Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I bowl doosra delvery and the batsman defends the ball, commentary, "Its a perfect Offbreak delivery"

My career player is a left arm leg spinner; and it doesn't matter whatever I bowl its always "a perfect off break delivery". It got incredibly annoying until I turned off the commentary

:lol
Similarly the other day in career, placed a shot and took a single then when AI threw it went for overthrow four and the commentator said "Thats what the people have come to see" :lol had a good laugh...
Definitely funny, if that was what people have come to see, that would be the worst match ever

gonna add this to my comment in the next edition feedback thread, but following on from points by @IceAgeComing and @Biggs regarding commentary, these are my commentary "golden rules":
  • Do not use expensive commentators, spend the budget on writers and voice actors – too many commentators come across wooden.
    • Maximise the number of voices your budget will allow.
    • ideally, have 2 per main host country, so you can mix and match based on location and visitor
    • avoid as far as possible any catchphrase, cheesey moments or jokes since they will be heard potentially thousands of times and become toe-curling
  • The commentators MUST NOT speak every ball, only at key moments
    • as far as possible, describe the situation, not the action
      • i.e. we can all see the batsman has hit a four, but is it the first in a while, or the 3rd of the over?
      • so the commentator says either “he’s eased the pressure that was building up with that 4” or “he’s really on top of the bowler now”
    • contextualise it based on what the player is doing
      • so in the above example, if the player is the batsman, the comment is on the batsman easing pressure/getting on top of the bowler
      • if the player is the bowler, the comment would be on how the bowler has let the pressure off, or is under pressure himself, may be taken out of the attack etc.
    • we can see that a single is taken, so don’t tell us every time. rather, comment on:
      • are the batsmen running well and getting a lot of singles
      • does the single get a particular batsman off strike after facing a lot of balls off the same bowler
      • Is it a lower order player getting off strike or perhaps hogging the strike at the end of an over?
    • describing the fact that no run is taken off a particular ball is valid towards the end of a limited overs innings and at no other time
    • if there is a build up of dot balls, then yes comment on it either that bowler is continuing to pressure the batsman or maybe beginning to re-exert control after expensive overs
      • but again, contextualised based on whether human is batting or bowling
  • Remember that a video game is a mix of “TV” and being at the ground – why not have the commentators speak less and expand the role of the PA announcer in announcing new batsmen/bowlers, large stands / milestones etc.

Dave has seen my emails!

This is word perfect and BA should only focus on this post for commentary on DBC16 :)

Few thing I noticed funny in commentary in DBC 14

• When the batsmen hits 50, commentator says, "He will be eyeing on three figures". But I needed only 10 more to finish the match
  • After the batsmen reaches 90 runs, for every single run the commentaator says, "reaching towards the major milestone, A Century"
  • Whenever the batsmen scores a Century commentators says that he made it on Debut.
  • I bowl doosra delvery and the batsman defends the ball, commentary, "Its a perfect Offbreak delivery"
  • When I hit the winning runs with a boundary, commentary says, "He smashed it through for four and with he has won the game", but nothing happens when I hit it with a six.
  • I hit 25 runs in an over, but the commentary feels nothing special and simply announces that "Thats the end of the over. 25 of it"
These are the lines I remember as of now. But there are few more that are not relevant to the game situation.

You forgot the line “the bowler is taking an absolute pounding here” always makes me feel uneasy that one.

“There we go 6 sixes in a row the crowd is on its feet I’m on my feet and so is David” The crowd is more or less silent and so is David? And within seconds all is back to normal.

“What do you know about this bowler David?” always the same response every bowler seems to be the same but doesn’t add up when it’s a medium bowler, bowling with “pace?”

I remember the commentator saying KP has a bright future ahead of him and Shane Watson will frighten the batsman with his pace.

“Oh call the nurse” a repetitive phase never heard it on real commentary before or seen one on the pitch before either come to think about it.

“Hold the phone” – sounds like it should be followed by “oh no you didn’t just go there girlfriend”.

Dave has seen my emails!

This is word perfect and BA should only focus on this post for commentary on DBC16 :)

Thirded. Motion carried.

