Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

This just proves the following:
don't fix it if its not broken!
I just wish they would have kept all the things that were working well from the previous title.
Just disappointed that after having such a solid base from dbc 2014, they failed to produce a more polished game, and instead messed up the things that were working well previously.

So after playing for like 10 hours on xbox (Offline) in the last couple of days, I have mixed feelings about the game. While some of the reactions here have been harsh, I believe they are somewhat justified as well (albeit if put across in a milder tone). My assumption behind buying the latest iteration at launch was that the game would have taken forward using the previous game as the base version, though the case now is that they have aimed at remodeling a lot of things which has taken away a lot of the goods. I do not bother about the graphics as much as the immersion levels. The graphics are better than the last one and I don't know how people are saying it's a downgrade. I played a test match with the downloaded NZ and SA at SCG and the game looked pretty good with all the detailing on the kits and teams (despite logos being low res). Problems begin once you figure out that certain things are completely broken or look out of place. For example - field view tutorial not working on xbox, finicky cameras, broken DRS, team logos looking out of place in a tournament fixture sheet, lack of complete 360 controls etc (I have been able to at least glance though). These things disappoint me a bit and for friends, to who I have marketed the franchise like crazy and who are buying into DBC for the first time, it becomes crazier to explain why certain things are a little off the mark and they will get better in the future patches. I don't mind the patches but for a game for which we are paying the same amount as a AAA game, there should be a certain level of polish. I paid lesser for Fifa 17 at launch and while that game also launched with irksome faults (stupid goalkeepers and input lag), basics were still there to keep me going for hours.

That said, I think it's a really niche market that the developers are catering to and DBC14 was an absolute pleasure to play once the issues were ironed out. I absolutely love bowling in the latest one and that's one area alone for which I'll suggest people to buy the game. But I am a person who would have even bought Ashes 13 with all its faults if there wasn't an alternative so my threshold with cricket games is pretty high and DBC clearly is a lot better. Let's get those bugs away quickly, please?

Edit : Totally forgot why I was put off from playing last night. I think there are some frame rate issues and screen tearing while a batsman views the field. Might be because I was playing in a custom stadium? Happened during a custom T10 knockout tournament with downloaded teams.

The bowling is outstanding in this. It's what's keeps me coming back for more until I can begin my career

got the game on the 15th December on xbox one.I have been playing for 3 days now. I must say that i really love the new custom batting and bowling options where you can adjust sliders to your personal preferences.SO i play on custom mode and not easy ,medium or hard mode.

The bowling controls are great this time.Makes you wanna manually bowl instead of simulating innings.

just a few issues Ive encountered. When batting, the fielding 1 running camera is missing, cover drives seem to go in the same space.The square drive should be changed to the one in don bradman cricket 14, hard to pull offf backfoot shots , and waiting for get best to start functioning so I can get all the teams in one go.

Also one serious glitch i encountered - i manually downloaded a community created team for all the main international teams ,then when i went to play a casual match when i got to the country and ground selection the game get stuck. so i deleted my save files and it worked again.But if the above issues can be resolved - this is a terrific cricket game .

I really feel the game's batting is poor...
No cover drives... its almost impossible to hit the ball to fine leg... also fine third man is not reachable, the ball goes to squarish third man always....cut shot to spinners is a joke...i have seen the most outrageous catches taken by the wk while trying to cut...also when i try to square cut a fast bowler the batsman shuffles to the offside a little and many a times the ball hits the pad... why cant he stay put just like it was in dbc 14...backfoot shots are almost impossible to execute...

Dont really like the sound of ball hitting the bat as well... it sounds like u hit a golf ball... i think dbc 14's bat hitting the ball sound was spot on (though its not that important)...

Also, the game overall feels unnaturally slowed down...

Realy hope things get sorted. Very disappointed

I batted in a historic 8 ball over test with England and Australia 30s teams yesterday.

Was pretty enjoyable, though the backward point to extra cover being inaccessible on the drive was obviously a chore.

Sepia filter was nice, and the Candlelight filter is beautiful.

As with DBC14 patience was the key - reached 50/2 off 15 (8 ball) overs. 1 of the wickets a silly stumping which was a shame.

Has anybody tried back foot drive? Is it also restricted to that area between extra cover and mid off?

Last edited:
I hit one back-foot drive yesterday that *may* have gone between cover and extra-cover but I was so excited to see it not go straight towards mid-off I may have exaggerated it in my mind slightly.

I got my ps4 copy today. My first impression about the game is that graphics look pretty good. Stadiums look stunning. Player models are well detailed. I got top edged fours, inside edges and some great straight drives.

However, the thing about the placement of cover drives is true. But i did not face the running between the wickets issue. I deliberately tried to run while ball went to a close in fielder and was run out twice. This was in a 20-20 game.

Another issue which i feel is that gameplay modifiers need to be explained somewhere like what does the ball marker timer does. I couldn't get it to work.

Further, i increased the pace max to 75 and noticed that the wicket keeper left too many balls that went for byes.

Overall, it seems to be a good solid game with some minor glitches which im sure will be corrected.

Also, i did not get a single crash but i didnt use get best feature. I will post more as i play longer.

Hi, would have been such a fantastic game but shame the game as it stands is riddled with bugs, it only currently allows me to play casual games... haven't tried career and competition crashes the game... cannot download getbest teams as a batch but can individually, which is frustrating... I paid £54.99 for this... I don't even think shops will give me a full refund as it's a game...:(

Hi, would have been such a fantastic game but shame the game as it stands is riddled with bugs, it only currently allows me to play casual games... haven't tried career and competition crashes the game... cannot download getbest teams as a batch but can individually, which is frustrating... I paid £54.99 for this... I don't even think shops will give me a full refund as it's a game...:(

Get Best isn't a bug. It's because the creations aren't done yet

Has anybody tried back foot drive? Is it also restricted to that area between extra cover and mid off?

I tried cover/off drives off the back foot thinking it might help. It didn't. First up back foot in DBC 17 has been nerfed for some reason and it's quite difficult to nail drives off the back foot but when I did manage to hit a few they went the same direction as the front foot ones. Cover region, fine leg/long leg and 3rd man areas are still off limits even when you play off the back foot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread