Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news Ross. Put a smile on my face this morning. I have been waiting for public response to DBC 14 more then the release date

I do like to see the positive sides of things. The good thing about the Ashes 13 fiasco is we will get an even more refined product in DBC 14 then we should have. But I do agree Trickster's are more harming cricket gaming then doing any good

Sachin's retirement test starts from Nov 14. Ashes starts in a week. This period would be the peak of the cricket season as far as I can see. Im sure every newspaper in the cricketing world would cover Sachin's story and I'm pretty sure they would mention Sir Don Bradman's name along. Advertising the game right below would be a good idea too.

But like every other non-BigAnt staff posts, mine too is just an opinion.

Are play sessions a regular thing in gaming? I have never really followed the launch of a game so closely. How much can we realistically get out of it, those of us not in Melbourne?

I mean, I assume nobody gets enought time on the game for more than a couple of over thrash, so can it really tell us anything meaningful about gameplay, AI depth etc? All were gonna get is a few more videos - or am I missing something? Happy to admit that in this instance I definitely don't get it - literally no idea what they achieve :)

Ross: Will there be many systems to play with in the play sessions?? And what systems will the game be played PC,PS3 or XBOX 360??:)

I mean, I assume nobody gets enought time on the game for more than a couple of over thrash, so can it really tell us anything meaningful about gameplay, AI depth etc? All were gonna get is a few more videos - or am I missing something? Happy to admit that in this instance I definitely don't get it - literally no idea what they achieve
That's basically it - especially as you wouldn't want to be keeping a bunch of people waiting behind you, if you're lucky enough to be able to do single player in the first place.

Gameplay is really something for longer reviews after having the game for a few weeks at least - but you can probably get an idea of how the controls feel, how naturally the batting and bowling come to you in a shorter space of time.

A few people on here went to the sessions for Big Ant's AFL game so they might have a better picture.

I am more interested in knowing about Matt?s visit to the Bigant studios. Any update on that?

Funny thing: Ashes Cricket 2013 price of 20$ might well be the price of entering the DBC 14 play session...:lol:lol:D

That's basically it - especially as you wouldn't want to be keeping a bunch of people waiting behind you, if you're lucky enough to be able to do single player in the first place.

Gameplay is really something for longer reviews after having the game for a few weeks at least - but you can probably get an idea of how the controls feel, how naturally the batting and bowling come to you in a shorter space of time.

A few people on here went to the sessions for Big Ant's AFL game so they might have a better picture.

so... and apologies if i am sounding uber cynical / raining on the parade, but for the vast majority of us (those not in Melbourne) they are next to useless. I mean, the same could be achieved by simply releasing "actual" gameplay footage (as opposed to set up scenarios, I mean). what i'm driving at, is i don't see how anyone gets anything out of it - except the store hosting it, who may get more people in that day and they might buy something else/pre-order DBC there on the day. but the rest of the consumers, even big ant, don't really get anything out of it? are they a common thing?

as mattw said you wouldn't completely get the idea of ai and all ,but you'll definitely know how the game feels,how the controls have been implemented,gameplay to some extent etc.you do get a good idea about the game with in the first few minutes of playing it.you'd want some reviews out of it mainly though.more interested in matt's visit.

even big ant, don't really get anything out of it? are they a common thing?
Well you prove the game exists, which gets you further along than some people.

Being able to ask a question to Ross and him being able to directly show you something on the game is something fairly unique to play sessions. On top of that the reactions from people will be genuine, even if they don't have much time - it's still a good way to make sure it doesn't all fall apart at the first hurdle.

I've never been to this kind of thing, but it's fairly common to have game stores with kiosks set up with a game running - this is a pre-release version of that.

I think it falls under the 'better than nothing' category, and I'd expect this is not the only form of visuals they'll be releasing.

Funny thing: Ashes Cricket 2013 price of 20$ might well be the price of the DBC 14 play session...
Well it might get you half the way to paying for parking.

I think what, 50-100 people will get their hands on it? And I would seriously question the value of the review they can give based on 5 minutes. I know it looks good, I know it's got innovative controls I need to get used to: stuff like AI field setting/scoring rates, career mode, whether you can really 'feel' different conditions etc. this is what the unknowns are and these sessions won't even scratch the surface.

This guy doesn't get it, even a little bit.

I don't think there's any way to get a non-superficial review of a game unless someone spends weeks with it. So it's basically, do something like this to get a wider range of first impressions, or expect people to buy the game totally blind on all counts to then review it in detail afterward.

I'd suggest to just read anything that comes out of this with the awareness of what limits someone had in time playing it to come to their conclusions.

especially as you wouldn't want to be keeping a bunch of people waiting behind you...

Say what? You're doing this all wrong... Hold that controller until they remove it from your bloodied hands, while the queue of people grows ever longer staring at the back of your t-shirt emblazoned with the text;

"PlanetCricket.net ...get it line, b#tches"​

Seriously though, play sessions are fun. Went to a Grand Turismo one years ago, had a blast and you generally have a bunch of consoles running and are usually allowed around 5mins to explore. Advice would be to turn up early to queue while it's quiet and you usually get a bit longer. There's also occasionally in-store bonuses when you sign-up to preorder at these things that you wouldn't get through a normal pre-order type thing, so worth getting along if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread