Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

I agree, the English cricket season has just finished so it will be quiet for a couple of weeks until we fly out to Aus, leave it until then and we'll all be really up for cricket again.

No point announcing something when another major sporting date on the calender is around the same date, leave it until after the NRL final and then i think we'll see lots of activity!

Mind you if they did advertise at half time or full time at the NRL final( I'm assuming that's the end of season) then it'll give people a heads up heading into cricket season. Something like:

The tight footy shorts are off, the funny shaped balls have been put away.....

It's time for hard balls and big bats!!!!!

Big ant presents.....

DB14.

it's certainly been a long road for BOTH titles from announcement to release...

One missed, one a mystery.

I joined here on the 13th October last year and it's been a long year for those on here for sure, no where near as long as the development itself but I now think too long for the majority. Of those that have hung in there for the long haul and stayed interested I can only hope that they will be satisfied that they have been a real part of the development process and have demonstrably shaped the product.

I'm not so sure that there has been that much longer between announcement and delivery compared to the industry norm, however the norm is also to generally announce the title and then come back much closer to release. For those outside this forum, at best they may have seen a press release of Don Bradman Cricket 14 and the next they will see will be the trailer and pre-order campaign. Ignorance is bliss :)

On the other stuff being talked about, it's a complete mystery to me... I fully expected a one liner saying sorry, something came up and I can't deliver as predicted. Pretty simple, you guys would get it, we all screw up every now and again, especially trying to predict the time taken to write software.

It's nice to know that in some way we on PC have helped with the game somehow, there are a few people on here who seem to be as passionate about the sport as I am. I think that's why my attention shifted to Bigant in May/June because u seem to have been tryin to make a game worthy of the game for fans if the game, rather than a game about a game!!

PS for a moment reading the speech I thought you were gonna give us the date!!!

at best they may have seen a press release of Don Bradman Cricket 14 and the next they will see will be the trailer and pre-order campaign. Ignorance is bliss :).

pre-orders???

Yeah, unless there is something you really want as an accessory then I don't understand why anyone would pre-order anything... that said the sold out PS4 has caught some people out :)

Well since at least 4 posts of mine got deleted in the other thread trying to discuss batting....i figured we can have a discussion here probably. This is what hbk said...

Ok, so first off, I think people need to get the ideas and concepts of past cricket games out of their heads and remember that this is different to anything ever before (at least as far as I know anyway!).

There is no 'lofted shot' button.

So this was what someone said earlier:
You want the ability to loft every delivery if you choose.

You definitely have the 'ability' to do so. Whether you 'will', is another thing.

Every cricket player in the real world has the 'ability' to loft every ball. But obviously there are factors that play against that happening. Whether this person was saying they want a button to do so or not, I'm not 100% clear, but you DO have the 'ability' to loft shots if the circumstances line up. Just like real cricket though, if you mis-time, are out of position, edge it, get a great delivery, etc. etc. etc. you won't be able to loft the ball (or you might, but it could be a pissy shot).

As for how you can play a lofted shot if the opportunity arises, you can generally loft the ball from almost any shot modifier other than the defensive one.

Hopefully that clears up at least some of the confusion. Really, it's very hard to tell much more without you knowing how everything works (and I don't want to spoil it either!;)).

What do you guys think this lofted shot is implemented? From his post it seems like the aggressive button gets used as both along the ground and lofted shots. While defensive button is for blocking and nudges. Mikey already confirmed pressing neither buttons will make the batsman play a normal cricket shot like a drive or flick and stuffs. But how do you guys think they implemented the aggressive button to differentiate between along the ground and lofted shot?

I joined here on the 13th October last year and it's been a long year for those on here for sure, no where near as long as the development itself but I now think too long for the majority. Of those that have hung in there for the long haul and stayed interested I can only hope that they will be satisfied that they have been a real part of the development process and have demonstrably shaped the product...

I think I speak for all a good majority of folks here when I say that's been the most interesting, enlightening and exciting part of the last year or so knowing that you not only valued our opinion, but consistently stuck with us and became more a part of the forum than a suit in an office. I certainly view you more as a forum member, one of us now. Another character here to add to our pantheon of fun people. The "journey" as you described it a while ago has been one of more fulfilling parts of being a regular member here recently, because we've played a fairly insignificant but still rewarding part of that journey. For us as a group of hard-core fans to have our opinions and thoughts listened to and often implemented in the game, is infinitely more rewarding than anything we've experienced in the past.

For that alone, you'll always have my respect and gratitude.

Does this mean you could block and nudge your way to a hundred by using the defensive button/trigger/bumper??? Blockerdave will love that!!!! 2 days at the crease for 101*...

Does this mean you could block and nudge your way to a hundred by using the defensive button/trigger/bumper??? Blockerdave will love that!!!! 2 days at the crease for 101*...

Ah, it's like Geoffrey boycott all over again!

Well said Biggs, I agree with you on all of it mate.
The only problems has been well ashes 2013, part of me wishers there was no ashes 2013 to begin with and all of are focus would be on DB14 as it should be.

It's been a long hard and enjoyable year with so many highs and all of them here not the other part of the forum.
PS Still can't wait for the greatest part to start, THE MARKETING.:clap

----------

Well since at least 4 posts of mine got deleted in the other thread trying to discuss batting....i figured we can have a discussion here probably. This is what hbk said...

What do you guys think this lofted shot is implemented? From his post it seems like the aggressive button gets used as both along the ground and lofted shots. While defensive button is for blocking and nudges. Mikey already confirmed pressing neither buttons will make the batsman play a normal cricket shot like a drive or flick and stuffs. But how do you guys think they implemented the aggressive button to differentiate between along the ground and lofted shot?

This for me is simple Isrararrafi, just think same as real cricket mate.
Ok like HBK said up above, just time the shot like you would if you were out there. If the ball is a Yorker then hard to loft the ball because you can't get under the ball. PS Maybe this will be the first cricket game where you hit the ball hard into the ground and over the fielders heads, because you try to hit the ball to hard and just dragged the ball down.

Ah, it's like Geoffrey boycott all over again!

Boycott played the occasional shot, BD would do no such thing!!!!!

And agree with Biggs' sweeping literary post!!! We've had out ups and downs, but Ross has stuck by his word, gave us insight, hope and even a bobblehead or 2 for fun. Just the final turn for the sprint to the finish, and we're all behind you for those final furlongs!!!
As colonials go, you bigant guys are ok!!!

Yes, I can see it now. BD the draw masters saves test with 200 not out of 1000 balls.:D

Agree with Biggs. And as he suggested, Ross in one of us now. So, Ross, we only have a small ritual left, after which you will be completely accepted in our tribe. In order to complete that ritual, we will need to have the DBC'14 game released though. So, my dear, ... ahem ahem ... you know the drill ;) :p

P.S: Don't worry. There is a small tribal dance party, too, after the ceremony! Cheers, drinks on me!

Last edited:
Agree with Biggs. And as he suggested, Ross in one of us now. So, Ross, we only have a small ritual left, after which you will be completely accepted in our tribe. In order to complete that ritual, we will need to have the DBC'14 game released though. So, my dear, ... ahem ahem ... you know the drill ;) :p

Nice try mate, how about a date for the play-sessions would be ok.:D

Users who are viewing this thread