Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

i dont what it is but i have to say there is something right about the srilankan team at times, i have also got good results agaisnt them once even had them collapsing under hundred. especially without any lower order firing 50 over match though. will see if i have a scorecard somewhere.

Its a bit fast and low scoring, but a typical example of a nice scorecard that proves things aren't completely broken beyond repair.

- AI vs.AI
- Grassy, Soft pitch
- New ball every ten overs (I'm not sure how this affects spinners, but they seem to get a few overs and still be able to take wickets)
- Pro difficulty

What to look for
- The best batsman scored the most runs
- The tail, apart from Eranga, scored the least runs
- Wickets were shared evenly
- Wickets fell in a variety of manners, from scoops to mid on, to little nicks behind, to moving balls trapping people LBW

SL_v_NZ.jpg

Perera should have got booed by his own fans there.

20 years ago when I was a kid I played this $2 card game called "Battle for the Ashes" with my brother, where you'd role a couple of dice - one to determine the event for a delivery (out, runs, wide, no-ball, wicket) and another to determine runs scored (1,2,3,4 or 6). We'd keep score in scorebooks and even commentated the games over a stereo pretending we were on the radio. It was all there really was for cricket games, but it didn't take into account the relative weaknesses of tailenders and part-time bowlers.

20 years on and we have a video game costing nearly 50 times more, with still no discernible differences between different players regardless of skill and attribute settings, terrible repetitive and dull commentary and no co-op....at least the old card game was just decided on a simple role of the die with even chance rather than being pulled along by scripting/handicapping/momentum forces - call it what you will.

Oh nostalgia...

Although I can understand some of the posts regarding attributes and skills, during my career when I look at the top run scorers in the statistics, they're batters and the top wicket takers are genuine bowlers, so although there are times in casual and career matches where tailenders get runs, its obviously been implemented by BA pretty well. This is, after all, the first iteration. Hats off to the guys who are trying to find ways to make it more realistic, its certainly more constructive than comparing the best cricket game on the market(despite a few flaws) to a cheap childhood game.

Incidentally,
I still have the old Test Match game from the 80s in my loft, but as kids we didn't close one eye or try using the other hand for batting with tailenders. We just loved playing a cricket related game!

20 years ago when I was a kid I played this $2 card game called "Battle for the Ashes" with my brother, where you'd role a couple of dice - one to determine the event for a delivery (out, runs, wide, no-ball, wicket) and another to determine runs scored (1,2,3,4 or 6). We'd keep score in scorebooks and even commentated the games over a stereo pretending we were on the radio. It was all there really was for cricket games, but it didn't take into account the relative weaknesses of tailenders and part-time bowlers.

20 years on and we have a video game costing nearly 50 times more, with still no discernible differences between different players regardless of skill and attribute settings, terrible repetitive and dull commentary and no co-op....at least the old card game was just decided on a simple role of the die with even chance rather than being pulled along by scripting/handicapping/momentum forces - call it what you will.

Oh nostalgia...

Subjective wouldnt you say....

Oh nostalgia...

If you don't see, or experience, any difference between a $2 card game and DBC 14, there's not much to discuss really. It's one thing to criticize the game but your post is ridiculous to say the least.

I laughed at a person on the Paradox Interactive forums trying to compare Europa Universalis 4 and games like Risk. Somehow; you've managed to find something that's even more ridiculous!

Playing cricket in the backyard against my cat is better than DBC14, now allow me to illustrate with red circles... [HASHTAG]#complainingproperly[/HASHTAG]

So Ross any word on that current gen version yet or you guys are looking beyond DBC14 for the current gen?

Dear Sirs,

This is subjective I think - I enjoy bowling in test matches much more than career mode. Bowling is an enjoyable experience for me - setting fields, managing bowlers, bowling to plans which, despite what people think, is an effective ploy. I can roll through sides some days and then get hit around others.
If you're not enjoying bowling then I'm guessing you have the approach of not giving it any thought and just running in and bowling wherever.
Bowling to the AI is enjoyable if you actually treat it like real cricket and give things thought.

Oh nostalgia...

Yours Sincerely,

A. Troll

Playing cricket in the backyard against my cat is better than DBC14, now allow me to illustrate with red circles... [HASHTAG]#complainingproperly[/HASHTAG]

I have to ask Biggs, did your cat beat you again mate.:cheers:p:thumbs:D:eek::lol

Guys whats your Idea/speculation about Patch-3 being released by this year. Let me make it very clear, my question is not towards Big Ant Team, but towards the forum members, when you feel/expect that Patch-3 will be rolled out? Personally I dont think it will get delayed beyond this year, that is it should release by December end.

One thing I've learned regarding BA and patches/releases is you can't second guess them. With the last patch they put it out without any notification, and that is the only thing I would expect from them this time. Also the Xbox version is playing pretty well now, there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the game, and from the PC patches people have been a little negative with some of the changes. I don't think there's any need to rush it out.

One thing I've learned regarding BA and patches/releases is you can't second guess them. With the last patch they put it out without any notification, and that is the only thing I would expect from them this time. Also the Xbox version is playing pretty well now, there isn't anything glaringly wrong with the game, and from the PC patches people have been a little negative with some of the changes. I don't think there's any need to rush it out.
Personally I am pretty happy with the way the game play on ps3 as well. It is just the AI batting that seems to bother most people. I would also rather let them take their time, because patch 2 was far worst than the out of the box game. 2.5 fixed that again, I would really hate for it to be broken again.

Quite agree @lastig, from what I've heard about the PC patches since 2.5, only the scoreboard being shown in the pause screen and possibly the more offside line would be something I'd like to see, that said, I currently get probably 70% of my runs leg side and 60% of my dismissals are edges from off side deliveries, so although for realism it should be added, I don't mind if it isn't!!

Users who are viewing this thread