if my microsoft experience is at all accurate

I dont think bowling has ever been quite there: bowling in shortish stints in career mode is okay but bowling a whole test match is nigh on impossible; they just need to join the dots. Ba spent loads of time on getting human batting and ai bowling right, which they did, and they will focus on ai batting and fielding and human bowling next. They will deliver but they are now in the situation of diverting resources to other things.

This is subjective I think - I enjoy bowling in test matches much more than career mode. Bowling is an enjoyable experience for me - setting fields, managing bowlers, bowling to plans which, despite what people think, is an effective ploy. I can roll through sides some days and then get hit around others.

If you're not enjoying bowling then I'm guessing you have the approach of not giving it any thought and just running in and bowling wherever.

Bowling to the AI is enjoyable if you actually treat it like real cricket and give things thought.

This is subjective I think - I enjoy bowling in test matches much more than career mode. Bowling is an enjoyable experience for me - setting fields, managing bowlers, bowling to plans which, despite what people think, is an effective ploy. I can roll through sides some days and then get hit around others.

If you're not enjoying bowling then I'm guessing you have the approach of not giving it any thought and just running in and bowling wherever.

Bowling to the AI is enjoyable if you actually treat it like real cricket and give things thought.

I totally agree, i love bowling. I bowl every ball that my team bowls. Its great fun trying to out think the batsman just like in real cricket.

Well I just had this run out happen to me. How is this even possible? Not very happy, it's hard enough for me to bat at the best of times without getting stitched up by the game like this.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 82

I am not liking bowling to AI because I am giving it thought like in real cricket. I bowl outswinger from wider of the crease, and the batsmen easily block it out. Outswinger after few inswingers rarely fool the AI.

Bouncer at 158 kph after a full ball is pulled in front of square, and the next full ball batsmen has no problem coming on the front foot to drive it. Slower ball do seem to work but they rarely get the wicket.

Short leg is useless most of the time(though I did get one out to them). Most of the few outside edges I have got, have been actually through the inswingers. Outswingers are generally useless.

These tricks work on human opponents, not on AI though. And thats why I don't like bowling in Test matches.

Users who are viewing this thread