Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I do feel Fielders have reached super saiyan level 3 though with the latest patch.

Direct hits happen at 99.94 % and fielders dive forward in to the ground 15 ft breaking their jaws at will for the catch.

I do feel Fielders have reached super saiyan level 3 though with the latest patch.

Direct hits happen at 99.94 % and fielders dive forward in to the ground 15 ft breaking their jaws at will for the catch.

Am now used to the direct hits, so that wont bother me. Infact its better than watching the ball miss both the stumps and bowler/wk all the time :). Really happy to hear about the edges from defensive shots....cant wait for the latest patch on consoles!

:lol Thats true...Maybe we should add broken teeth animation to our next version list...:D[DOUBLEPOST=1443440023][/DOUBLEPOST]
Am now used to the direct hits, so that wont bother me. Infact its better than watching the ball miss both the stumps and bowler/wk all the time :). Really happy to hear about the edges from defensive shots....cant wait for the latest patch on consoles!
Other than some regular stuff which are hard to take away/ rectify the game feels new and more enjoyable...It will be really good experience and worth the wait...:D[DOUBLEPOST=1443440091][/DOUBLEPOST]@angad and the beauty about those edges which he gets it is that most of the time its an angled bat so its pretty realistic too...

Quick question for the folks playing on PC with latest patches... do the human players edge a lot while playing regular ground shots? And does playing aggressive ground shots with both triggers pressed help reduce the edges as was the scenario prior to the PC patches?

Quick question for the folks playing on PC with latest patches... do the human players edge a lot while playing regular ground shots? And does playing aggressive ground shots with both triggers pressed help reduce the edges as was the scenario prior to the PC patches?
Totally my opinion:
Edges are more if you play a drive on the wrong length either on front foot or back foot...Till now for edges my reaction has always been "Ah!! Why did I play that"...And the edges on aggressive ground shots have increased [this looking at others playing it as I don't use that shot]....My issue is that the batsman doesn't lean in to the shot and he plays wider to the body which in real life causes most of the edges...So that is obviously going to cause an edge somewhere in the innings....And lookout for the cross seam deliveries from AI they are the most edges prone deliveries cutting them or playing cover drive off them total risk IMO...

I got in trouble from Matt in the other thread for rambling too much and not being concise so I'm going to put it here.

@Biggs, I guess that something like this is what you are talking about with your highlight package thing - its a little video gamey and you'd want some more voice clips but I think that it works as an example, and I'm honestly surprised that its something that has never been done better in other games.

I still think that NFL 2k5 has some of the best commentary of any sports game ever: which is quite impressive because the two commentators are actors and not actual ESPN people - they'd used the same people for the five previous games and that meant that they could add lines each year rather than having to start again from scratch semi-regularly like Madden always does. I think that more modern games have the thing beat for presentation now (but not Madden: they tried to do a similar thing but lots of the various cut scenes repeat regularly - they originally had one animation that is used whenever you call a time out, which theoretically could be seen 12 times in one game which just looks lazy). It helps show that "good commentary" is a sports game doesn't just mean calling the people that do it in real life, and that other solutions may be better in the long term especially for smaller developers. They also have lots of different and interesting ways of showing stats in game between plays and that would probably work for the stats guys on the forum - especially if you started tracking things like averages against certain bowling types or handiness, or against certain teams.

What I say here is based on very little knowledge of how much the main Cricket people would charge: but I'd personally rather have three no-names and decent commentary rather than three big people and something similar to AC09...

@Biggs, I guess that something like this is what you are talking about with your highlight package thing - its a little video gamey and you'd want some more voice clips but I think that it works as an example, and I'm honestly surprised that its something that has never been done better in other games.

I'd steer away from having any kind of commentary, to be honest... that would get horrible after a while BUT I think the general concept of that video is just fine. I would make greater use of the on-ground scoreboard as part of the UI presentation as it's a video screen, so make it play videos! On the grounds where you don't have a "Video" screen on the ground, then you don't get those highlights and, I would assume, that would be out of place when you're playing grade-cricket anyway. It'd be a nice reward feature, or unlockable when you're playing career mode to get a highlights type thing.

One thing I didn't put in my thread, but I wanted to discuss was the music. I think the game desperately needs more on ground during T20 and in general, integrated into the general gameplay stuff. I need to poke @BigAntStudios here a little on that as I'd be quite keen to compose some stuff, I've done rough stuff in the past that's more Orchestral/Cinematic but I think some cricket stuff lends itself to being a little more "Epic" maybe? If anything, I'd like to take a crack at doing my own interpretation of the Channel 9 theme for the game...

Regarding commentary, AC09 pretty much nailed it with a core group of commentators doing general stuff about the game (some is pretty dated now) and only had one major commentator doing all the play by play stuff. They would then throw to Shane Warne, Michael Holding (etc) who would blab on about something relevant to the scenario playing out. They were limited, but it worked.

