Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

No one assumes that at all, that's an incorrect assumption on your part.

We also have data on the Xbox and PS3 torrents/Academy usage - not even close to the PC numbers, on PS3 it's almost insignificant.

----------

At this point I would say that we have committed to PC versions and so we will still make them for our games. It may change the timing though, two months is probably not long enough it seems. Make no mistake, I want the sales to be better on PC.

Interesting. I guess I should just give this debate up on here shouldn't I? Again, it's not my money in it, and it's easy for me to question how much of a problem it is.

----------

Good to hear that you'll continue to support the PC. Are you planning any steam sales later in the year, maybe around international tournaments, to boost sales and get the word out about the game?

Whut?

That's Facts.

That's almighty tweaked.

Any of us who paid for this game have absolutely, unequivocally every right to do whatever it takes to burn these stealing assholes to the ground, they're ACTUALLY ruining the development of this brand before our very eyes.

Unbelievable.

They are scum, utter dirty scum, but I'm not convinced that they would have bought the game. My point is meant to be that the key is converting the pirates to customers somehow, and I get it becomes very emotional, but I just think a different way of looking at it's needed.

Again, I'm not the one with the money on the line, and hence it's easy for me to feel differently.

but I'm not convinced that they would have bought the game.

It's irrelevant. They're STEALING IT NOW. If 10% of them go out and buy it tomorrow, there's still 70% of them breaking the LAW! It's a ridiculous statistic and my original faux-joke kinda makes me a bit sick now.

If we find out in 6 - 10 months time there won't be DLC for DBC14 or (worse) a DBC15 you can point to that stat, blame India, and there's absolutely no way it's not true. It's disgusting.

I'd be surprised if there's money to be made in supporting PC development for any titles, to be honest. You can take a loss on the Platforms to launch a franchise, but those kinda numbers on PC are irreversible.

Ultimately though the game needs to succeed in the UK and Australia for there to be another version. I can't believe Ross was banking on substantial Indian sales to prolong the franchise.
The Indian piracy thing is obviously appalling but low sales in the key markets are what will prevent future versions as far as I can see.

I think the Australian stats are pretty decent, you UK folk could do with supporting it a bit more... For King and Country, dammit.

TMy point is meant to be that the key is converting the pirates to customers somehow, and I get it becomes very emotional, but I just think a different way of looking at it's needed.

i don't think there is any possible way to convert any of them except by one of the following approaches:

1)crack specific bugs, restricted access to online features, downloads etc. so that they can see how much less an experience they get by pirating rather than buying - which big ant seem to be already doing

2)deciding that PC isn't worth it, restricting it to consoles where piracy is significantly less, and hoping to convert as many as possible PC pirates into console customers. (i said 10%, which in the indian context would still be great numbers).

but you seemed to have a problem with both of those approaches. so what would you do?

----------

I think the Australian stats are pretty decent, you UK folk could do with supporting it a bit more... For King and Country, dammit.

biggest problem in the UK is you simply cannot see/find the game anywhere. not so much an issue for the PC version due to steam, but on console it's rarer than rocking horse shit.

we've had the debate about whether it's the publisher/distributor/retailer/bill from marketing's fault, and there seems to be a distributor change and a recent post from Ross saying it should be easier to find here, but i would guess the UK console sales will have inevitably suffered from its invisibility.

true story - i found PC, and ultimate discovered DBC, because i was looking for info on the Ashes Game (around the time of the first or second Ashes delay). if not for this site, I would have no idea about DBC.

It's irrelevant. They're STEALING IT NOW. If 10% of them go out and buy it tomorrow, there's still 70% of them breaking the LAW! It's a ridiculous statistic and my original faux-joke kinda makes me a bit sick now.

If we find out in 6 - 10 months time there won't be DLC for DBC14 or (worse) a DBC15 you can point to that stat, blame India, and there's absolutely no way it's not true. It's disgusting.

I'd be surprised if there's money to be made in supporting PC development for any titles, to be honest. You can take a loss on the Platforms to launch a franchise, but those kinda numbers on PC are irreversible.

Where did I ever say they weren't? They are scum, why keep harking on about that side of it, the issue is the sales and if somehow the company can convert Pirates to sales, it'll go a long way. Again, pirates are scum, but I'm not convinced that even 10% of them would have actually bought them if they had never had the chance to pirate it. The key now though is to build a profile for the brand and slowly squeeze them into the legal sales side.

Speaking of figures though. I'd be very interest to hear from @BigAntStudios how bad the piracy figures is if you take India out of the mix.

----------

i don't think there is any possible way to convert any of them except by one of the following approaches:

1)crack specific bugs, restricted access to online features, downloads etc. so that they can see how much less an experience they get by pirating rather than buying - which big ant seem to be already doing

2)deciding that PC isn't worth it, restricting it to consoles where piracy is significantly less, and hoping to convert as many as possible PC pirates into console customers. (i said 10%, which in the indian context would still be great numbers).

but you seemed to have a problem with both of those approaches. so what would you do?

----------

biggest problem in the UK is you simply cannot see/find the game anywhere. not so much an issue for the PC version due to steam, but on console it's rarer than rocking horse shit.

we've had the debate about whether it's the publisher/distributor/retailer/bill from marketing's fault, and there seems to be a distributor change and a recent post from Ross saying it should be easier to find here, but i would guess the UK console sales will have inevitably suffered from its invisibility.

true story - i found PC, and ultimate discovered DBC, because i was looking for info on the Ashes Game (around the time of the first or second Ashes delay). if not for this site, I would have no idea about DBC.

I love the idea of crack specific bugs. That's a great way of going about things. Since when did I say otherwise? It feels like you've worked yourself up and are now just in attack mode.

Getting rid of the PC version would be devastating though, hurting paying customers for the pirates is the worst possible way to try and "fix" things.

I think that a targeted marketing strategy for the next game will be very important for increased sales.

if not for this site, I would have no idea about DBC.

Irony is without the Ashes 13 forum and @Chief I doubt we'd have Ross here at all and we'd prolly know less about the game and therefore, who knows how well sales would be. I think PC.net has gone a long way to helping the game, but it's very small percentages.

Ultimately, to justify PC support and investment people have to buy the game, you can try and fudge the numbers any-which-way but the fact remains, it's getting shafted by folks in India stealing the game. If we believe in the product, as a collective, we HAVE to encourage people to support it with their wallets otherwise it'll be another 5 - 10 years until we see another PC supported cricket title of this kinda quality again.

Ultimately though the game needs to succeed in the UK and Australia for there to be another version. I can't believe Ross was banking on substantial Indian sales to prolong the franchise.
The Indian piracy thing is obviously appalling but low sales in the key markets are what will prevent future versions as far as I can see.

I'd be very interested to know how the piracy looks with India out of the picture. To be honest I never thought that India would sell well at all, 10% of legal sales coming from there is actually a shock to me. Hopefully with some hooked, introduced bugs can force a few to buy it.

I'd be very interested to know how the piracy looks with India out of the picture.

Explain to me what possible difference does that make?

The main problem in India mainly with piracy is that they don't understand the term's seriousness...It has become part of every body's lives here...Its like they never use the term piracy as they think everything they are doing is legitimate as no one there to stop and tell that this is wrong and this thing is affecting the lives of the creators...Everyone is willing to get things either at the most minimal cost or for free and parents not aware of such things and are happy to give that minimum amount they demand and not burn their pockets...If kids or the gamers know the seriousness of piracy then they would be asking the amount of say Rs.3799 for DBC 14 then only the parent is willing to ask what for as the amount now is big and even them not aware of it they suggest to buy the easier way as no rules for getting pirated copies from shops or even some bigger stores....Its like no crime done...If wanna get songs then torrent ,if movies then torrent ,if games then also torrent ....Its a part of their lives as they are buying or downloading stuffs from their childhood and are used to this [nothing wrong and nothing different according to them as the parents are not aware]...Here after me buying the game for PS3 for the amount guys tell that I am a fool to get one game at that amount..Its not only hard to listen but even harder to explain that they are doing wrong...

So what I am trying to say it would take atleast a generation or two for "Piracy" to be termed as wrong here by the parents [who are gamers now and have the thought of supporting a game by buying it legitimately] to their children and so on...So it is a process that needs tweaking for sure...Hope everyone comes to know its seriousness and start buying rather than stealing someone else's money...:yes:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread