Don Bradman Cricket in the Press

Mid October cool if true, September is full of huge games and as everyone knows most people buy a new release in the first week or so.:spy

Here's the talksport segment, slightly less positive on the Bradman idea, but what do you expect.

I'm amazed Talksport even know it exists.
To be honest, that will be the reaction of a fair few people when the game comes out over here. The gaming generation might not have heard of Bradman (as sad as that is).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed Talksport even know it exists.
To be honest, that will be the reaction of a fair few people when the game comes out over here. The gaming generation might not have heard of Bradman (as sad as that is).

Michael Underwood is that rarest of things in the media: someone who is massively into Cricket AND video games!

Yeah, sadly the gaming generation in the UK have very little awareness of anything that happened pre-Botham/Gooch. Anything before that was in black and white! :-)
I think this is largely down to a lack of interest throughout England's huge yawning chasm in achievements between the early 80's and 2005 - we lost a whole couple of generations through that. Obviously the Aussies maintained through the same period on a crest of crushing wins!

I recently watched Ken Burns' documentary series about the history of baseball: I couldn't help but think that Cricket has infinitely MORE history/stories and yet no-one has made something of that scale (Each episode of "Baseball" covers one decade, and lasts for 2 hours: about 20 hours in total!). Feels like someone should do that for cricket whilst some of the guys who could tell first-hand stories are still with us. For me it's not been documented properly anywhere.

Hopefully DB14 will inspire a new UK generation to explore Cricket history a bit more!

\
I recently watched Ken Burns' documentary series about the history of baseball: I couldn't help but think that Cricket has infinitely MORE history/stories and yet no-one has made something of that scale (Each episode of "Baseball" covers one decade, and lasts for 2 hours: about 20 hours in total!). Feels like someone should do that for cricket whilst some of the guys who could tell first-hand stories are still with us. For me it's not been documented properly anywhere.

Hopefully DB14 will inspire a new UK generation to explore Cricket history a bit more!

I have thought exactly the same thing! I recently watched the Ken Burns series myself (its fantastic!!) and surely cricket can come up with something similar(better). For a sport like cricket that has so many stories to tell there is very little in the way of good Doco's, although the calypso cricket (fire in babylon?)one from a year or two ago was good.

Last edited:
I have thought exactly the same thing! I recently watched the Ken Burns series myself (its fantastic!!) and surely cricket can come up with something similar(better). For a sport like cricket that has so many stories to tell there is very little in the way of good Doco's, although the calypso cricket one from a year or two ago was good.

I'm no huge fan of Baseball, but I love sports and I love history... With some sports the two complement each other and become inseparable - Baseball is a great example of that (perhaps because America's history has been more compressed!).

But there's amazing stories to be told throughout cricket too: how it ties with colonialisation, deportation, Apartheid, rebellion, breakaway leagues... Great characters too.

Aside from the likeness and the old kit items and B&W, which probably would have been in the game anyway, we're yet to see anything that the Bradman license actually adds to the game feature wise. I love having Bradman on the cover and officially in the game, and I love what it says about the quality, but as of yet (pending future press releases) the game hasn't changed much.

I also don't think it will change English sales too much. It could be called Ed Cowan Cricket 14 but the word will get around that it's good quality. There will still be some mothers who know no more who will buy Ashes for the name but anyone who has ever logged onto Facebook or read a review will know that Bradman is the way to go.

Will ross or mikey be doing a new Q&A exclusively for planet cricket? The old one is quite outdated now and mentions some stuffs that is not true anymore, like career modes, online saving etc.

Will ross or mikey be doing a new Q&A exclusively for planet cricket? The old one is quite outdated now and mentions some stuffs that is not true anymore, like career modes, online saving etc.

Aren't they already doing that on a daily basis :p

Yes lol, but q&a is more like for the newcomers and it is just more official, like a press release. Imagine if a new comer comes and reads the q&a thread...he will get the wrong ideas for the game.

Someone can always edit the current q&a and add * with descriptions where things have changed.

Ross
Official play station magazine (uk) has a small preview on DB14 :yes
But also has one for ashes cricket! :rolleyes

Ross
Official play station magazine (uk) has a small preview on DB14 :yes
But also has one for ashes cricket! :rolleyes

Thanks Graham, would you have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread