Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's not to like about steam? Dem sales.

It took me a while to come around to it.. just bought 10 games yesterday for under $5 as a part of one of those bundle deals you find around the place more and more. Not the biggest and the best, but definately going to get my 1 hour per 10c value for money outta it, even if I don't even use all the games.

What's not to like about steam? Dem sales.

Yeah, I have saved so much money with them but at the same time, they can be a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, you could find a game you've been tracking for a while, but on the other you could end up buying games you don't really want if you see what I mean? I have bought many games on Steam that I still haven't played.

Overall though, Steam and its sales are a Good Thing. Indeed, were it not for Steam I am not sure what state the PC gaming scene would be in right now.

Overall though, Steam and its sales are a Good Thing. Indeed, were it not for Steam I am not sure what state the PC gaming scene would be in right now.

Well, really it's just replaced the bargain bins you used to get at EB Games and Harvey Norman and such.. which have been taken up by the Sony and Microsoft console bargain bins.

Well, really it's just replaced the bargain bins you used to get at EB Games and Harvey Norman and such.. which have been taken up by the Sony and Microsoft console bargain bins.

Yeah, but they were always full of crap. You wouldn't get bargains like Far Cry 3 for ?5 for example.

Yeah, but they were always full of crap. You wouldn't get bargains like Far Cry 3 for ?5 for example.

Not so, once games have been out for a year, depending on the developer/publisher and how much money they had already made back on their investment, major title discounts could be found (now that you mention it, I swear I had previously seen Far Cry 1 in one of those orange CD cases marked for $10 back in the day). The digital medium is helped in that production and shipping costs are $0, every sale, even if they're only getting $1 or less per unit moved, getting sales when they would never have sold at $10. It all just counts as bonus profit to them and to Steam.. as well as improving public awareness to possible future iterations and other games from the developer.

At least that's the way I see it.. happy for Chief or Ross to prove me wrong in their feelings for this developing sales medium.

Not so, once games have been out for a year, depending on the developer/publisher and how much money they had already made back on their investment, major title discounts could be found (now that you mention it, I swear I had previously seen Far Cry 1 in one of those orange CD cases marked for $10 back in the day). The digital medium is helped in that production and shipping costs are $0, every sale, even if they're only getting $1 or less per unit moved, getting sales when they would never have sold at $10. It all just counts as bonus profit to them and to Steam.. as well as improving public awareness to possible future iterations and other games from the developer.

At least that's the way I see it.. happy for Chief or Ross to prove me wrong in their feelings for this developing sales medium.

Digital costs us roughly the same percentage of income as physical, the risk is less because you only pay the digital platform fees at the time of download whereas the physical platform fees are paid at the time of production.

Digital costs us roughly the same percentage of income as physical, the risk is less because you only pay the digital platform fees at the time of download whereas the physical platform fees are paid at the time of production.

In other words...

;)

Attachments

3.4 KB · Views: 193
Steam is all well and good, but driving 20km to a friends house who has a good internet connection with my tower PC, and back whenever something needs downloading, is going to prove a real headache.. It's left a real us and them in terms of PC gaming with countries with poor internet.. Now games are released that are rubbish out of the box and you have to download gigabytes worth of patches to get them to work

Ross the Boss, one little question...r u 100% sure that PC version will be out in May...just asked because me and my friends wants to play IPL competitions...Pleaseeeeeeee reply

Ross the Boss, one little question...r u 100% sure that PC version will be out in May...just asked because me and my friends wants to play IPL competitions...Pleaseeeeeeee reply

He's as sure as he can be. At the very least it will be a minimum 2 months after the release of the console versions due to restrictions by microsoft/sony on digital distribution. Therefore if you take the latest date of the console release (31st March) then look at it as 31st May as a potential PC date.

Source: a little bit of logic

God I hate, just hate the IPL...........thanks for reminding me why.

In other words...

;)

Not really. Steam just take the same sort of percentage that any retailer would take. You get around the manufacturing/delivery cost, but that's not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things.

What it DOES give you is flexibility to change the price as you see fit. Sales promotions are where you can tempt those who otherwise might have bought it.

I'm greatly interested to see how it goes: We never did an IC10 PC version because (*disclaimer* according to public sources online) sales of AC09 on PC would not have even covered the cost of development (reportedly less than 0.5% of the console sales). But since then the playing field has changed greatly (AC09 was only available digitally on Boonty. *BOONTY*!) and now only 5 years later digital is a HUGELY more developed market. I would expect it, with Steam, to make up a *much* bigger percentage of sales now.

For DBC I'd reckon 20% of sales will be digital, and a good chunk of that will be PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread