Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

I batted in a historic 8 ball over test with England and Australia 30s teams yesterday.

Was pretty enjoyable, though the backward point to extra cover being inaccessible on the drive was obviously a chore.

Sepia filter was nice, and the Candlelight filter is beautiful.

As with DBC14 patience was the key - reached 50/2 off 15 (8 ball) overs. 1 of the wickets a silly stumping which was a shame.

How are the historical teams? I'm guessing they haven't been updated since DBC14?

In DBC14 the players also had modern pads, bats etc as a default which took ages to fix. Is it quicker here?

Also I'm excited to release shortly my old school MCG which should help for some historical matches. I'm aiming for a couple of eras of it.

How are the historical teams? I'm guessing they haven't been updated since DBC14?

In DBC14 the players also had modern pads, bats etc as a default which took ages to fix. Is it quicker here?

Also I'm excited to release shortly my old school MCG which should help for some historical matches. I'm aiming for a couple of eras of it.

They were all default, not updated. I will bring through them and change stuff when I get more time.

It was great that they were using 8 ball overs automatically by choosing an historic test, set in Australia.

I tried cover/off drives off the back foot thinking it might help. It didn't. First up back foot in DBC 17 has been nerfed for some reason and it's quite difficult to nail drives off the back foot but when I did manage to hit a few they went the same direction as the front foot ones. Cover region, fine leg/long leg and 3rd man areas are still off limits even when you play off the back foot.

I also got to play backfoot drive but the direction remains same. Cant play much squarer where cover drive is meant to go

Apart from some of the points, one point none has mentioned is that crowd gets into the game. I missed to bowl initially a few times and the crowd started booing as if i was doing it deliberately. It would be nice if this happens in tense moment of a game :)

Damn Royce, I think you need to calm the hell down. BA are going to solve any major problem as soon as they can. I understand that some are having crashes and bugs but your best chance is to report them properly so BA can solve it asap. What is the point of asking for a refund or just ranting cause you paid? You want a cricket game and BA is the only one doing it and with so much effort. I'm sorry you thought it was going to be a perfect game from Day 1. Guess what, Day 1 is still 3 days away and BA was decent enough let you play the game before it even released.

But more than everything, you need to understand DBC is a product that involves the feedback of fans more than any other game. You need to stop treating it like some cash grab game. The only way DBC is going to get better and better is when the fans cooperate. Ross or BA doesn't lose anything by shutting off DBC's future iterations and moving onto bigger games like tennis. We, the fans, will be the one at loss.

You have the right to speak. Use it with wisely.

Damn Royce, I think you need to calm the hell down. BA are going to solve any major problem as soon as they can. I understand that some are having crashes and bugs but your best chance is to report them properly so BA can solve it asap. What is the point of asking for a refund or just ranting cause you paid? You want a cricket game and BA is the only one doing it and with so much effort. I'm sorry you thought it was going to be a perfect game from Day 1. Guess what, Day 1 is still 3 days away and BA was decent enough let you play the game before it even released.

But more than everything, you need to understand DBC is a product that involves the feedback of fans more than any other game. You need to stop treating it like some cash grab game. The only way DBC is going to get better and better is when the fans cooperate. Ross or BA doesn't lose anything by shutting off DBC's future iterations and moving onto bigger games like tennis. We, the fans, will be the one at loss.

You have the right to speak. Use it with wisely.

A good point well made, but we have still parted with top title money, and I think the lot of the frustrations have been the things that were so good from DBC14 not being present. It's almost like a different company made 17.

A good point well made, but we have still parted with top title money, and I think the lot of the frustrations have been the things that were so good from DBC14 not being present. It's almost like a different company made 17.
Yes, from the looks of things, it could well be BAS and Hello Games' lovechild. Jokes apart, the game desperately needs some heavy patching.

Okay. Have just completed my first bowling innings on rookie coz I like to start easy and these are my impressions. This is a First Class match

Good things:

• Some excellent edged dismissals. It felt less like I was just waiting for the player to spoon it to an outfielder like they're Rahul on 199 and more like I was trying to bowl them out properly unlike in DBC14.
  • Had an excellent spinner's dismissal when somebody gave me the charge when I'd sent it in a bit bouncier. Ball ballooned off the bat and pad to my keeper (although why he had zoomed round when short leg was there is anybody's guess) and it was a proper human mistake from the batsman to prevent the spinner getting on top. Liked it.
  • Spinning is a real art and takes a while to get used to it especially when used to DBC14's one but it seems more legitimately dangerous rather than the easy sweep trap you could set up in the last game.
  • Liked that in the big partnership (well 68) between the batsman one came out swinging early to take advantage of my young bowlers and one sat and defended better. It didn't feel like a 'flick the switch' scenario though as Cowdrey played some decent shots to decent balls at times as well
  • Fields STAY SET TO BATSMEN even if you change a bowler. YAY!
Thing I am yet unsure of/need improvement

