DRAFT! Ashes history...

Who's drafted the best Ashes team?

• Total voters

Charles Thomas Biass Turner

105309.jpg

Bowling average- 16.53

Batting average- 11.53

Charles Turner was born on 16 November 1862.

Among his accomplishments were:

taking 283 wickets in the English season of 1888 for 11.27 runs each.

taking 314 wickets in all matches in 1888.

taking 106 wickets in twelve matches in the Australian season of 1887/88 - a record for any bowler in Australia.

taking 17 wickets for 50 runs against An England Eleven at Hastings in 1888.

Being the first Australian bowler to reach 100 wickets in Test matches.
his 12 for 87 against England in his record season of 1887/1888 is still the best bowling analysis for a Test at the SCG.
The only bowler to take 50 wickets in his first 6 Test matches.
His early adventures in first-class cricket were unsuccessful, but in 1886/87, when he moved from Bathurst to Sydney to become a banker, his skill developed to a remarkable degree with 70 first-class wickets at 7.68 runs each from just seven matches. In two games against Victoria he took eighteen wickets for 184 runs, but it was his excellence against AS touring side that brought Turner acclaim in the English cricket community. In the first Test, after England were put in on a very sticky pitch, Turner took 6/15 and in the second his combined figures were nine for 93.

One of the greatest player of all time Charles Turner was inducted into the Australian Cricket Hall of Fame on 4TH FEB 2013

Charles Turner died of senile decay on 1 January 1944

Last edited:
Well, people would appreciate if you wrote in your own words as to why you picked him rather than copying and pasting everything from wikipedia.

Oops didn't knew much about him sorry :)

Last edited:
Oops didn't knew much about him sorry :)

----------

I picked him because he is one of my favorite players and with JJ Ferris in my team i wanted to pick him at any cost and yeah i wont copy from wiki next time :)

:clap

I'm pretty low down for round 2, just hoping a couple of my big names don't get taken!

But great list so far, so many legends, Hammond, Lillee, Sutcliffe and co. warne was supposed to be my spinner...looks like I'm going to have to fall back onto plan b :spy

So why didn't you pick Warne then? :p You're right though, plenty of big names taken. But still plenty of good 'uns out there I reckon :yes

I guess the man you are talking about was born in Sydney, NSW. ;)
And Ricky Ponting is certainly not in his favourite players list.

Yeah I didn't realise he started out with NSW! And no he doesn't like Ricky Ponting...or a lot of other things about the modern game :p Also...David Lloyd's groin twitches whenever he sees this mystery fast man :lol :spy

The_Author failed to come up with his player on time. User2010's turn now.

Slow couple of days...KrishnamurthiN is now able to make his pick. Doesn't have to wait for User or Author who have each had their 24 hrs. Those 2 can just post their picks as soon as they are able. So 3 guys could be the next to pick, who will show up first? :p

Slow couple of days...KrishnamurthiN is now able to make his pick. Doesn't have to wait for User or Author who have each had their 24 hrs. Those 2 can just post their picks as soon as they are able. So 3 guys could be the next to pick, who will show up first? :p

yeah been quite slow, got my fingers crossed my next pick isn't taken haha

I don't have any plans for my next pick. :spy

Maybe a keeper....

No one :D

Ricky Thomas Ponting is my pick. His Description and Stats will be posted shortly :)

Ricky Ponting

Yeah the Tasmanian Tiger Ricky Thomas Ponting aka Punter, who successfully lead the australian team for only the second whitewash in Ashes History, current top run getter for Australia worldwide and second to none other than Sir Donald Bradman and the only captain to win two successive world cups is my second pick. His Pics and ashes stats are as follows..

029319-ricky-ponting.jpg
105709.2.jpg

Ricky-Ponting-with-ICC-Cricket-World-Cup-Trophy.jpg

Ashes Stats
Matches: 35
Runs: 2476
Highest Score: 196
Average: 44.21
100s: 8
50s : 9

At times when he wasn't making his bat do the talking he wrote various number of books 8 to be more exact and they were more of cricket diaries..
Some of its images are as follows:
rickypontingsignedbook.jpg

9780732281526.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate you ^ :D

Users who are viewing this thread