DRAFT! Ashes history...

Who's drafted the best Ashes team?

• Total voters

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
And I was worried that the older players might not get as much love in this draft as they deserve...and I was thinking a few of these guys would slide under the radar and be able to be picked later. Not so!

Interesting that both Murdoch and Ferris started as Aussies, but decided to play for England...traitors! :p

Both of them represented England against South Africa in the same Test against South Africa that was not granted Test status until many decades later. As England was represented by the MCC at the time, they were both simply going on a cricket tour to a new place, not representing England.

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
My player : Allan Border

50035.jpg
106056.jpg
63091.jpg

Ashes Tests: 47 , Ashes batting average: 56.31 , Ashes Tests as captain: 29 , Ashes record as captain: 13 wins,6 losses, 10 draws .

With no doubt , Allan Border was one of the gifted players to Australia and a magnificent captain as well , Allan Border was a staple in Australia's team from 1978 to 1994 . His highest score against England came in Leeds in July 1993 when he scored 200 not out in a Test . Allan Border with the average of 50.56 in his career he lifted even further when playing in England, averaging 65.06.Border regularly shone against the Old Enemy, especially in the Old Dart. He was very special with the bat and with the ball as well with his BBI being 7/46 which is very unfortunate in test matches and was brilliant in ODIs too as he averaged 28.36 and took 73 wickets . Allan Border has been one of the most successful players in the world and was very talented . He has played some ravishing and awe-inspiring shots which has totally stunned the world . He has scored 8 100s vs England and has scored 3548 runs which makes him the third highest run score leader in the Ashes which is a very respectable record and is yet to be broken . He averaged 47.29 in Australia vs England but with 3 centuries . One of the most successful players Australia ever had .

----------

Manager​
|
Player​
|
PWWII​
Sifter132​
|
Sir Donald Bradman​
|
:tick:
War​
|
John Snow​
|
:x:
Fenil​
|
Herbert Sutcliffe​
|
cricket_icon​
|
Jack Hobbs​
|
Aalay​
|
Shane Warne​
|
KrishnamurthiN​
|
Arthur Mailey​
|
User2010​
|
Adam Gilchrist​
|
The_Author​
|
Billy Murdoch​
|
Umair2000​
|
John James Ferris​
|
Samuels​
|
Glenn McGrath​
|
Sulaiman7
|
Allan Border​
|

PWWII = Pre-world war II era player.

----------

I'll post the other player very soon . :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Allan Border is not a pre world war II era player, Sulaiman7. Btw, you do know you need to pick another player, right?

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
My player : Dennis Lillee

006327.jpg
007831.jpg
52340.jpg

Matches: 29 , Runs: 469 , H/S: 73* , Average: 18.03 , Wickets: 167 , Average: 21 , Best bowling: 7-89 , Best match figures: 11-138 , Five wickets in an innings: 11 , Ten wickets in a match: 4 .

The fastest bowler of his era and one of the most valuable player for Australia and for the whole world as well , Lillee announced himself to Australia, and walked into the nation's heart, on his first Test appearance. It was January 1971, the sixth Test of the Ashes series, at Adelaide Oval. They gave him the new ball . Lillee tore through the Poms, claiming 5-83 from 28.3 overs in his first outing, and he continued to terrify batsmen for the next decade. In the 1971-1972 season, Lillee ripped through a powerful World XI that contained Garry Sobers, Clive Lloyd, Rohan Kanhai and Sunil Gavaskar, taking 8-29. In 1972, he was the outstanding bowler in the Ashes series - as he took 31 wickets at 17.67, his eminence now cohere as the most terrifying bowler on the planet. But Lillee was nearly lost to cricket that same year, after suffering severe stress fractures in his lower vertebrae. Many people thought Lillee would lose the blistering pace that made him such a potent weapon, but, through intensive physiotherapy and a belligerent will, he returned as quick as ever. He's also a gifted player to Australia as he averages just 23.92 with the economy of 2.75 which is a very respectable. He has achieved 355 wickets with such hard work. He was very profilic and a special player as he always had a open shirt from which large hairs were displayed and a golden chain and a head band as well. Dennis Lillee is also famous because of his long bowling run-up which requires a player to be fit and strong which Dennis was indeed.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
SAMUELS Turn

Sulaiman7

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Two Aussies , I'll be looking forward for an impressive tactics . :spy

(1)
(2)
(3) Allan Border
(4)
(5)
(6)
(7)
(8)
(9)
(10) Dennis Lillee
(11)

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Wally Hammond

Wally-Hammond_1860936.jpg
300px-Wally_Hammond.jpg

Records

Overall

Header.png
Overall.png

The Ashes

Header.png
Ashes.png

Aggressive, elegant, consistent and what not? Few batsmen were as capable as Walter Hammond. An excellent driver of the ball, Hammond batted from the position 2 to 6 but most of his success came at #3 and #4 and till date he is considered to be ones of the best ever batsmen to play the game. His consistency and conversion rate can be judged by the fact that he scored 9 centuries in the Ashes and 4 of them were double hundreds! Certainly a man you would love to have in the middle order.​

Hammondbattingorder.png

Hammond's career runs at different batting positions

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Both of them represented England against South Africa in the same Test against South Africa that was not granted Test status until many decades later. As England was represented by the MCC at the time, they were both simply going on a cricket tour to a new place, not representing England.

Makes more sense when it's put that way. I will excuse them somewhat! Good to see the MCC has a long tradition of finding foreign born players though :p

And Glenn McGrath at pick #10, that is some good value. I wondered if McGrath and Lillee might go to the same team - that would be a great new ball pairing!

Allan Border was also excellent vs England, especially when you give his captaincy some value too.

The fastest bowler of his era and one of the most valuable player for Australia and for the whole world as well , Lillee announced himself to Australia, and walked into the nation's heart, on his first Test appearance.

Yah Lillee was fast, but I think a teammate of his, a certain Queenslander with a very slingy action, might argue whether he was the fastest!

Samuels

WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Yah Lillee was fast, but I think a teammate of his, a certain Queenslander with a very slingy action, might argue whether he was the fastest!

I guess the man you are talking about was born in Sydney, NSW. ;)

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
And Ricky Ponting is certainly not in his favourite players list.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Why are the people who picked players played after WW2 have a a red "X" to their names in those charts?

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Why are the people who picked players played after WW2 have a a red "X" to their names in those charts?

To denote that they are not the players who played before world war II. Just in case you don't know, as per the rules stated by Jason, one needs to pick at least 3 pre world war 2 players.

Last edited:

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I'm pretty low down for round 2, just hoping a couple of my big names don't get taken!

But great list so far, so many legends, Hammond, Lillee, Sutcliffe and co. warne was supposed to be my spinner...looks like I'm going to have to fall back onto plan b :spy

Users who are viewing this thread