Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that most people find it hard to understand the disadvantage of releasing before said $20 game. As long before as possible.
At various points you've talked about timing for the cricket season but you seem to be suggesting that timing of your rival's product is more important. Equally there seems to be a contradiction between talking about building a franchise and describing competing with Ashes Cricket, a clearly inferior game, as suicide.

this... Especially when it coincides with the biggest cricket event in the two biggest markets for 12-18 Months

----------

Apparently not if 505 decide to dump AC13 onto the Christmas market at below cost.

Obviously i said it for the wrong reasons, tee em, but that's what i said weeks ago...

I know nothing about the software industry but taking it from a business point of view I don't think any business makes something and then holds off on distribution to "spite" it's customers, I like everyone else am clucking to play the game but also I'm looking forward to playing future versions equally as much. It's a good point made by ross( and I'm not being sycophantic) ask yourselves, do you want this game right now, and to hell with the future, or do we want this game to be successful enough for all concerned to make a sequel?? Considering the amount of suggestions many on here have made, there's plenty of ideas for the sequel, hopefully well give em enough reason and success to make it too!

Like the 2 bulls on a hill, looking down at some cows, do we run down and shag one of the cows, or walk down and shag em all?

Well the good news is that I'm off on holiday tomorrow so you can all spend the time going round in circles some more ;)
I'll expect a release date (for anything; Nicholas Cage Cricket will do) on my return.

I know nothing about the software industry but taking it from a business point of view I don't think any business makes something and then holds off on distribution to "spite" it's customers, I like everyone else am clucking to play the game but also I'm looking forward to playing future versions equally as much. It's a good point made by ross( and I'm not being sycophantic) ask yourselves, do you want this game right now, and to hell with the future, or do we want this game to be successful enough for all concerned to make a sequel?? Considering the amount of suggestions many on here have made, there's plenty of ideas for the sequel, hopefully well give em enough reason and success to make it too!

Like the 2 bulls on a hill, looking down at some cows, do we run down and shag one of the cows, or walk down and shag em all?

Run down and trample on Fagin.

In my opinion db14 is quite clearly coming next year now

Nothing wrong with that mind due, I have a lot of other stuff to entertain me till then, ps4, gta 5 still going strong

Just really surprised how ashes 13 is having the impact it is considering what we actually know of the game.

To me it is simple, if they release close together Ross knows ashes will sell more even though ashes game is most likely absolute poop, but the name will sell.

I reckon Ross is hearing that ashes is releasing and it has thrown him off guard a bit.

I can't wait for the $hit to hit the the fan if and when db goes into next year, let's see what the fan boys do then.

AC13 is only listed at $20 for imports and in the UK - the only major market without a major retailer taking preorders for DB14.

On the other hand, here in Australia all local retailers have the PC version of AC13 at a list price of ~$60, a normal price for a new game. The console editions are also not particularly cut price either, lower than the normal RRP, but not orders of magnitude.

I can't see how a low price in one market on one platform of a game that doesn't look likely to release would cause such a huge impact.

@Barmy First in the market for how long?

@BD If you're the cleverest man in the room then there is indeed no hope for the rest of us :p

AC13 is only listed at $20 for imports and in the UK - the only major market without a major retailer taking preorders.

On the other hand, here in Australia all local retailers have the PC version of the game at a list price of ~$60, a normal price for a new game. The console editions are also not particularly cut price either, lower than the normal RRP, but not orders of magnitude.

I can't see how a low price in one market on one platform of a game that doesn't look likely to release would cause such a huge impact.

Are we talking Australian dollars here?

It's around $26 AUD for PC and the lowest is around $48 AUD for consoles (at Amazon - Game have it for nearly $57 AUD).

Edit: just figured out you're not talking about retail price lol

Last edited:
AC13 is only listed at $20 for imports and in the UK - the only major market without a major retailer taking preorders.

On the other hand, here in Australia all local retailers have the PC version of the game at a list price of ~$60, a normal price for a new game. The console editions are also not particularly cut price either, lower than the normal RRP, but not orders of magnitude.

The import shops are saying $20 locally, they will impact the EB's and JB's of this world.

I wish you were a retail buyer, life would be a lot easier, I'd just sell all our inventory to you at full price regardless of the competition, job done :)

----------

Are we talking Australian dollars here?

It's around $26 AUD for PC and the lowest is around $48 AUD for consoles (at Amazon - Game have it for nearly $57 AUD).

*If* the console version makes it out then it will not hold that price because of the PC versions pricing.

I don't think anyone (reasonable) thinks Ross is trying to spite us, and i think we all (or most of us) agree with him when he says his game is the best cricket game ever based on what we saw at the play session.

But equally, as Barmy said, we don't see how beating Ashes to releasing is suicide, but potentially releasing a week or two after isn't?

Well the good news is that I'm off on holiday tomorrow so you can all spend the time going round in circles some more ;)
I'll expect a release date (for anything; Nicholas Cage Cricket will do) on my return.

Have a good one barmy, hope your goin somewhere warmer than here, I just saw a brass monkey crying his eyes out!!

@Barmy First in the market for how long

Well I think you could have had 4 weeks with an early November release and still 2 had you been releasing this week. Those are pretty pessimistic estimates to my mind but with my marketing hat on I would have three considerations:
1. Once the Ashes starts there are going to be people who want to play along, recreate it etc.
2. The "date" for Ashes Cricket is late November. Knowing what we know about their delivery issues I think it would be safe to assume slippage of one or two weeks working on the assumption that the game was actually going to deliver.
3. When can I give my game the most clear water?

It just seems to me that the longer you wait the more you increase your chances of what you are seeking to avoid. As I understand it the original strategy was to wait until people had played AC13 as per the June release and were picking holes in it and saying what they really wanted from a cricket and then to say "well, now you mention it" around early October time (possibly for a late October/early November release).
Obviously that changed due to events beyond your control but I think you've been over-fearful of the Ashes brand and effect on the market of a lower-cost, series-tie-in, branded alternative.
Clearly as the newcomer to the market you have all the disadvantages when it comes to exposure but I would have felt that having the game out by now might have overcome that.

Anyway ultimately you have a track record on bringing games to market and I'm certain there are factors that I'm unaware of and have been unable to account for. As a fan I'd love to be playing a new cricket game now but from a business point of view I can also see the pressures you're under now you have investors on-board and it's not just your money.
If PC was representative of the wider market you'd have no problems but I doubt we're even 0.001%.

----------

i'm usually "on the money".

----------

Have a good one barmy, hope your goin somewhere warmer than here, I just saw a brass monkey crying his eyes out!!

Cheers, southern Turkey. Should be low 20s C.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone (reasonable) thinks Ross is trying to spite us, and i think we all (or most of us) agree with him when he says his game is the best cricket game ever based on what we saw at the play session.

But equally, as Barmy said, we don't see how beating Ashes to releasing is suicide, but potentially releasing a week or two after isn't?

I can understand your point block, we here are familiar with DB, and know it looks a far better product but we're a fraction of the target audience, many of which, given the choice will take a cheaper game with licences over a game from a company they haven't heard of! People definitely won't buy both around Xmas, and with the ashes on tv, especially in the UK, AC will sell. Add to that, when people buy it and see its quality(or lack of) they won't be buying another cricket game, which lessens A) bigants initial profits and B) the chances of any sequels.
I've always tried to agree with the more sensible guys on PC, you, Dutch, Biggs, barmy and a few are the only posts I bother to read, but I think our excitement and exuberance is becoming negative. At the end if the day IMO, we've been given an honest explanation what the reasons behind release/delay, and we just gotta ride it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread