MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm not grumbling about anything, just curious of the rules etc.
Basically you need to hit the batsman with the ball in the line of the stumps for it to be given out LBW (when the batsman is playing a shot) - at the end it shows you the path of the ball - you need all three of those elements to light up red for it to be out and overturn the umpire's decision.
Untitled.jpg
Usually on TV they'd show something like this - where you see both that ball path and the batsman - you can see that it hit him on the pad, but on a part of the pad that wasn't in front of the stumps.

To be given out LBW, it needs to hit a batsman when their pad (or leg) is in front of the stumps. If it doesn't, even if it was going on to hit the stumps it is given not out.

That's an extraordinarily close call that one - but the game gave the correct decision.

gunit123

County Cricketer
Great stuff thanks guys, that's made it much clearer, appreciated. :)

Not sure if the others mentioned it, but it is a lot harder to get LBW's when bowling around the wicket to a batsman. This is because if the ball pitches 'outside' the line regardless of impact, it is automatically judged as not out regardless of whether it then goes on to hit the batsman in line. Whereas if you bowl over the wicket (e.g.left side to a right handed batsman and vice versa), it is acceptable for the ball to pitch outside the line and providing it hits the batsman in line, it can be given out.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Not sure if the others mentioned it, but it is a lot harder to get LBW's when bowling around the wicket to a batsman. This is because if the ball pitches 'outside' the line regardless of impact, it is automatically judged as not out regardless of whether it then goes on to hit the batsman in line. Whereas if you bowl over the wicket (e.g.left side to a right handed batsman and vice versa), it is acceptable for the ball to pitch outside the line and providing it hits the batsman in line, it can be given out.

Your argument doesn't hold true in case you bowl to a left hander round the wicket. Generally the reason you don't bowl round the wicket is that the natural angle of the delivery from round the wickets will take the delivery down the leg stump if you do manage to vctch the batsman in front of the stumps.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
I'm hoping they get the current mods 'right' (read: more slots) than opening up more of the game

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Great stuff thanks guys, that's made it much clearer, appreciated. :)

The other LBW rules are that the ball can't pitch outside the line of leg stump (although pitching outside off is OK provided it hits the pad in line); and also the ball cannot have hit the bat before the pad (since its legal to use your body to prevent a ball you've hit from hitting the stumps, and that includes when you've edged it). Its something that's hard to get if you aren't a cricket person, but it isn't as hard as people make it out to be

SalmanWahidi

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Guys, how can I play the lofted Dil-scoop? The AI always manages to play it and it goes one-bounced over the boundary for four, but when I play, it barely reaches outside the circle. Even when I manage to get a boundary from it, it goes grounded but not lofted like the AI.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hi guys!

Yesterday I tried changing the formats in the game through the Don Bradman Academy and did the necessary changes to all the formats. For instance, I changed the Pro-40 format to 20-20 over per side (twice), with two innings given to each side. Similarly, I did necessary changes to the 4 day format and the 5 day test match but when I started a new career in English county, the formats were still same as before. Any help? Besides, has any one of your tried and successfully changed the formats in the game?

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Why you wouldn't take advantage of the popularity in 20 overs cricket and call it 'twenty20 cricket'? of course still have all the other modes in their too tho

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Why you wouldn't take advantage of the popularity in 20 overs cricket and call it 'twenty20 cricket'? of course still have all the other modes in their too tho

Well one reason is because in some circles it is the least popular format of the game.

Another is because there's various legal battles still happening about trademarking of the "T20" or "Twenty20" or "2020" or "20Twenty" names. All of them completely ridiculous, but still something you wouldn't want to mess with if you haven't got a license behind you.

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
Yeh using the greatest cricketer of all time is a fairly poor marketing strategy aye.

Bloody hell.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Yeh using the greatest cricketer of all time is a fairly poor marketing strategy aye.

Bloody hell.

Well, I'd contest that. It's not a great license outside of Australia in terms of sales. Yes a legend, but legends are often overshadowed by contemporaries.
"Tiger Woods" is a better golf license today than "Jack Nicklaus" or "Gary Player" would be. Or at least it was a few years back. :)

Users who are viewing this thread