I have been playing career as an indian international and have only toured pakistan and new zealand rest all being home matches... Jw if I play as aus or eng international will I get the same amount of away tours as home or is it gonna be similar to as I have been dealing with as an Indian International

I'd steer away from having any kind of commentary, to be honest... that would get horrible after a while BUT I think the general concept of that video is just fine. I would make greater use of the on-ground scoreboard as part of the UI presentation as it's a video screen, so make it play videos! On the grounds where you don't have a "Video" screen on the ground, then you don't get those highlights and, I would assume, that would be out of place when you're playing grade-cricket anyway. It'd be a nice reward feature, or unlockable when you're playing career mode to get a highlights type thing.
That would be great...Maybe like a small cutscene and something from the commentators like its drink break now lets look at some highlights and the camera goes from the pitch to the screen and zooms in to make it fullscreen and shows the highlights then when its finished zooms out [to show that the highlights were seen from that screen] and camera travels back to the pitch cam to continue with live action with commentators saying and we are back to live action and continue with the usual commentary...Commentary while watching highlights would also be good but to a minimal...

now lets look at some highlights and the camera goes from the pitch to the screen and zooms in to make it fullscreen and shows the highlights then when its finished zooms out

^This guy gets it

gonna add this to my comment in the next edition feedback thread, but following on from points by @IceAgeComing and @Biggs regarding commentary, these are my commentary "golden rules":
  • Do not use expensive commentators, spend the budget on writers and voice actors – too many commentators come across wooden.
    • Maximise the number of voices your budget will allow.
    • ideally, have 2 per main host country, so you can mix and match based on location and visitor
    • avoid as far as possible any catchphrase, cheesey moments or jokes since they will be heard potentially thousands of times and become toe-curling
  • The commentators MUST NOT speak every ball, only at key moments
    • as far as possible, describe the situation, not the action
      • i.e. we can all see the batsman has hit a four, but is it the first in a while, or the 3rd of the over?
      • so the commentator says either “he’s eased the pressure that was building up with that 4” or “he’s really on top of the bowler now”
    • contextualise it based on what the player is doing
      • so in the above example, if the player is the batsman, the comment is on the batsman easing pressure/getting on top of the bowler
      • if the player is the bowler, the comment would be on how the bowler has let the pressure off, or is under pressure himself, may be taken out of the attack etc.
    • we can see that a single is taken, so don’t tell us every time. rather, comment on:
      • are the batsmen running well and getting a lot of singles
      • does the single get a particular batsman off strike after facing a lot of balls off the same bowler
      • Is it a lower order player getting off strike or perhaps hogging the strike at the end of an over?
    • describing the fact that no run is taken off a particular ball is valid towards the end of a limited overs innings and at no other time
    • if there is a build up of dot balls, then yes comment on it either that bowler is continuing to pressure the batsman or maybe beginning to re-exert control after expensive overs
      • but again, contextualised based on whether human is batting or bowling
  • Remember that a video game is a mix of “TV” and being at the ground – why not have the commentators speak less and expand the role of the PA announcer in announcing new batsmen/bowlers, large stands / milestones etc.

^^ Regarding commentary, I was also thinking whether it would be a good idea in a video game for the commentators to speak more than one line whenever for e.g. a boundary is hit rather than just one statement saying 'That eases the pressure'. Maybe record multiple lines that can be joined with each other based on:

e.g.
a) Event that happened
b) How it effects the over all match situation
c) The kind of shot that was played

etc.

What I mean to say is, the commentary should have a flow to it as well instead of abstract statements. Also, I like the idea of not using commentary for each delivery as then there are chances it will not get irritating.

Few thing I noticed funny in commentary in DBC 14

• When the batsmen hits 50, commentator says, "He will be eyeing on three figures". But I needed only 10 more to finish the match
  • After the batsmen reaches 90 runs, for every single run the commentaator says, "reaching towards the major milestone, A Century"
  • Whenever the batsmen scores a Century commentators says that he made it on Debut.
  • I bowl doosra delvery and the batsman defends the ball, commentary, "Its a perfect Offbreak delivery"
  • When I hit the winning runs with a boundary, commentary says, "He smashed it through for four and with he has won the game", but nothing happens when I hit it with a six.
  • I hit 25 runs in an over, but the commentary feels nothing special and simply announces that "Thats the end of the over. 25 of it"
These are the lines I remember as of now. But there are few more that are not relevant to the game situation.

Few thing I noticed funny in commentary in DBC 14

• When the batsmen hits 50, commentator says, "He will be eyeing on three figures". But I needed only 10 more to finish the match
  • After the batsmen reaches 90 runs, for every single run the commentaator says, "reaching towards the major milestone, A Century"
  • Whenever the batsmen scores a Century commentators says that he made it on Debut.
  • I bowl doosra delvery and the batsman defends the ball, commentary, "Its a perfect Offbreak delivery"
  • When I hit the winning runs with a boundary, commentary says, "He smashed it through for four and with he has won the game", but nothing happens when I hit it with a six.
  • I hit 25 runs in an over, but the commentary feels nothing special and simply announces that "Thats the end of the over. 25 of it"
These are the lines I remember as of now. But there are few more that are not relevant to the game situation.
:lol
Similarly the other day in career, placed a shot and took a single then when AI threw it went for overthrow four and the commentator said "Thats what the people have come to see" :lol had a good laugh...

The most funny commentary is when the batsman hits a six, the fielder goes outside the boundary line and drops the catch, the commentator would praise the six, followed by he has dropped the catch, the captain should re gather the troops. Lol. Epic fun this one is.

Users who are viewing this thread