Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

@ajh - that's because boycott had some shots, I have none.

true story, my highest score in real life cricket was made coming in at number 3. it was a 40 over game, I came in after 2 balls of the 3rd over and batted through the innings...

... for 54 not out. I even blocked out the last over to make sure I could get the red ink!

-------

@israr - I think they have said one of the analogue sticks controls the bat? I guess a "loft" shot will involve the angle we move it at? because that's how we'd do it in real life. an aggressive along the ground drive and an aggressive lofted drive are identical except the angle of the bat on the follow through. so i'm told.

Last edited:
@israr - I think they have said one of the analogue sticks controls the bat? I guess a "loft" shot will involve the angle we move it at? because that's how we'd do it in real life. an aggressive along the ground drive and an aggressive lofted drive are identical except the angle of the bat on the follow through. so i'm told.

I think this has been denied. Of what I remember, one of the analogue sticks (don't exactly remember whether it was the left one or the right one) controls the foot controls, while the other one, and I quote, controls the 'direction of the shot'.

37 ov for 54!!!!! Bloody hell!!! Have to say a few innings like that would've saved my avg this year!!! Had my best year bowling but only managed a top score of 47, off about 30 balls!! 14 avg with bat and ball!!!

37 ov for 54!!!!! Bloody hell!!! Have to say a few innings like that would've saved my avg this year!!! Had my best year bowling but only managed a top score of 47, off about 30 balls!! 14 avg with bat and ball!!!

hell of a bowling average though. in fact, in our team that would have made you an all rounder!

one of the analogue sticks (don't exactly remember whether it was the left one or the right one) controls the foot controls, while the other one, and I quote, controls the 'direction of the shot'.

direction could be up/down as well as left/right/front/back

I don't see how else they can do it - it can't be timing, mistiming it and chipping it in the air is not the same as a lofted shot which you could time perfectly. but if it's to do with direction, that reflects real life.

^^^in ours I've been relegated to just a bowler now!!! Battings gone to pot!!! Be lucky to bat at 8 next year. Started as no5, can bowl a bit!!! Hadn't played for 10 yrs, used to be wkt/ bat!!!

@ajh - that's because boycott had some shots, I have none.

true story, my highest score in real life cricket was made coming in at number 3. it was a 40 over game, I came in after 2 balls of the 3rd over and batted through the innings...

... for 54 not out. I even blocked out the last over to make sure I could get the red ink!

-------

Like someone said, mikey confirmed the other stick controls the direction of the shot, not the bat itself. About aggressive lofted shots, i would assume the player has to move the bat a bit early to get under the ball to get the elevation also. Might be wrong though.

And my highest score was something around 80 not out....played it in 2 days (40 overs a day) with the last two wickets to draw the game. So yes....

tumblr_lmmtg07eGR1qdvriwo1_500.gif

Best design I've seen (but never got to play with) was a dual stick approach where the LHS represents the weight of the player, and the RHS controls the bat.
So you set yourself with LHS and play a two-movement shot with the RHS.

So you can "lean" forwards or back, left and right as the bowler approaches, anticipating, and then set the starting point of the stroke, followed by direction and power depending on the speed of your RHS action.

Late adjustments are possible, but your balance would be off and the shot could be compromised.

Very hardcore and would take a LOT of practice, plus wouldn't work at realtime speed (FAR too hard), but in a slightly slow-mo scenario would work well for those with the patience to master it. (Would probably be a second option, with a simpler mechanic for more casual players).

I'd love to have a go on something like that.

EDIT: If you've not tried this: www.foddy.net/Cricket.html then you're missing out. Most enjoyable and realistic batting representation ever captured in a game IMO. Closest thing to feeling like proper "Cricket" I've played.

Last edited:
Like someone said, mikey confirmed the other stick controls the direction of the shot, not the bat itself. About aggressive lofted shots, i would assume the player has to move the bat a bit early to get under the ball to get the elevation also. Might be wrong though.

And my highest score was something around 80 not out....played it in 2 days (40 overs a day) with the last two wickets to draw the game. So yes....

tumblr_lmmtg07eGR1qdvriwo1_500.gif

but direction of the shot can mean up/down, as well as left/right/front/back, no? I hope it has nothing to do with timing,

----------

EDIT: If you've not tried this: Little Master Cricket then you're missing out. Most enjoyable and realistic batting representation ever captured in a game IMO. Closest thing to feeling like proper "Cricket" I've played.

not easy with a trackpad Chief!!!

Best design I've seen (but never got to play with) was a dual stick approach where the LHS represents the weight of the player, and the RHS controls the bat.
So you set yourself with LHS and play a two-movement shot with the RHS.

So you can "lean" forwards or back, left and right as the bowler approaches, anticipating, and then set the starting point of the stroke, followed by direction and power depending on the speed of your RHS action.

Late adjustments are possible, but your balance would be off and the shot could be compromised.

Very hardcore and would take a LOT of practice, plus wouldn't work at realtime speed (FAR too hard), but in a slightly slow-mo scenario would work well for those with the patience to master it. (Would probably be a second option, with a simpler mechanic for more casual players).

I'd love to have a go on something like that.

EDIT: If you've not tried this: Little Master Cricket then you're missing out. Most enjoyable and realistic batting representation ever captured in a game IMO. Closest thing to feeling like proper "Cricket" I've played.

Thanks chief I must say that little game is just so enjoyable, I got 42 so far as best score.

PS Ross can you beat this game as it's better than ashes 2013 I bet.:lol(joke chief) Also mini games like this in the nets would rock.

This blockerdave talk just gave me an idea

I just had a thought about career mode and I think I haven't seen it mentioned before. But say if you were playing a test. And you were batting very slowly to get to a milestone but the team had plenty of runs on the board already. Would there be a chance the captain would declare on you when you were in the 90s?

Well hbk just confirmed we can chip over the infield by controllin the power

I think this calls for a shot...

----------

This blockerdave talk just gave me an idea

I just had a thought about career mode and I think I haven't seen it mentioned before. But say if you were playing a test. And you were batting very slowly to get to a milestone but the team had plenty of runs on the board already. Would there be a chance the captain would declare on you when you were in the 90s?

Our expectations keep getting crazier :p

Then we can run out that captain in next innings by calling a run and cancelling it after few steps. New achievement unlocked: Vengeance is mine.

Last edited:
Slow scoring and running out your skipper:

Geoff Boycott's cricket!!!!

Since when would Ross miss an opportunity to sledge if he *knew*? :)

I haven't changed my sig or avatar in ages, being a bit cheeky or having a jab here or there I thought was ok but some people took things too far so I believe I have toned it down a lot.

I think it's fair to say that we all know that if Ashes 2013 passes TRC's then it is to be put in a box regardless. As would have been the case last time too if had obtained approval during the English Ashes series.

People on here gave MikeF the benefit of the doubt, they have been welcoming, kind and forgiving, he has treated them poorly and with disrespect. The current issues are entirely of his own making.

Users who are viewing this thread