• Struggled around with the fielding/bowling change screen. Would love that bowling change screen to just be a button rather than three especially as I like to look at those bowler stats before I do. This might well be me though. I also miss the insta move your field around button from DBC14. Keeping that would've been excellent
  • Feels like it is easiesh to game certain dismissals due everyone's aversion to hitting through the covers. It's like someone who really hated James Vince's batting last summer decided to just remove the shot completely. This makes it easy to set fields as you can near enough ignore anything from cover to point.
  • Too many cut shots and late dabs to full balls. I imagine this is a side effect of the lack of cover drives.
  • Batsmen seem to only hit in specific areas and again I think is linked to the above. Between point and third man, midwicket, in the v down the ground, between square and fine leg. Nothing went really fine, a few went into the covers (these tended to be toe-enders and there was one flowing over the top shot) and there was nothing fine on either end.
  • Also miss the old R3 of pushing in and seeing instantly a batsman's main weakness/strengths and the bowlers stamina and confidence. Am I missing a button as it seems the only way to judge your bowler's stamina is to go into the bowling change screen.
  • Playing a first class match and the game started at 10:30 and I bowled 38 overs before lunch which was past 1pm
Overall the experience was not too bad at all for a first go.

Don%20Bradman%20Cricket%2017_20161218183912_zpsqs0pnni0.jpg

214ao. The Blake/Cowdrey partnership was the best one and was genuine starting to vex me before Zaidi got that cool dismissal I mentioned. Porter got two bowleds. The first was one of those terrible cutshot played ons which the batsman should not have been playing while the second was a bona fide and genuine off-cutter which totally flumoxed Ball and castled him. LBWs seem like a tough ask.

Don%20Bradman%20Cricket%2017_20161218183921_zpszwkwudy9.jpg

I started extremely expensively but got some good early wickets Porter and was able to choke them with Ravi which is good. Kept all my pace bowlers below 4 though and would've kept my spinners below 4 I think if I'd bowled more with them. Game on anyways. Batting next.

• Bowling action animations let the game down. I understand it will be possible to have some motion captured animations for the next edition. This will improve an already decent game hugely.
  • Anyone who has said that the graphics in the 14 version are better than in this one are crazy. On my Xbox One the graphics look lovely.
  • Well done on the added editing options. It makes a real difference having real kits, bats and logos in the game.
  • Commentary is awful. There is no life to it, and it is very buggy. Cricket games must be a nightmare to make commentary for, though, and it's not a major issue.
  • I can't seem to find an option to turn off the red circle around the ball. Does one exist?

ok here are my thoughts - I haven't bowled yet just batted in a few games:

1. Commentary is very boring doesn't bring life to the game
2 I like that you can see the colored circle at the top of bowlers release - now I can switch foot work as you have more time
3. harder to hit sixes which is good but too easy to get 8 an over without a risk
4. I'm a stats guy and it looks like some stats have been taken out - in a 20 over game it doesn't tell you the required run rate or how many runs in how many balls till there is 5 overs left ?
5. don't really like the idea of downloading one by one teams - in DBC14 you downloaded all the teams at once - no big deal here just saying
6. I downloaded the sri Lankan team and the stats for the players didn't come thru - did I do something wrong or is this a bug?
7. love the stadiums and bats that are on the game - ive played games at blundstone arena, ethihad stadium and the Gabba and they look really good - need more grounds in the sub continent though please haha.
8. people are complaining about the cover drive but I don't mind it - It is annoying that fine leg is a pretty much dead zone you cant hit there even when sweeping - I have hit quite a few fours thru covers

overall I still like it better than DBC14 - the graphics, stadiums, bats and point 2 above have made it better - still a few bugs with it but im sure in time it will get fixed

I'm starting to doubt whether the timing indicator means anything with batting. I seem to get "Ideal" in all categories and still have the ball lamely float to a fielder. I am having a cracking time bowling though, a few niggly bugs here and there but I am sure these will be ironed out. "Get Best" doesn't work at all which isn't too much drama, in whatever parallel universe my career is in I am the worst BlackCaps captain of the modern era. Imagine a fast bowling Lee Germon.

4. I'm a stats guy and it looks like some stats have been taken out - in a 20 over game it doesn't tell you the required run rate or how many runs in how many balls till there is 5 overs left ?
This too. I have to go into the pause menu and check the match summary to see how many runs are needed. Surely the target score, number of balls remaining and required run rate should be shown prominently on the overlays?

This too. I have to go into the pause menu and check the match summary to see how many runs are needed. Surely the target score, number of balls remaining and required run rate should be shown prominently on the overlays?
I would froth this.

If you press up on the D pad when batting u can see stamina and confidence levels and change batting lineup
Also if you press up on the D pad when bowling u can set quick fields for each batsman or change bowlers
Ive also noticed the Run rate required overlays turn up in the latter stages of a match. Usually if there is less than 100balls or runs remaining. Too late IMO. Stats overlays should be more frequent. Especially targets

Has anyone ever played an off drive and spooned it to a fielder? It seems to always go safely along the ground, unless you knick it.

Users who are viewing this thread