It's all in the writing/script that the talent is reading. My advice would be to get someone watching, listening and taking notes on how the better commentary teams around the world spend barely anytime describing what's happening (we can see that) and add nuance to the overall status of the game, especially in-game rivalries where a particular bowler is doing well. Listen to the commentary from that Tim Southee spell against England in the World Cup as a prime example of good commentary that was less about Tim Southee and more about the movement he was generating, the match scenario, the batsmen making poor choices and so on.

One question. If BA had to add syncing of Real world FTP in the game, will there be a licensing issue ?

One question. If BA had to add syncing of Real world FTP in the game, will there be a licensing issue ?
There is no real world FTP - at least nothing that is vaguely recognisable as the goal it originally had.

The good thing about the lack of licensing is that we don't have to follow the terrible state of the real world - makes it possible to actually have teams all play each other and to actually have a fair rankings system because the teams are playing more than half the test nations...

perhaps you could add a wcl-style thing for smaller cricketing countries: perhaps with a promotion/relegation-style thing that isn't at all realistic but would make playing for smaller international nations actually interesting. You might have to add a few more nations to flesh it out a bit but I'd guess that we'd see Nepal and Hong Kong (and maybe Oman as well since they managed to qualify for the World T20 despite playing in WCL Division 5...) added in the next game and none of the other nations removed and it might work with that number of associate nations. I know this is pie-in-the-sky sort of stuff and would never be added (actually having a fully rotating tour programme with ICC tournaments would be step 1 to do) but I can dream that in a bunch of releases I could play as a Scottish international without having to remove a team and thus make things a little unrealistic...

Career mode is where I think the greatest chances are for change: and if they implement things which other sports games have (dynamic lineups, regens, etcetera) then we should have something genuinely great: seeing that cricket is one of the sports where it actually could work very well - the only other one that comes to mind is Baseball in that they are comparatively solitary sports.

The advantages of not having any licences is the fact that we can talk about this sort of stuff as an unlikely possibility, rather than it being impossible!

Is the bowling meter a tad arbitrary? When bowling you have to try and change it around a bit - so slap bang in the middle of the green arc is perfect. Within that "jump input" arc there's room to manoeuvre, to pitch a bit deeper or a bit short. Too trigger-happy and the meter is yellow "early" and you can expect your half-tracker to get smashed around the ground. Bad ball, it happens. But trying to bowl just a fraction of a second too late and....it's a no ball. Which is mortifying in real life, captain says to you "get your run up sorted, or you're off", and you won't do it again unless you were drinking to excess the night before. In DB I feel unjustly punished with a no-ball when I'm trying to be aggressive, or creative. Could there be a small zone that is light red "late" but not a no-ball. And then beyond that a deep red "late - were you drinking last night" no-ball zone. As astalker on these pages, I'm surprised this isn't raised with venom regularly so perhaps like real life maybe I'm just shite at bowling

Last edited: 1 minute ago

Is the bowling meter a tad arbitrary? When bowling you have to try and change it around a bit - so slap bang in the middle of the green arc is perfect. Within that "jump input" arc there's room to manoeuvre, to pitch a bit deeper or a bit short. Too trigger-happy and the meter is yellow "early" and you can expect your half-tracker to get smashed around the ground. Bad ball, it happens. But trying to bowl just a fraction of a second too late and....it's a no ball. Which is mortifying in real life, captain says to you "get your run up sorted, or you're off", and you won't do it again unless you were drinking to excess the night before. In DB I feel unjustly punished with a no-ball when I'm trying to be aggressive, or creative. Could there be a small zone that is light red "late" but not a no-ball. And then beyond that a deep red "late - were you drinking last night" no-ball zone. As astalker on these pages, I'm surprised this isn't raised with venom regularly so perhaps like real life maybe I'm just shite at bowling

Last edited: 1 minute ago
Try bowling without the meter: just watch your stride placement and the bowlers arm: more realystic, more satisfying and more variations....

MattW, I was looking at the new sticky thread for feedback. I would like to attach a 16.7mb pdf file that contains all the info I wrote. I couldn't upload it directly, so should I rather provide a link to the file on my google drive and post on that thread?

Every time you are making 100 For commentator this your debut century and your career is always bright .

Users who are viewing this thread