Don Bradman Cricket 17 First Impressions Thread

So your suggesting that if Big Ant pushed the release date by [insert time period here], did a bunch more testing and fixing, THEN released, we wouldn't have a better product on release day?

That's all extra money. And missing Xmas there might be less sales.

So actually you might end up with a game that never got released as it wouldn't be economical, and that would probably be it for cricket games for the foreseeable future.

And most annoyingly, them peoples also know where to find an Aussie edge! Boo hoo

It's almost literally the same. Half a dozen people experiencing some issues, majority of whom are new members to the forum. Same thing happened last time around, they all disappeared after the first patch, the rest of us stuck around to help guide the game into the awesome product it became, and still is, right now.

I must say I only partially agree with this. There is no doubt you can have fun with this game, particularly with bowling, but I don't think it's right to say that just "half a dozen people" are the ones complaining and just the new guys. There are some fundamental issues that established members of the PC community have picked up on. I suppose some of the more "hardcore" PCers won't play until the PC version and that's fine.

For me the issues are game-breaking. Not in the sense that it's impossible to play a game and have fun but game-breaking in the sense that I have no desire to play the game "properly." You could literally bat an entire innings purely playing an off drive. Occasionally the ball will be too wide and you will miss, and occasionally you might edge it, but overall you can get at least one every time you hit it. I may even play some games where I sim the batting and play only the bowling. Imagine that in games gone by!

Furthermore, even if the reaction is almost entirely the same, that itself must be an indicator of something really going wrong. DBC14 was the first cricket game in years and was clearly trying to break new ground and revolutionize the genre. It could be forgiven for some early hiccups. This is the second release, coming years after DBC14 + many patches and community support. I think it's perfectly reasonable that a more polished product is expected on day one. No one expected it to be perfect but at least an unambiguous improvement on what has come before.

Royce literally expected the product to be perfect. His words.

I'm not commenting on the game only the hyperbolic trash-bagging by uncredible sources. So far the majority of credible sources, Blocker being the most obvious, have raised valid issues in a format that creates discussion, dissemenation and good ol' fashioned fun.

I must say I only partially agree with this. There is no doubt you can have fun with this game, particularly with bowling, but I don't think it's right to say that just "half a dozen people" are the ones complaining and just the new guys. There are some fundamental issues that established members of the PC community have picked up on. I suppose some of the more "hardcore" PCers won't play until the PC version and that's fine.

For me the issues are game-breaking. Not in the sense that it's impossible to play a game and have fun but game-breaking in the sense that I have no desire to play the game "properly." You could literally bat an entire innings purely playing an off drive. Occasionally the ball will be too wide and you will miss, and occasionally you might edge it, but overall you can get at least one every time you hit it. I may even play some games where I sim the batting and play only the bowling. Imagine that in games gone by!

Furthermore, even if the reaction is almost entirely the same, that itself must be an indicator of something really going wrong. DBC14 was the first cricket game in years and was clearly trying to break new ground and revolutionize the genre. It could be forgiven for some early hiccups. This is the second release, coming years after DBC14 + many patches and community support. I think it's perfectly reasonable that a more polished product is expected on day one. No one expected it to be perfect but at least an unambiguous improvement on what has come before.

This is the biggest question for me. Why, having got DBC14 to such a good state did they throw out so much?

What we have here is NOT a second iteration of DBC, but a first iteration of something else altogether. There is almost nothing of DBC14 in this game, for good or bad.

Don't know how much survived in terms of code etc. but from the player's perspective they are two different games.

Game looks amazing. Though i haven't played it and im not able to my xbox just got the red ring of death so maybe its time to get a ps4 with dbc17.

So that you can silence the guys who havent played yet?

It is a public forum and everyone is entiled to their pov, as am I. I am trying to raise the bar a little, at the moment the bar is a nats testicle above "cesspit".

Do you mean a gnat?

gnat_210x201.jpg

Well that's going too far then.

I simply expected it to have a cover drive.

I thought MattW was added to the BigAnt team to assist in development (or some such). Surely, and don't call me Shirley, he would have spotted a lack of cover drive during his tenure there? Or was he just there for shits and giggles? :p

I'm not commenting on the game only the hyperbolic trash-bagging by uncredible sources. So far the majority of credible sources, Blocker being the most obvious, have raised valid issues in a format that creates discussion, dissemenation and good ol' fashioned fun.
I am not sure whether Royce or anyone else expected the game to be perfect. That's your perception—or just a poor strawman. I don't see why you should question someone's credibility when they are not the only ones who have expressed a negative view of the game.

Please comment only on the game and not on individuals.

Royce says he bought the game. Do you have any "credible" reason to doubt that? Further, he seems to be of the view that the game is woefully broken. Do you have any reason to doubt his ability to independently assess the quality of a cricket game (especially when there are many others with a similarly dim view of the game)? Or do you think assessing the quality of a cricket game is the preserve of only those who have been coming to this site since times immemorial?

For dog's sake, you can't play the cover drive in this game. Certain shots on the leg side are unreasonably difficult to pull off, as are bouncers. There are crashes galore (though to BAS's credit the auto save feature does seem to provide a bit of relief on this count). There can be no gainsaying the fact that the game just isn't finished (let alone perfect).

I am personally willing to wait a few months, but do realize that not everyone out there can be expected to be so patient after having parted with $60-100.

Indeed, this forums very existence is proof that no cricket game, ever, has been perfect the first time and it's only thanks to many of us, supported by and working with Big Ant that we got close with DBC14.

More than a decade of cricket gaming has shown this to be true. The modern era of gaming development, deadlines and financing simply adds to the historical data.

So, because it hasn't been done yet, this makes it impossible??? Have there been other games that have released relatively bug free, cos I'm pretty sure there have been...

It's almost literally the same. Half a dozen people experiencing some issues, majority of whom are new members to the forum. Same thing happened last time around, they all disappeared after the first patch, the rest of us stuck around to help guide the game into the awesome product it became, and still is, right now.

So your telling me, they released DBC 14, there were angry people on the forums, they released a patch which presumably fixed things, then these people disappeared off the forums... how is that not what you would expect in this situation, seems they got what they wanted, so they stopped complaining... ???

A-Tweakin'-Men. The discourse here is always of a higher standard. Lots of intelligent, fun folks. It's truly depressing to see many new people joining recently and not getting how things work around here. This isn't a facebook comments section.

Go join a country club... this is an internet forum... Ooh I know, tell BA to fix their game and less of us "idiots" will come here with our concerns!!

1 - If your going to suggest I have said something, quote it...
2 - I went back and re-did my OP so it was less offensive and more objective...
3 - My OP has created discussion, much discussion indeed...

I think the game is near bang on. Much better than db14 was initially at release. The only things that I don't like is the batting shot selection not yet being complete. I'm aware it is on the way mind!
The only other thing is I bowl spin in career and one thing is getting me a bit. No matter how much you adjust your line you will only ever bowl 4th stumpish area. I would prefer more allowance for error and play in line selection. Has anyone else found this?

Users who are viewing this thread