Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I officially challenge Dave to a blocking contest. I'm sure that I'm every bit as defensive with the bat as you are.

I once carried my bat for 8*; once we got to five wickets down I was so appalled by the strokes our top order had played to be dismissed that I consciously decided that carrying my bat was going to be my main goal in that innings. I was still so surly after the game; I refused to speak to any of the other members of my top order for four days afterwards, which certainly made them nervous given I was the Chairman of Selectors at my club.
*cough cough* Umm, how many overs was that 8* for? That's about 7 too many runs for me. I think you'll find that I might be first in line for a blocking contest.

I officially challenge Dave to a blocking contest. I'm sure that I'm every bit as defensive with the bat as you are.

I once carried my bat for 8*; once we got to five wickets down I was so appalled by the strokes our top order had played to be dismissed that I consciously decided that carrying my bat was going to be my main goal in that innings. I was still so surly after the game; I refused to speak to any of the other members of my top order for four days afterwards, which certainly made them nervous given I was the Chairman of Selectors at my club.

i can see i am in the presence of a master. i block more from being aware of my limitations and hating to get out than anything. if i think the ball is in the zone for my trademark "hoik to leg" i am prepared to chance my arm occasionally. as i mentioned before my top score is 54* made in 38 overs, where i played out a maiden in the last over to ensure i could walk off with the red ink.

also made a couple of 30s in 20-odd overs.

i actually like scoring runs, but i'm not very good and i hate getting out more than i like scoring, so i prefer not to take risks.

If it helps I once got bowled middle stump playing a reverse sweep...

i played a reverse sweep once. the opponents worked out i could only score on the leg side so packed the fielders that side. unable to break the shackles - think i was on 7 after about 16 overs, i hazarded a reverse sweep which thankfully missed everything.

*cough cough* Umm, how many overs was that 8* for? That's about 7 too many runs for me. I think you'll find that I might be first in line for a blocking contest.

40 or so, I believe.

If it helps, I opened the batting and wasn't off the mark yet when the fifth wicket fell, and the eight runs were all singles taken early in the over to aid myself in the quest for red ink glory. I was that mad at the rest of the top order.

i can see i am in the presence of a master. i block more from being aware of my limitations and hating to get out than anything.

Yes, this is/was me. I'm a bowler and that's what I'm selected for, particularly when I've played above your standard park cricket level. I have little natural aptitude for batting but I do have an extensive knowledge of the game and several family members who can really bat, which has allowed me for construct a decent defensive technique despite my lack of natural ability. As I result, when I play at lower levels I'm often asked to open the batting.

At the end of the day, aside from the fact that seeing off the new ball is/was basically my role anyway, I just really enjoy batting. Scoring runs is more enjoyable than not scoring any, but I just love being out there; blocking one out of the middle gives me as much satisfaction as smashing one to the fence, so minimising risk is likely to give me the most enjoyment out of my innings.

40 or so, I believe.

If it helps, I opened the batting and wasn't off the mark yet when the fifth wicket fell, and the eight runs were all singles taken early in the over to aid myself in the quest for red ink glory. I was that mad at the rest of the top order.
The day that I etched myself in the folklore of my club forever was last May. I had been out of the game for about two years with illness so I came in at number 7. Chasing about 270 we suddenly found ourselves 44 for 5 in over number 13. Then I was told to block for a draw. It was the day of the Champions League final so I was annoying my opposition by keeping them out there (annoying is an understatement). Eventually, after 15 consecutive maidens my partner hit a six then got caught next ball. After my attacking Asian teammates kept falling I eventually got a run and switched ends in over 40 out of 48. The draw was won with one over left and we got about 100.

I was always a defensive player, only caring about my wicket. However that was the day I became a BLOCKER. It happened about three more times last season, but I also held them up from winning a couple of times.

That's my blocking life story for you. To be honest, I just want to be out in the middle. I got out once in the first ten overs and I just didn't know what to do with myself, so ended with about 10 not outs. My highest score was 60 I think. But when my teammates bat well, they got at 7 an over.

Last edited:
Were these "blocking" innings half as dull as this discussion on them?....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread