Don Bradman Cricket 14 PC PLAYABLE NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games usually have a date finalised at least 4-6 months before release. Not 2-3 weeks.
Smaller company with fewer resources to sustain a long marketing campaign - putting out a few videos here and there wouldn't be enough to keep interest in a cricket game in a wider audience against all the other competition.

A big burst closer to the release date has been their strategy previously.

Games usually have a date finalised at least 4-6 months before release. Not 2-3 weeks.
From the examples given, its not the case wit BigAnt.;)
Seriously guys, they being professional, knows better on how to deal with such things and plan out what would be beneficial for their product!!(and I bet they are more worried about it than us)

Maybe a longer campaign is a risk considering the short attention spans and impatience of some people!!
After six months some may hav forgotten about the game

Yes but the announcement of the release date should not really be the launching point of the campaign.

Yes it should because otherwise this thread would be full of people saying "The game is due X weeks from now, why haven't I seen any promotional material or gameplay or [insert whatever you think you deserve here]"

Im saying it should just be announced and done with

Because we all know how that worked out for Ashes 13 don't we?

Id really just like to know what difference it makes if you announce a release date 6 months before (like every other video game on the planet) or 3 weeks before. Is there some sort of advantage? i just really cant understand it.

"Every other video game on the planet" statement, requires citation.

Lots of games don't announce release dates, you've also already been given TruBlu's marketing strategy for their other titles which shows a succent marketing and promotional timetable.

What you don't understand is promotion and marketing, ANY kind of promotion and marketing, costs money. A lot, usually, if it's done correctly. This is a start-up brand, with an all-new gameplay system in a market that hasn't been tested with a product for four years. There's obviously a risk-and-reward assessment been done by TruBlu and BigAnt and they're looking long term for profits (not short term) but any marketing is going to need to be punchy, tight and guerrilla-style - not the wall to wall bus banners you would get for a big studio AAA product. They don't have the money, basically. Under those circumstances, you don't release a date 6 months in advance (during an entirely different cricket season, by the way) and then not have the finances to back that up for that period. They don't have that kinda resourcing... therefore, they're going to go hard and fast over a few weeks and punch above their weight and between the eyes which will get them the best bang for their buck.

EDIT:

For what it's worth, this is my wheelhouse. I kinda know what I'm talking about here...

Last edited:
I just want to know what the people begging for the release date will actually do once it is announced?

Yes it should because otherwise this thread would be full of people saying "The game is due X weeks from now, why haven't I seen any promotional material or gameplay or [insert whatever you think you deserve here]"

Because we all know how that worked out for Ashes 13 don't we?

"Every other video game on the planet" statement, requires citation.

Lots of games don't announce release dates, you've also already been given TruBlu's marketing strategy for their other titles which shows a succent marketing and promotional timetable.

What you don't understand is promotion and marketing, ANY kind of promotion and marketing, costs money. A lot, usually, if it's done correctly. This is a start-up brand, with an all-new gameplay system in a market that hasn't been tested with a product for four years. There's obviously a risk-and-reward assessment been done by TruBlu and BigAnt and they're looking long term for profits (not short term) but any marketing is going to need to be punchy, tight and guerrilla-style - not the wall to wall bus banners you would get for a big studio AAA product. They don't have the money, basically. Under those circumstances, you don't release a date 6 months in advance (during an entirely different cricket season, by the way) and then not have the finances to back that up for that period. They don't have that kinda resourcing... therefore, they're going to go hard and fast over a few weeks and punch above their weight and between the eyes which will get them the best bang for their buck.

Look, i understand marketing and promotion, i have a degree in strategic marketing. I get what theyre doing with their promotion and i never said anything about how they promote their product. All i said was why the announcement of a release date is always the start of a campaign for them, when normally in the video gaming industry release dates are usually something that is announced when the game is announced. I dont see them losing/gaining any money by announcing a release date 2-3 weeks prior to release or 2-3 months prior to release.

Last edited:
Bigg's funda :p :
2416193.jpg

Look, i understand marketing and promotion, i have a degree in strategic marketing. I get what theyre doing with their promotion and i never said anything about how they promote their product. All i said was why the announcement of a release date is always the start of a campaign for them, when normally in the video gaming industry release dates are usually something that is announced when the game is announced. I dont see them losing/gaining any money by announcing a released date 2-3 weeks prior to release or 2-3 months prior to release.

Are people missing the fact that 2-3 months ago, Ross made it pretty clear that they hadn't finalised the release date yet?

They couldn't have announced it because it didn't exist at that point...

Are people missing the fact that 2-3 months ago, Ross made it pretty clear that they hadn't finalised the release date yet?

They couldn't have announced it because it didn't exist at that point...

Pretty weird considering they've been saying they have had a finished game since July-August (maybe earlier, cant remember)

"Finished Game" and "Released Game" are two entirely different things. There's already a Day One patch coming... use your imagination there.

when normally in the video gaming industry release dates are usually something that is announced when the game is announced...

Again, citation required.

You're pulling a fantastic Balkeet and making stuff up... I loathe to make this example, but Rockstar doesn't announce a date when they do a new product. Watchdogs was announced without a date by Ubisoft and for what it's worth the iPhone was announced long before a street date or production models had been sent from Korea...

There's plenty of examples of games that don't announce with a date. You've also already been given examples of TruBlu games that announce with a short promotional timetable and, again, without a release date.

You needed to study harder in your degree if you don't get any of this, by the way.

Pretty weird considering they've been saying they have had a finished game since July-August (maybe earlier, cant remember)

Not really...why would a finished game necessarily mean a finalised release date?

You set the date based on competitive forces, not on the fact that the game is finished...

"Finished Game" and "Released Game" are two entirely different things. There's already a Day One patch coming... use your imagination there.

Again, citation required.

You're pulling a fantastic Balkeet and making stuff up... I loathe to make this example, but Rockstar doesn't announce a date when they do a new product. Watchdogs was announced without a date by Ubisoft and for what it's worth the iPhone was announced long before a street date or production models had been sent from Korea...

There's plenty of examples of games that don't announce with a date. You've also already been given examples of TruBlu games that announce with a short promotional timetable and, again, without a release date.

You needed to study harder in your degree if you don't get any of this, by the way.

Jeez relax all i was doing was a discussion on release dates, no need to act like big ant's biggest ass kisser. Umm if i remember GTA 5 had announced its release date of September 17 around Jan-Feb?

Jeez relax all i was doing was a discussion on release dates, no need to act like big ant's biggest ass kisser. Umm if i remember GTA 5 had announced its release date of September 17 around Jan-Feb?

Comparing the BIGGEST media launch of all time to DBC 14...that doesn't really assist your argument.

It seems logical for big ant to go for a big push!! It's better for them to not waste money on a long campaign, tryin to produce assets etc to keep people interested over a long period is expensive, surely we want a better game, so it's wise to spend the money in the game. It may be different for bigger games like FIFA, who know they can risk millions, knowing they'll get it back. Cricket is a smaller market. An more intimate, so strategies have to be different. Think if it as the difference between courting a lady and a prostitute, one you give time and effort to one you jump on!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread