Don Bradman Cricket 14 General Discussion

well, let's throw a bomb in here...

the game is unable to model realistic field setting
the fielding system in the game is such that when a ball goes to a fielder you don't know whether he will get there in one second or 10, regardless of the distance from him
the game will change the field setting almost every ball
there is no distance a fielder might have to cover that will have a negative impact on his ability to make a catch/stop a ball

it's only not unfit for sale because the quality of other elements of the game is so high that the game still works "overall". if not broken, it's as close to it as it could possibly be...

That's a huge bomb!

I think if anything is broken, it's the save game issue. As I've said before, there really should be an official line on the Big Ant website about this.

I wouldn't say that the fielding problems break the game. Its just not very good. I am still experiencing super human fielding almost every game. It does make it very hard to play the game, but I wouldn't say it's broken because of this. It just makes the game less good!

That's a huge bomb!

I think if anything is broken, it's the save game issue. As I've said before, there really should be an official line on the Big Ant website about this.

I wouldn't say that the fielding problems break the game. Its just not very good. I am still experiencing super human fielding almost every game. It does make it very hard to play the game, but I wouldn't say it's broken because of this. It just makes the game less good!
That's a huge bomb!

everything i said about the fielding system is true. (maybe the 10 seconds thing is an exaggeration.) there is no question that if all the systems in the game were of the quality of the AI fielding system the game would be unplayable.

there should be something about the save game issue on the BA website, but it's an issue affecting a minority of users on a single platform, the fielding system affects everyone. i agree they should prioritise the save game because it is game breaking for those who are affected, the fielding isn't game breaking but it does stand out as a not fit for purpose system within the game.

Two me the two biggest problems with DB14 are:-
(1) Inability to play shots along the ground
(2) career mode mandatory skill upgrading

Both these need to be fixed before the fielding as I believe they are "Game breakers" for a lot of players.

Most people can live 'short term' with the Keystone cops type fielding. It needs some attention but not before the listed problems IMHO.

Neil W

those are very very far from the biggest problems. this is a cricket game that doesn't know what a cricket field looks like, how an outfield behaves, or how the ball bounces off the pitch.

those are very very far from the biggest problems. this is a cricket game that doesn't know what a cricket field looks like, how an outfield behaves, or how the ball bounces off the pitch.

Forgot people not being able to get the get best teams even though they illegally downloaded it from utorrent...

the fielding isn't game breaking but it does stand out as a not fit for purpose system within the game.

It's the "slow runner" that is annoying, when you're the fielding team. There's always another player moving faster to the ball to cut it off, but it still gets two when it should really only be one. I had a couple of "jelly runners" online tonight... but it's swings and roundabouts because you benefit when you bat, which is nice, but they should get that tweaked.

It's the "slow runner" that is annoying, when you're the fielding team. There's always another player moving faster to the ball to cut it off, but it still gets two when it should really only be one. I had a couple of "jelly runners" online tonight... but it's swings and roundabouts because you benefit when you bat, which is nice, but they should get that tweaked.
I think everything about the AI fielding (by which I include user "auto" fielding) is not fit for purpose. I can hit the ball 20 metres to the let of a fielder, he may stop it so I can't get a single, he may get there allowing me a single, or he may stroll there like an asthmatic turtle allowing me an easy two - and it changes randomly. However, hit it high 70 yards to his right and he will get there and will catch it.

The game has reached the stage where it's playable but not enjoyable, with little niggles like the unwanted fielding changes etc.
I bought two versions, one for xbox and then one for ps3 as the xbox one wouldn't save, and now the niggles are spoiling even the ps3 version!
I know it's as a big pain to Big Ant as it is to us players, but surely the basic faults could be fixed and given to us soon, to at least give us a realistic playable game to be getting on with while the major problems are fixed...it's been a while now and my £80 is not looking such a good buy now

Last edited:
and it changes randomly

I think that's the main problem, I haven't seen any pattern to it. I've created some custom field sets for online play and have only noticed the "slow runner" affecting mid-on. I wonder if that's worth exploring a little more, seeing if creating custom fields can mitigate the slow-runners and/or target specific field positions maybe? Not really sure, but I've certainly noticed it less on my wacky field-sets against Matt.

IMO, the most annoying one is the constant need to re-set the field all the time for different batsman/bowler combinations. It's literally four trips to the menu to flip the switch for a consistent bowling plan...

I think that's the main problem, I haven't seen any pattern to it. I've created some custom field sets for online play and have only noticed the "slow runner" affecting mid-on. I wonder if that's worth exploring a little more, seeing if creating custom fields can mitigate the slow-runners and/or target specific field positions maybe? Not really sure, but I've certainly noticed it less on my wacky field-sets against Matt.

IMO, the most annoying one is the constant need to re-set the field all the time for different batsman/bowler combinations. It's literally four trips to the menu to flip the switch for a consistent bowling plan...

I've noticed the "slow runner" affecting just about every out field placing, if I'm batting or bowling. I agree it seems to affect the straight fielders more, but I had Deep Extra Cover WALK to the ball and the AI took 2 runs instead of it being a tight 1.

everything i said about the fielding system is true. (maybe the 10 seconds thing is an exaggeration.) there is no question that if all the systems in the game were of the quality of the AI fielding system the game would be unplayable.

there should be something about the save game issue on the BA website, but it's an issue affecting a minority of users on a single platform, the fielding system affects everyone. i agree they should prioritise the save game because it is game breaking for those who are affected, the fielding isn't game breaking but it does stand out as a not fit for purpose system within the game.

Yeah you are right, of course. The fielding is bad, really bad sometimes. There is a lot of good stuff in this game, and it is encouraging for the future. I'd like to see the fielding improved after they have sorted the saving issue out.

I know the save game issue is only affecting a minority, but if someone doesn't know about PC, then as far as they are concerned the game appears to be broken. It would just be nice if there was something on there saying that its being investigated. After all, its Big Ants name on the box, not Planet Cricket! Also, it would be great if someone could sticky a thread with fixes (like letting the demo run, save after first ball etc.) because it can be quite daunting for a new member trailing through thousands of posts to find their specific problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1407326830][/DOUBLEPOST]
I've noticed the "slow runner" affecting just about every out field placing, if I'm batting or bowling. I agree it seems to affect the straight fielders more, but I had Deep Extra Cover WALK to the ball and the AI took 2 runs instead of it being a tight 1.

When I'm bowling in career and this happens, I find that if I start to run towards the ball, then the fielder start to run again. May not work for you, but its worth giving it a go.

only one question please reply to this:
My system requirements :
2 gb ram
windows xp 32 bit
dual core processor
3.0 ghz and
no graphics card will the game work for me ? please anyone reply to this post!

Users who are viewing this thread